***Happy Veterans Day***

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;3071826 said:
I don't think so, he never missed a season.

I think D.D. Lewis was in the military and missed the 1969 season but don't quote me on it...

CLIFF HARRIS

Cliff Harris, destined for the NFL Hall of Fame, is regarded as one of football's all-time greats, having established himself among the National Football League's elite performers following a stellar collegiate career.

Born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Cliff growing up in Arkansas, attended Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where he earned a degree in math with a minor in physics. As the Cowboy's free safety, he quickly became known and feared for his reckless pursuit of ball carriers. When he was overlooked in the 1970 NFL draft, Cliff signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys who were convinced of his abilities after viewing films of his collegiate exploits.

After winning his starting position for the Cowboys, Cliff's rookie season was interrupted by a tour of duty in the United States Army in 1970. But he wasted no time in regaining his starting position following his military commitment and emerged as the NFL's finest free safety. While starting at free safety, Cliff essentially never left the field. He consistently was a team leader in tackles, interceptions, punt and kickoff returns.

During his 10-year career with the Cowboys, Cliff played in a record five Super Bowls, was named to six Pro Bowl squads and was named First Team All-NFL for four successive seasons. Only he and teammate Roger Staubach started in both of the 70's Super Bowl victories. The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee also named Cliff to the All-Pro Team of the 1970's. More recently, he was inducted to the NAIA Hall of Fame in Kansas City and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Glad to be back and free as of last weekend.
Many of you know I was activated by the Army Reserves, went through hellish training then sat in maddening limbo for several months while they decided what to do with us, some of our contracts even technically ran out in that time, mine included but our unit was told to stand down and will not face deployment so we were let go.

So my service commitment is over

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
THUMPER;3071826 said:
I don't think so, he never missed a season.

I think D.D. Lewis was in the military and missed the 1969 season but don't quote me on it...

Harris had Military obligations but you are correct, I think D.D. Lewis was also in the Service.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Sarge;3070773 said:
A very big thank you to all the service folk who have served, are serving, and will serve in the future. You're efforts will always be recognized and you are the true heroes of the world.

THANK YOU

Amen and amen --well said Sarge:star:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...safe return home to all the men and women of the armed services in whatever posting they are in.

We take them for granted all too easily.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks here for the nice comments for all of us that serve. I don't know what called me to serve, but whatever it was it must've been a crazy voice in my head :D

Thanks again - for your support, and for my fellow comrades here and abroad.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
casmith07;3071923 said:
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks here for the nice comments for all of us that serve. I don't know what called me to serve, but whatever it was it must've been a crazy voice in my head :D

...are your own. It is our duty to acknowledge you for your service.

I do stress duty. It's high time we all recognize that nothing comes for free - including our society and freedom.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3071923 said:

It's the call of duty,brother.I heard it too.

US Army.
Fort Gordon,GA
Fort Wainwright,AK

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have served and a special thanks to the current generation for answering the call on numerous occassions, in many instances.

LandryFan
Active USMC 1971-1978
Reserve USMC 80-81
Active USN 1983-2000

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Thank you to all the veterens that made this the greatest country on earth, and especially to my grandfather, a WWII and vietnam vet who is the most respectable man I've ever known. Because of him I understand why they call them the greatest generation.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
This is why these boards are so great.

Happy Veterans Day.:starspin

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
bbgun;3071837 said:
CLIFF HARRIS

Cliff Harris, destined for the NFL Hall of Fame, is regarded as one of football's all-time greats, having established himself among the National Football League's elite performers following a stellar collegiate career.

Born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Cliff growing up in Arkansas, attended Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where he earned a degree in math with a minor in physics. As the Cowboy's free safety, he quickly became known and feared for his reckless pursuit of ball carriers. When he was overlooked in the 1970 NFL draft, Cliff signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys who were convinced of his abilities after viewing films of his collegiate exploits.

After winning his starting position for the Cowboys, Cliff's rookie season was interrupted by a tour of duty in the United States Army in 1970. But he wasted no time in regaining his starting position following his military commitment and emerged as the NFL's finest free safety. While starting at free safety, Cliff essentially never left the field. He consistently was a team leader in tackles, interceptions, punt and kickoff returns.

During his 10-year career with the Cowboys, Cliff played in a record five Super Bowls, was named to six Pro Bowl squads and was named First Team All-NFL for four successive seasons. Only he and teammate Roger Staubach started in both of the 70's Super Bowl victories. The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee also named Cliff to the All-Pro Team of the 1970's. More recently, he was inducted to the NAIA Hall of Fame in Kansas City and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

Cool, I didn't know that about him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
before the day is out, I would also like to extend my gratitude to all the vets out there

as a Navy brat, I know all about what service members and their families have to go through

mad respect!

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3072258 said:
yeah, I read a book on dogs and cats

Awwww, soooooo big!

51C5EERFBCL._SL500_.jpg

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
US ARMY discharge '95. A special veterans day salute to two young soldiers Robert and Devin whom I knew as kids but no doubt return as men.

First to fight last to fall US Army hears the call. Hoorah!