Gun Guru's, need advice...

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3325131 said:
Guys, I'm not against people owning guns. I just believe 80% of hand gun owners, have no business owning one in the first place. Most for the sheer fact that they are uneducated about them, or their *true* intention in owning is misplaced.

Education is of the utmost importance when owning and handling guns. They are not toys, or "show and tell" items. They do not making you tough or more of a man. They are the epitome of the word violence as destruction was the sole reason for their invention.

That's what's great about our country.

We can choose to own a gun.

Lest we forget, though, we were given this right for a reason.

When I went to BUDs one of the instructors said to us on the first day of live weps training:

"If you weren't a ****** before training, these guns won't make you a ****** now."

I don't own guns to be a ******. I own guns because it's my right. I own guns because I choose not to be a victim. I own guns because I choose to defend my family.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;3325145 said:
The 80% remark is my opinion. Not a fact of any sort as it's subjective.

Cool.

For the record, I disagree with those who say "guns are not dangerous".

I believe guns are dangerous, that is why it is imperative that a person who seeks to join the ranks of gun owners should get properly trained on how to use the gun.

Not properly cleaning the gun, not having the gun on Safety and other safety provision could result in serious injury, regardless of the intent of the individual.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3325140 said:
I heard a Tucson Police Officer say this exact same thing. Almost word for word.
I can believe it. My dad is a believer in that same throught process.

He's also a gun proponent and has taught my baby sisters how to handle and care for them.

I'm the scary one, but then I'm the only one whose been on the receiving end of gun violence.

It's a trade off. *shrug*

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3325131 said:
Guys, I'm not against people owning guns. I just believe 80% of hand gun owners, have no business owning one in the first place. Most for the sheer fact that they are uneducated about them, or their *true* intention in owning is misplaced.

Education is of the utmost importance when owning and handling guns. They are not toys, or "show and tell" items. They do not making you tough or more of a man. They are the epitome of the word violence as destruction was the sole reason for their invention.

You are right they are not toys. I grew up around guns and I have the utmost respect for the damage a gun can inflicted and I was taught at an early age how to handle a gun and the importance of gun safety. To this day if I have people over who have small kids the gun is put up in a safe place and the clip is hidden in a different place. Once they leave I then will retrieve both. Thing with guns I'm sorry is too late.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3325141 said:
And for the record, I am still on the fence on "Concealed Handguns". I fully the support the right to have a gun on your property, but I am not sure about having it on your person, whether concealed or not.
I look at it like this. If I have my gun with me, a child can't find it accidentally. If I have it with me, something like Va Tech isn't going to escalate. At the very least I am going to make a guy like that focus on me and not the defenseless. They are targets, not threats. He'll focus on the threat.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3325157 said:
I
I'm the scary one, but then I'm the only one whose been on the receiving end of gun violence.

It's a trade off. *shrug*

I've been involved in two such scrapes. The first was an idiot who was just trying to show off to his friends and decided I would be the best person to attack since I was one of the only people he didn't know at the party. Anyhow, I don't carry a gun, so I ran like hell. Afterwards, people who did know me brought his error in judgment to his attention.

The other happened off Wilbarger St in Fort Worth. I was with a friend who wanted to drop by this guys house in that area. I parked my truck outside and we went into his garage. About 15 minutes later some guy came over and an argument broke out and two guys punched and kicked the guy.

About 10 minutes later, 5 cars showed up with like 15 people in them and they got out and it got crazy. My truck was parked in front of the other guys house and I guess they though whoever it was, was friends of that guy. I saw them out there and knew something was going to go down so I went out there hoping to move my car, well the bats and guns came out and I when back to the garage.

Needless to say, they started jumping on my truck crushing the hood and the cab in and then friends of the guy next door showed up. Next thing you know a huge fight breaks and guns start firing.

I'm in the garage ducking behind a fridge. Once it's all over I don't come out until the cops show up. I go outside my truck is all ****ed up by being hit with bats, people jumping on it, and it had 11 bullet holes in it. There is blood all over the place and a three guys on the ground.

When it was all said and done, nobody was shot. Only property. Though several people had broken bones from being beaten with bats or just being straight beaten.

The only other thing that came close to that was I was in a Mr. M's store when it got robbed at gun point. No shots fired. It lasted about 30 seconds and was over. I was in the back near the soft drinks and the guy never even looked back my way. He took the money in the register and left.

Those past experiences heavily influence my feelings about guns firearms. I am far less bias against owning rifles and shotguns vs hand guns.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;3325172 said:
I look at it like this. If I have my gun with me, a child can't find it accidentally. If I have it with me, something like Va Tech isn't going to escalate. At the very least I am going to make a guy like that focus on me and not the defenseless. They are targets, not threats. He'll focus on the threat.

I have looked at it from both sides.

Don't know if Americans armed in public is something I support.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3325204 said:
I have looked at it from both sides.

Don't know if Americans armed in public is something I support.

No doubt if someone was looking at the issue pro's and con's a legit argument could be made or both sides.

I will say that in Texas we have a concealed gun law. Before the law was enacted many said Texas would be like the old west well it has not been anything like the critics said it would.

Part of the being able to carry a gun is training and no criminal record and we really have had no big problems with the law.

For me I choose not to carry a gun on my person but have no problem with the fact others around me may have a gun.

kapolani

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325215 said:
No doubt if someone was looking at the issue pro's and con's a legit argument could be made or both sides.

I will say that in Texas we have a concealed gun law. Before the law was enacted many said Texas would be like the old west well it has not been anything like the critics said it would.

Part of the being able to carry a gun is training and no criminal record and we really have had no big problems with the law.

For me I choose not to carry a gun on my person but have no problem with the fact others around me may have a gun.

My wife and I decided when I retire we are moving to Texas. I'm going to buy myself a nice chunk of land and live peacefully.

I like Texas because of it's gun laws. People who wish to do others harm in that state do so with the knowledge that the other person may be armed.

I learned one thing early on in life - you don't mess around with someone that has a gun.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325215 said:

I'm kind of the opposite.

If I were at a public place and knew someone had a gun and he/she wasn't a cop, it would make me extremely nervous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3325260 said:
I'm kind of the opposite.

If I were at a public place and knew someone had a gun and he/she wasn't a cop, it would make me extremely nervous.

I tend not to hack people off. :laugh2:

I have friends I work with who I know carry guns. They don't go waving them around and I feel comfortable with them. As I said those who carry also went through the trouble of attending training classes to get them

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
A few months ago, I searched through the Dallas Mourning News Archive to find articles about Home Invasions in Texas.

I told a guy from California one day that based on the articles I saw, criminals in Texas are really taking their lives in their own hands, trying to make a living doing Home Invasions.

He just laughed because he doesn't think Texas his dangerous like areas of Chicago and California. I told him, we may not have the extreme ghettos in some of those states (in Dallas anyway) but the due to the Gun Laws and the "mentality" of Texans with regards to crime and punishment, you put your life at risk in Texas when you choose to invade a home.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325264 said:
I tend not to hack people off. :laugh2:

I have friends I work with who I know carry guns. They don't go waving them around and I feel comfortable with them. As I said those who carry also went through the trouble of attending training classes to get them

True, but even if you hack people off, you only come away with a few bruises, not a bullet hole on your person.

Most of the time, you are not going to know anyway, i'm just saying in my case, if I saw that a person had a gun, it would make me nervous.

Heck, I get nervous seeing cops around me with a gun.

That's me though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kapolani;3325259 said:
My wife and I decided when I retire we are moving to Texas. I'm going to buy myself a nice chunk of land and live peacefully.

I like Texas because of it's gun laws. People who wish to do others harm in that state do so with the knowledge that the other person may be armed.

I learned one thing early on in life - you don't mess around with someone that has a gun.

I'm bias but as far as I'm concerned Texas is great. Born and raised here and plan on spending my entire life here.

I have been to many places throughout the US and enjoyed my stay at the majority of them but Texas for me and many other born Texans it is special. Maybe it is the fact that you get Texas History from Elementary, Jr. High and High School.

If you notice anytime there is a Texan in a sporting event like the Olympics you are sure to see the Texas flag flying in the crowd. We just love our state.

I hope you and your wife enjoy living here

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3325272 said:
True, but even if you hack people off, you only come away with a few bruises, not a bullet hole on your person.

Most of the time, you are not going to know anyway, i'm just saying in my case, if I saw that a person had a gun, it would make me nervous.

Heck, I get nervous seeing cops around me with a gun.

That's me though.

Well then the law is working because chances are you will not mess with that person with the gun. :laugh2:

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
"He just laughed because he doesn't think Texas his dangerous like areas of Chicago and California."

I wonder why. ;)

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
SDogo;3324905 said:
I had a guy at a gun store tell me double action revolver is the best option because it can be stored loaded with out any problems or maintainance because the springs are always relaxed and it's always ready to go with a pull of the trigger.

It seems it would be easy to hide and secure.

You guys have peaked my interest about shotguns but I'm worried about securing it. I will have to look into the options unless anyone has some suggestions.

Get a revolver---go somewhere where you can run hard for about a block -pick up the gun and try to hit the target--

An untrained person will have the same trouble pointing a handgun and shooting an intruder

If you want something to save your life --buy a shotgun --

Doomsday101

Reaction score
justbob;3325569 said:
Get a revolver---go somewhere where you can run hard for about a block -pick up the gun and try to hit the target--

An untrained person will have the same trouble pointing a handgun and shooting an intruder

If you want something to save your life --buy a shotgun --

Of become a Navy Seal and learn how to do what you just said. :laugh2:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3325455 said:
"He just laughed because he doesn't think Texas his dangerous like areas of Chicago and California."

I wonder why. ;)

Actually, his thoughts are inaccurate as Dallas led the Nation in crime a couple of years ago and I believe it was a few years in a row.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3325579 said:
Of become a Navy Seal and learn how to do what you just said. :laugh2:

Or that to ---My understanding is it is much easier to buy a shotgun then become a Navy Seal.

Two stories ---we where doing building searches one night--pitch dark --we had made it about 30 foot into the building when someone racked a shotgun ---it scares whats in you out.

#2 Part of the training we did at night involved running from target to target with someone yelling in our ear..The combination made it extremely difficult to shoot straight.

Once again -buy a pump shotgun -if the sound of you racking a round in doesn't work ,you don't have to shoot very straight to get the job done