Hard Knocks | Amendola Segment

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I don't know if I'll get bashed for this (or if it's even worthy of getting bashed), but I think whenever there's an undersized minority working his butt off to make a team, he's going to attract fanfare.

In the context of football, a white running back or a white receiver is in the minority. You might root the same way to see a black quarterback succeed and overcome stereotypes from yesteryear, since there are more white QBs, or to see a Vietnamese player like Dat Nguyen become the first of his nationality to make an NFL team.

In a pool of white QBs, a black one is easy to root for. In a pool of black WRs, a white one is easy to root for. In a pool of black and white LBs, a Vietnamese one is easy to root for. And so on and so forth.

Just my two cents.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;2233288 said:
If I were Amendola, I would follow TO around as TO did with Jerry Rice. Learn from the best.

TO, Rice, Amendola -

What name does not belong in that discussion - come on gang!

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Bill Burr just had a great bit about this the other day-

"My friend said, how come when a white player does something well they say 'what a smart play' but when a black player makes a play, they say 'how athletic'. "

"I dont think when Lebron James is dunking over a white guy hes saying 'Wow, I should of thought of that'."

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
RainMan;2233320 said:
I don't know if I'll get bashed for this (or if it's even worthy of getting bashed), but I think whenever there's an undersized minority working his butt off to make a team, he's going to attract fanfare.

In the context of football, a white running back or a white receiver is in the minority. You might root the same way to see a black quarterback succeed and overcome stereotypes from yesteryear, since there are more white QBs, or to see a Vietnamese player like Dat Nguyen become the first of his nationality to make an NFL team.

In a pool of white QBs, a black one is easy to root for. In a pool of black WRs, a white one is easy to root for. In a pool of black and white LBs, a Vietnamese one is easy to root for. And so on and so forth.

Just my two cents.

I agree totally, that is the crux of the problem here on Amendola. Emotions and bias get in way of talent evaluations.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really don't think he's an underdog. He's made the practice squad out of 10s of thousands of wide receivers trying to get into the NFL, I know I used to be one of them.

You go to all these camps and spend this money, and make these game tapes to send to teams and nothing. We had a guy that played in our semi pro league years back, he had a try out with the cowboys early 90s, he was cut before the season. So Amendola is in charge of his own destiny, what he does with it is up to him.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
don't know if I'll get bashed for this (or if it's even worthy of getting bashed), but I think whenever there's an undersized minority working his butt off to make a team, he's going to attract fanfare.

Just my two cents.

I dont know if I feel like getting into this at qurter to 1, but I think its harder to break out as white DB or RB than as a black QB. The top tools to be a QB are arm, vision, awarness ect. Something no race has an advantage at.

Im on record as saying people are getting thir hopes up comparing Danny to Welker, Curtis, Chrebet, Tim Dwight ect. But you cant deny hes at a disadvantage.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2233330 said:
Bill Burr just had a great bit about this the other day-

"My friend said, how come when a white player does something well they say 'what a smart play' but when a black player makes a play, they say 'how athletic'. "

"I dont think when Lebron James is dunking over a white guy hes saying 'Wow, I should of thought of that'."

Very true. I think there's some unintentional racial undertone that is difficult to eliminate from our vocabulary at times. When a white person says a black athlete is articulate, VERY rarely do they intend it to be an insult to blacks. Yet a black man understandably could take it as such, as that white person probably wouldn't use the word "articulate" to describe a fellow white athlete.

I think the problem is that there's some built-in undertones that are unintended, but exist. So what's the answer? Become overly politically correct? That rarely helps. I think all we can do is try to think before you talk, and embrace the opinions of other races and be willing to engage in talk of whether something might have unintentionally come across as offensive. I think it's equally important for the offended not to necessarily point the finger and suggest someone was intentionally antagonizing them, but to understand it might be an unintentional slight and thus challenge them to think outside their box of comfort and see things from the other side.

Being willing to admit, "Hey, I didn't mean that to come across as being offensive, but geez, on second thought, I see your point," isn't a bad thing.

As for the white guy being smart and the black guy being athletic? Really, there's no problem on the surface. Amendola could absolutely be the smarter player, while Lowber the more athletic. But I think if someone, or society as a whole, becomes too willing to just lump all white players as "smart" and all blacks as "athletic," then there's absolutely a problem. I think that line is sometimes approached, if not crossed. But again, I think it's an unintentional slip in word choice. I don't think harm is meant, but perhaps with open dialogue people can become more aware of the issue and determine whether it is a problem. If it is, correct it. If not, carry on. Not my place as one man to decide it all.

Again, two cents. Rant over.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
RainMan;2233341 said:
Very true. I think there's some unintentional racial undertone that is difficult to eliminate from our vocabulary at times. When a white person says a black athlete is articulate, VERY rarely do they intend it to be an insult to blacks. Yet a black man understandably could take it as such, as that white person probably wouldn't use the word "articulate" to describe a fellow white athlete.

I think the problem is that there's some built-in undertones that are unintended, but exist. So what's the answer? Become overly politically correct? That rarely helps. I think all we can do is try to think before you talk, and embrace the opinions of other races and be willing to engage in talk of whether something might have unintentionally come across as offensive.

Being willing to admit, "Hey, I didn't mean that to come across as being offensive, but geez, on second thought, I see your point," isn't a bad thing.

Well done sir.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2233317 said:
I've never seen anyone say Hurd doesn't try hard.

However, I know what you are talking about. Using a different analogy, it used to annoy the hell out of me when people would say "Magic has God given ability, but Bird works so hard." As if Bird had no God given talent and Magic didn't work hard.

I do not believe anyone really believes that who has a brain in their head. They just see the Rudy story and want to root for an underdog. Amendola is the current underdog.

There will always be underdogs and the story about them will always be how hard they try.

And Amendola was the only kid in this camp that tried hard? It's a tad deeper than that.;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This is a case study on "underdogs" "works hard"

But till the day comes where all players are evaluated evenly. There are racial tones here rooting for the local white kid at WR that is at best a marginal NFL talent.

If Amendola was African American from Bethune - UDFA and 4.7 Speed Jag that can't play ST - no Rudy discussions.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
To follow up ...

Can we all agree anyone who uses "smart" or "hard worker" to describe Ryan Leaf's game is probably a racist? :) :) :) :) :)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How many PS players move from the PS to the 53 then how many from our PS to another 53? Bet it's not 8 per year. I'm willing to bet big bucks that there are at least 2-4 spots that never go anywhere even after two years of PS with us.

That's why I'd of put Lowber on the bottom of our PS and allow him access to football all year long. And I'd make him study all the time and coach him up so he has the venacular don't and is learning, too.

This kid has the smoothness and athletic ability to play at a high level. All he needs is time. He's in the 99th percentile for talent. Got to be worth a shot to allow him to utilize a spot for a year or two.

Don't ask me whose play he takes. Likely Dixon dispite the fact I'd love to see him make it, too.

Glad Amendola is here. He has a chance to contribute this year and surely next year. Jefferson is more ready but not as consistent.

Love George on the PS. I'd have put him on the 53 and turned him loose a few times each game to see what he had. I think he could have been a situational rusher who would be successful against slow footed tackles. He can turn the corner better than Ware and bull rushes as well. I'm looking forward to seeing him this year.

A very good team this year. As talented as we've had in awhile. I expect great things from these guys.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
RainMan;2233354 said:
To follow up ...

Can we all agree anyone who uses "smart" or "hard worker" to describe Ryan Leaf's game is probably a racist? :) :) :) :) :)

Anyone who uses "smart" or "hard worker" to describe Ryan Leaf should be prohibited from reproducing . . .

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
RainMan;2233354 said:
To follow up ...

And a terrorist, :lmao:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2233293 said:
I'm curious why it's only guys like Amendola who want it and try hard. Why doesn't Sam Hurd get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? He's was an undrafted free agent who not only played his way onto the team, but also contributed as a rookie with only a fraction of the fanfare. Why doesn't Alan Ball get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? Where's the Alan Ball fanclub? Where's the Mike Jefferson fan club?

It's eerie. It's almost like this board is populated mainly with short white guys who love the game but didn't quite have the talent to make it at the next level.

And watch what you say about Sam Hurd fans. I prop the guy whenever I can. He's Baby Crayton.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Idgit;2233436 said:
It's eerie. It's almost like this board is populated mainly with short white guys who love the game but didn't quite have the talent to make it at the next level.

And watch what you say about Sam Hurd fans. I prop the guy whenever I can. He's Baby Crayton.

I would buy that Crayton comparison.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Biggems;2233256 said:
If everyone was built like TO we would be unstoppable.

Our OL would get killed.

And I don't see this big deal here. Amendola is an undersized WR from a gimmicky offense in college. He's a huge underdog and THAT is why people cheer him on. It has nothing to do with his skin color.

I cheered on Crayton when he was an undrafted rookie and I've cheered on Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, didn't see anyone making racial accusations in those cases, but now that the favorite underdog happens to be a white guy, now racism is involved?

STHU.

And if I want to say an athlete sounds articulate, I'll damn well say it. I don't care if anyone thinks it's cuz the athlete is black or not. I've put down Peyton Manning's dumb redneck, sheep "herding", accent plenty of times, didn't see anyone making racial accusations then.

:rolleyes:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;2233449 said:
Our OL would get killed.

And I don't see this big deal here. Amendola is an undersized WR from a gimmicky offense in college. He's a huge underdog and THAT is why people cheer him on. It has nothing to do with his skin color.

I cheered on Crayton when he was an undrafted rookie and I've cheered on Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, didn't see anyone making racial accusations in those cases, but now that the favorite underdog happens to be a white guy, now racism is involved?

STHU.

And if I want to say an athlete sounds articulate, I'll damn well say it. I don't care if anyone thinks it's cuz the athlete is black or not. I've put down Peyton Manning's dumb redneck, sheep "herding", accent plenty of times, didn't see anyone making racial accusations then.

:rolleyes:

:bow:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
RainMan;2233341 said:

I think the problem is that there's some built-in undertones that are unintended, but exist. So what's the answer? Become overly politically correct? That rarely helps. I think all we can do is try to think before you talk, and embrace the opinions of other races and be willing to engage in talk of whether something might have unintentionally come across as offensive. I think it's equally important for the offended not to necessarily point the finger and suggest someone was intentionally antagonizing them, but to understand it might be an unintentional slight and thus challenge them to think outside their box of comfort and see things from the other side.

As for the white guy being smart and the black guy being athletic? Really, there's no problem on the surface. Amendola could absolutely be the smarter player, while Lowber the more athletic. But I think if someone, or society as a whole, becomes too willing to just lump all white players as "smart" and all blacks as "athletic," then there's absolutely a problem. I think that line is sometimes approached, if not crossed. But again, I think it's an unintentional slip in word choice. I don't think harm is meant, but perhaps with open dialogue people can become more aware of the issue and determine whether it is a problem. If it is, correct it. If not, carry on. Not my place as one man to decide it all.

:bow:

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2233293 said:
I'm curious why it's only guys like Amendola who want it and try hard. Why doesn't Sam Hurd get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? He's was an undrafted free agent who not only played his way onto the team, but also contributed as a rookie with only a fraction of the fanfare. Why doesn't Alan Ball get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? Where's the Alan Ball fanclub? Where's the Mike Jefferson fan club?

Thats crazy, HUrd has gotten tons of credit for his hard work and desire. I don't even have a clue why you would even bring up his name in comparison. He has always been talked about on this board for what he has done and the effort he has put in.

He may not be the new guy anymore but he has gotten his due.