Guys, were stuck, Roy Williams if cut or traded 7 Mill cap hit 2008 & 2009

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;1907799 said:
Yep - he's a liability and the entire league knows it and every announcer, TV and radio knows it. It's sad and pathetic but it's reality. He's signed, but if Jerry wants to win at all costs, he's gonna have to eat this one and there is no doubt in my mind on this issue.
When opposing QB's are told to watch for #31 (or #35 for that matter) to come onto the field and be ready to after them, you have officially crossed over the asset > liability line and need to stay on the sideline.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1907814 said:
When opposing QB's are told to watch for #31 (or #35 for that matter) to come onto the field and be ready to after them, you have officially crossed over the asset > liability line and need to stay on the sideline.

No doubt..............:bang2:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I just read it was 12M over 4 years. Thus 3 was paid this season leaving 9 left. Maybe less if they added it part of it onto last years cap.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Every team has liabilities. As JJT says, you cannot have great players at all positions.

Can he play better, who knows, but he is not totally useless there. He is the weakest member of the secondary but when you have Newman, Hamlin and Henry also in the secondary, who to throw against is pretty clear.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
But Hamlin isn't exactly the best coverage guy either.

I recall the first Giants game being a battle of the TE's.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Sarge;1907764 said:
I agree, as long as he is starting, the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys' of the world will eat us alive.

Put the bum on special teams and call it a day.

When he attempted to dive for a ball the other day and got a whopping 1/2 inch off the ground, I almost spit my beer 4 feet acrossed the room.

#1 that's a good idea. give him the archuletta treatment.

#2:laugh2:

noletime95

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1907631 said:
i agree with you guys about roy williams, if it was me, if i was the owner, i would call him into my office, chew his butt out good for not working out like the coaches and trainers have begged him too do, then show him on film running plays he has missed tackes and passing plays he hasnt helped, and show how he has hurt not only himself, but his teammates and the fans, especially the fans, and then tell him you always wanted to be a dallas cowboy, but your sure not playing and acting like one,

anyway guys we cant trade or cut roy williams because if we do either one, it will cost us a cap hit 7 million this year, and 7 million the following year, yikes, were stuck

only thing i know to do guys, is be sure he gets into offseason and works his butt off and gets down to about 224 and studies studies film, or put him at linebaker, yeah i know u guys say he cant do that, but something needs to be done with him, and soon,

as far as you guys wanting patrick watkins, i did too, but at same time, pat watkins had the chance to come in offseason and work out, get bigger and stronger, and he didnt, till his attitude chances, then nothing will happen with roy williams or pat watkins.

I think the premise of your post is correct (i.e. its not economical yet to cut Roy), but those numbers are NOT accurate......I actually believe Roy could be cut post 6/08 and provide cap relief this year with dead $$$ in 09......but that wouldn't help this offseason....

cowboyz

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1907804 said:
But, but, but...He is a probowler.

How quickly this fanbase has turned on Roy. It's amazing.
quickly? you guys have been hating on him ever since he got into the league. only now has his play seriously dropped off where he really is not very good.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
how can is be 7 mil each yr? he only got a 11.1 million dollar signing bonus

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
cowboyz;1907903 said:
quickly? you guys have been hating on him ever since he got into the league. only now has his play seriously dropped off where he really is not very good.

We are supposed to hate him regardless. You were kidding right ?

And for you to say this year is his first (or "only now") is just being a homer.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I don't understand how so many esteemed experts on this board can see that Roy Williams is a giant turd eating up the team's cap money and being abused on the field, but the front office and coaching staff fail to see the same thing.

It would lead one to believe that this team is led by a gaggle of blind idiots - and that doesn't bode well for the future of the franchise. Looks like we may be in for 11 more years of choking and coming up short.

Or you're all just mentally handicapped. Tough call.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Kilyin;1907962 said:
I don't understand how so many esteemed experts on this board can see that Roy Williams is a giant turd eating up the team's cap money and being abused on the field, but the front office and coaching staff fail to see the same thing.

It would lead one to believe that this team is led by a gaggle of blind idiots - and that doesn't bode well for the future of the franchise. Looks like we may be in for 11 more years of choking and coming up short.

Or you're all just mentally handicapped. Tough call.

I am sure most would say that I have a handicap of sorts on this board.

Lets hope for your sake the Cowboys team isn't led by idiots.

Not that I would be mad or anything.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Once and for all, the cap hit to cut Roy is not bad.

Here's the breakdown:
If we keep Roy:
2008 cap hit: 5.94M (2.22 bonus + 3.72 salary)
2009 cap hit: 6.62M (2.22 bonus + 4.44 salary)

If we cut him before June first
2008 cap hit: 6.66M (6.66 bonus + 0 salary)
2009 cap hit: 0

If we cut him after June first
2008 cap hit: 2.22M (2.22 bonus + 0 salary)
2009 cap hit: 4.44M (4.44 bonus + 0 salary)

So if we cut or trade him after June 1, we actually save 3.72 M from the 2008 cap as opposed to keeping him. Of course then we'd need a replacement. And the 2009 cap savings is 2.18 M. Same caveat that we'd need another player.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think Roy is still involved in a majority of the defense because being the five time pro bowler (or whatever he is at) he is, gives him the god-given right to play....at least in his mind. I think it would cause major problems in the locker room and that is why the coaching staff has little choice in the matter.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
TheHerd;1908037 said:

Here's the breakdown:
If we keep Roy:

So if we cut or trade him after June 1, we actually save 3.72 M from the 2008 cap as opposed to keeping him. Of course then we'd need a replacement. And the 2009 cap savings is 2.18 M. Same caveat that we'd need another player.

If this is correct, the Boys would be nuts not to do it.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Actually, each team has the freedom to cut a player at anytime and take a 2 year cap hit (up to 2 players).

Ken

Reaction score
TheHerd;1908037 said:

Here's the breakdown:
If we keep Roy:

I agree, cut him. I've been saying this all year...