Hard Knocks | Amendola Segment

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Temo;2234065 said:
The problem comes when you create a thread to rave about his work ethic, when really he's not working any harder than 70% (arbitrary number) of the FA rookies out there.
I am the creator of this thread.

I, the creator, did not create a thread raving about his work ethic.

I, the producer of this de-evolving soap opera, didn't attach a pie chart (which I've been known to do from time to time) rating who worked harder than whom to land on this team.

While it may be true that this sort of crap, and it is crap, could have surfaced in another thread for hopefully a 'legitimate' reason, there was no justification for it to have raised it's ugly little head within this thread. None.

Moderators, please consider moving this Titanic of a thread to the Political Zone. It has almost completely serve its purpose as a football topic. Heck. Forget about the 'almost'.

Ren

Reaction score
Temo;2234065 said:
The problem comes when you create a thread to rave about his work ethic, when really he's not working any harder than 70% (arbitrary number) of the FA rookies out there. These guys are all fighting for their livelihoods and dreams. Why single out his work ethic when Mike Jefferson worked as hard as he did to try and make the team? Where's the Mike Jefferson work ethic appreciation threads?

I'm sorry have you seen anything from Jefferson that the rest of us haven't? we can all assume Jefferson's work ethic is good otherwise he would not have been here, but we haven't seen it. Amedola's work ethic was more or less documented by Hard Knocks where as none of us really knows anything about Jefferson cause he was not covered on Hard knocks.

what's so wrong about complimenting it?

1fisher

Reaction score
This thread quickly turned into a trainwreck.....

Lord, please help us all! :bow:

Dodger12

Reaction score
RainMan;2233320 said:
I don't know if I'll get bashed for this (or if it's even worthy of getting bashed), but I think whenever there's an undersized minority working his butt off to make a team, he's going to attract fanfare.

RainMan, IMO, you're way off the mark. The only reason Amodela is attracting fanfare is not because he's an undersized minority working his butt off; it's because everyone sees Wes Welker. Everyone wants us to find that diamond in the rough at a position where, beyond TO, there's some uncertainty. Did Jeff Ogden garner this type of attention even though he was white and an underdog? This was the guy who was supposed to spell Michael Irvin and that mindset didn't attract a whole lot of fanfare. Gailey got ripped for it by us fans and deservedely so. But do you really think that some here would root for Jeff Ogden over Michael Irvin?

RainMan;2233320 said:
In the context of football, a white running back or a white receiver is in the minority. You might root the same way to see a black quarterback succeed and overcome stereotypes from yesteryear, since there are more white QBs, or to see a Vietnamese player like Dat Nguyen become the first of his nationality to make an NFL team.

Being a true football fan, especially of the Cowboys, transcends race. We're rabid fans who can't get enough and I want the 53 best players plaing for my team. I'm not going to root any more or less for a player because of his color or nationality. I'd bet that holds true for 99.999 percent of the fans here. Saying that some of us might root more for a white RB or a white receiver is way off the mark for fans who invests so much energy and emotion into their team winning or losing.

RainMan;2233320 said:
In a pool of white QBs, a black one is easy to root for. In a pool of black WRs, a white one is easy to root for. In a pool of black and white LBs, a Vietnamese one is easy to root for. And so on and so forth.

Sorry RM, I don't mean to demean your point, but we rooted for Randall Williams year after year to break through because he had an unreal combination of size and speed. Same with some here wanting Matt Jones, not because he's white, but because his combine numbers were freakish.

I just don't see your point where fans here root for a player because of his skin color. I'm no fan of Amodela, simply because I've chased this tail before. Every tall WR is not Michael Irvin and not every tall strong armed QB is Troy Aikman, no matter how bad we want them to be. The only reason Amodela gets any press or attention whatsoever is because people think he's a Wes Welker clone, plain and simple and there's really nothing more to it than that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
joseephuss;2234088 said:
I don't remember there being a lot of love and support for Richmond Flowers to make the team back when he was a long shot in training camp and featured on Hard Knocks in 2002.

Dangit! Did I miss a chance to cheer on a white guy 6 years ago?!

It'll never happen again!

:D

The problem comes when you create a thread to rave about his work ethic, when really he's not working any harder than 70% (arbitrary number) of the FA rookies out there.

So its only ok to mention someone's work ethic if they work harder than everyone else?

Working hard is working hard, and if that's one of his good qualities it's ok to mention it, even if he isn't working "any harder than 70% of the FA rookies out there".

Seriously, did you even think before posting that?

Woody Dantzler was a favorite underdog once upon a time but no one here made an issue of it.

And has one of the best kick returns for a TD in NFL history.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Temo;2234065 said:
A lot of you guys saying other people have pulled the "race card" aren't getting the point of his post. You are allowed to love Amendola all you want without being called a racist; that's not the problem.

The problem comes when you create a thread to rave about his work ethic, when really he's not working any harder than 70% (arbitrary number) of the FA rookies out there. These guys are all fighting for their livelihoods and dreams. Why single out his work ethic when Mike Jefferson worked as hard as he did to try and make the team? Where's the Mike Jefferson work ethic appreciation threads?

And say what you want, but I don't recall nearly as much clamor for Isiah Stanback, who is trying to convert from QB (which required far more work than Amendola) and made greater strides in his rookie year than Amendola has to date.

And I can't go back that far, but I bet there weren't any Patrick Crayton work ethic appreciation threads when he was converting from QB coming from Northwestern Oklahoma State University-- and he had success his rookie year.

FAIL. So wrong on every point, it's indescribable.

aikemirv

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2234719 said:
You should of let this thread die, it was on page 2

Well, it was on its way to page 2 of the board, about to die, and then you posted to it!!!!!:laugh2: :laugh2:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2234719 said:
You should of let this thread die, it was on page 2

You're right, I should have.

aikemirv;2234734 said:
Well, it was on its way to page 2 of the board, about to die, and then you posted to it!!!!!:laugh2: :laugh2:

I just did it again, didn't I? :eek::