Halfway through the season, this team is full of "I told you so's"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
His scheme is getting guys open

They are not being seen

Zeke is #2 in league in rushing. With basically zero pass game to take the heat off him

A lot about this offense is working
Except one thing

Great scheme for a pocket passer. I wonder when Linehan will notice that we don't have one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I liked what Aikman said right after the trade on the Ticket. Is it that important to make a trade to win a very bad division and make it into the wildcard game, if you are going to probably going to lose that wildcard game? I mean face it, even with coop, it is very doubtful that the cowboys are good enough to win in the playoffs.

That's probably true.

But just getting to the playoffs is important IMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not a happy fan by any stretch but I totally disagree, here. Once you get into the dance, anyone has a chance.

Anything *can* happen. It's not what can happen, it's what's likely to happen that matters.

We *could* win the SB every year. That was Jerry's thinking in the 2000s with Romo. So we spent and spent for that last guy, or the declining guy. And then were in cap hell with an aging and declining team.

We've spent a long time getting a young team in good cap shape. We should keep spending picks and dollars for value instead of blowing resources on a team with an offense in disarray.

Drafting has been the best thing we've done in the last 5 years. And we just traded our 1st for a year and a half rental.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I'm not a happy fan by any stretch but I totally disagree, here. Once you get into the dance, anyone has a chance. This defense is plating at a high level. If the offense starts playing like 2016 and the first half of 2017 they can compete with anyone (including the Rams and Saints). If they don't then it will be one and done. No one though Prescott could go toe to toe with Rodgers ins 2016, either. And, stats-wise, he actually out played him. The defense let us down that week, not the offense.
Well the Dakaholics like to point out all the other flaws we have in this team, and it is true, we have other holes. I don't think this Offense can get into the 2016 form. Shoots forget about Coop for a second, if we are talking about 2016 who was one of Daks best weapons? Jason Whiten, who people here love to ridicule for being slow, but it doesn't matter if you are slow, if you can get open and know where the 1st down marker is. This team is lacking some of the things that were here in 2016, and heck its 2 years later.

For the record, I have my doubts that that type of recovery is on the horizon but no one gave the Giants a chance to win it all in 2007, either. The defense caught fire at the right time and the offense played complimentary football to beat the (then) unbeaten Patriots. It's a strange league and the ball bounces strange ways. Again, I'm not saying the Cowboys will replicate that type of run but I'm sure as hell not going to sit here on my couch and act like it doesn't happen, either. Get in the dance. That's goal #1. From there it's some intense football and, face it, a bit of luck.
The difference between the 2007 Giants and the 2017 Cowboys is simple: the giants had a good head coach.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a happy fan by any stretch but I totally disagree, here. Once you get into the dance, anyone has a chance. This defense is plating at a high level. If the offense starts playing like 2016 and the first half of 2017 they can compete with anyone (including the Rams and Saints). If they don't then it will be one and done. No one though Prescott could go toe to toe with Rodgers ins 2016, either. And, stats-wise, he actually out played him. The defense let us down that week, not the offense.

For the record, I have my doubts that that type of recovery is on the horizon but no one gave the Giants a chance to win it all in 2007, either. The defense caught fire at the right time and the offense played complimentary football to beat the (then) unbeaten Patriots. It's a strange league and the ball bounces strange ways. Again, I'm not saying the Cowboys will replicate that type of run but I'm sure as hell not going to sit here on my couch and act like it doesn't happen, either. Get in the dance. That's goal #1. From there it's some intense football and, face it, a bit of luck.

Agreed.

The first goal is simply making the playoffs.

To have the "rule" that you only should have a super-team before you think about the playoffs... Is rubbish IMO.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Anything *can* happen. It's not what can happen, it's what's likely to happen that matters.

We *could* win the SB every year. That was Jerry's thinking in the 2000s with Romo. So we spent and spent for that last guy, or the declining guy. And then were in cap hell with an aging and declining team.

We've spent a long time getting a young team in good cap shape. We should keep spending picks and dollars for value instead of blowing resources on a team with an offense in disarray.

Drafting has been the best thing we've done in the last 5 years. And we just traded our 1st for a year and a half rental.
A year and a half rental? And you know this how? Chances are the Cowboys were going to go WR in round 1 anyway. Care to tell me who, in this upcoming draft, possesses Cooper's skill set?

Perspective.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well usually I'd agree with that, but here we are talking about a division where an 8-8 team might make it into the playoffs.

If 8-8 gets the team into the playoffs I'm fine with it.

This is a good defense.

If the offense can become more consistent on the road they could make some noise in the playoffs.

Other than the Rams, I'm not seeing a lot of teams in the NFC that knock my socks off.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Well the Dakaholics like to point out all the other flaws we have in this team, and it is true, we have other holes. I don't think this Offense can get into the 2016 form. Shoots forget about Coop for a second, if we are talking about 2016 who was one of Daks best weapons? Jason Whiten, who people here love to ridicule for being slow, but it doesn't matter if you are slow, if you can get open and know where the 1st down marker is. This team is lacking some of the things that were here in 2016, and heck its 2 years later.

The difference between the 2007 Giants and the 2017 Cowboys is simple: the giants had a good head coach.
A coach that they couldn't wait to run out of town.

Like I said, I have my doubts that the offense will return to 2016 form either but sit here and pretend that you KNOW it won't happen is horse ****, to be frank. No one knows. I didn't think a 4th round rookie could lead us to the playoffs, either. I was wrong.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Agreed.

The first goal is simply making the playoffs.

To have the "rule" that you only should have a super-team before you think about the playoffs... Is rubbish IMO.

I don't believe in you having to have a super team either to get into the playoffs. But I never been a fan of those 8-8 teams that should've been 4-12 but overachieved either. The plain and simple fact is that this is not the 2016 Cowboys. I had a lot of wishful thinking going into this season, but having seen them play, the only reason anyone is even talking playoffs is because how bad this division is. The question is: Does this division being horrible, make the cowboys any better than what they would've been if this division was good and they would finish 8-8?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I told ya'll Garrett won't get us into the playoffs .

9 years and 2 playoff berths ...its a rare season when we get to the post season .

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
It is pretty clear the offseason plan by this front office has been a big fat bag of FAIL.

Don't need a true number one WR? FAIL

Just go with a new OL scheme? FAIL

Tight end is not an issue. FAIL

Dak Prescott is a franchise QB. FAIL
I love it. :hammer:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
A coach that they couldn't wait to run out of town.

Like I said, I have my doubts that the offense will return to 2016 form either but sit here and pretend that you KNOW it won't happen is horse ****, to be frank. No one knows. I didn't think a 4th round rookie could lead us to the playoffs, either. I was wrong.

Just like the Eagles ran Andy Reids out of town, at a time when I thought he was the best coach the eagles ever had until that point :D

Kaiser

Reaction score
Overpayed for Cooper because our WR corps was NOT okay. (Duh)

You have no idea if the trade was an overpayment because he hasn't played yet. 90% of this board and a big chunk of the national media was convinced Dallas was incompetent to pass on Shariff Floyd to take Travis Frederick.

On a completely unrelated note, Frederick has been to four Pro Bowls and Floyd is out of football.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe in you having to have a super team either to get into the playoffs. But I never been a fan of those 8-8 teams that should've been 4-12 but overachieved either. The plain and simple fact is that this is not the 2016 Cowboys. I had a lot of wishful thinking going into this season, but having seen them play, the only reason anyone is even talking playoffs is because how bad this division is. The question is: Does this division being horrible, make the cowboys any better than what they would've been if this division was good and they would finish 8-8?

The thing is this could be a much different team by the end of the season than it is now. If they get in being 8-8, I'll still take it.

I've been a fan for a long time and the Cowboys would be in the playoffs far more often then they were not. That led to a lot of playoff losses but once in a while the stars aligned right and they made the SB.

That's why I say shoot for the playoffs and then whatever happens after... happens.

You string together enough playoff appearances and out of a couple of those the odds will be in your favor.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Shoots forget about Coop for a second, if we are talking about 2016 who was one of Daks best weapons? Jason Whiten, who people here love to ridicule for being slow, but it doesn't matter if you are slow, if you can get open and know where the 1st down marker is.

Swaim has been surprisingly good. Better production per target than Witten gave us last year. We should have been targeting him more. I hope he isn't out too long.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Just like the Eagles ran Andy Reids out of town, at a time when I thought he was the best coach the eagles ever had until that point :D
And look at what Reid is doing, now. Running, quite possibly the best offense the league has seen since the record breaking Greatest Show on Turf. Face it, sometimes the fans (who spearheaded the exile of Reid) don't know ****.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The difference was Crayton pulling up on the 2nd to last pass. Tony got the ball over the defender into the end zone. Crayton pulled up and didn't get to it.