Hard Knocks | Amendola Segment

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2233293 said:
I'm curious why it's only guys like Amendola who want it and try hard. Why doesn't Sam Hurd get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? He's was an undrafted free agent who not only played his way onto the team, but also contributed as a rookie with only a fraction of the fanfare. Why doesn't Alan Ball get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? Where's the Alan Ball fanclub? Where's the Mike Jefferson fan club?

It's simple..Amendola is white and the other guys are black. Our country is racist that's why. Everyone wants to see the small white guy win the job. You may not agree with that statement but I believe it is true.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Thanos68;2233624 said:
It's simple..Amendola is white and the other guys are black. Our country is racist that's why. Everyone wants to see the small white guy win the job. You may not agree with that statement but I believe it is true.

I don't even have cowboyrock on ignore anymore....that's how pathetic you are.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jobberone;2233374 said:
How many PS players move from the PS to the 53 then how many from our PS to another 53? Bet it's not 8 per year. I'm willing to bet big bucks that there are at least 2-4 spots that never go anywhere even after two years of PS with us.

That's why I'd of put Lowber on the bottom of our PS and allow him access to football all year long. And I'd make him study all the time and coach him up so he has the venacular don't and is learning, too.

This kid has the smoothness and athletic ability to play at a high level. All he needs is time. He's in the 99th percentile for talent. Got to be worth a shot to allow him to utilize a spot for a year or two.

Don't ask me whose play he takes. Likely Dixon dispite the fact I'd love to see him make it, too.

Glad Amendola is here. He has a chance to contribute this year and surely next year. Jefferson is more ready but not as consistent.

Love George on the PS. I'd have put him on the 53 and turned him loose a few times each game to see what he had. I think he could have been a situational rusher who would be successful against slow footed tackles. He can turn the corner better than Ware and bull rushes as well. I'm looking forward to seeing him this year.

A very good team this year. As talented as we've had in awhile. I expect great things from these guys.

Ray Sherman has his hands full teaching and preparing Hurd, Austin and Stanback for this season. All three guys are still learning how to play wide receiver and play in the NFL. He really can't focus that much on Lowber or any receiver that is on the practice squad. Those PS guys really have to fend for themselves. Amendola and Jefferson will have to learn the position with minimal input from the coaches once the season starts. They will get more coaching in the off season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2233293 said:
I'm curious why it's only guys like Amendola who want it and try hard. Why doesn't Sam Hurd get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? He's was an undrafted free agent who not only played his way onto the team, but also contributed as a rookie with only a fraction of the fanfare. Why doesn't Alan Ball get any credit for wanting it and trying hard? Where's the Alan Ball fanclub? Where's the Mike Jefferson fan club?

Hurd contributed exactly how as a rookie?
He is in year 3 and really hasn't contributed yet in fact and is now injured. All that said he has been T.O.'s guy all along and gotten plenty of attention for the fact he catches balls every day long after everyone else is gone home.

Alan Ball was drafted.

And none of those players are from Texas, nor played in Texas colleges.

There are a lot of differences there is you want to see them.

No one is stopping you from starting any fan club you want btw.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thanos68;2233624 said:

Or perhaps it is because he is from Houston and went to Texas Tech.
Guess all the Vince Young(or Tony Romo for that matter) fans on this board didn't get the memo he wasn't white.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
RainMan;2233341 said:
Very true. I think there's some unintentional racial undertone that is difficult to eliminate from our vocabulary at times. When a white person says a black athlete is articulate, VERY rarely do they intend it to be an insult to blacks. Yet a black man understandably could take it as such, as that white person probably wouldn't use the word "articulate" to describe a fellow white athlete.

I think the problem is that there's some built-in undertones that are unintended, but exist. So what's the answer? Become overly politically correct? That rarely helps. I think all we can do is try to think before you talk, and embrace the opinions of other races and be willing to engage in talk of whether something might have unintentionally come across as offensive. I think it's equally important for the offended not to necessarily point the finger and suggest someone was intentionally antagonizing them, but to understand it might be an unintentional slight and thus challenge them to think outside their box of comfort and see things from the other side.

Being willing to admit, "Hey, I didn't mean that to come across as being offensive, but geez, on second thought, I see your point," isn't a bad thing.

As for the white guy being smart and the black guy being athletic? Really, there's no problem on the surface. Amendola could absolutely be the smarter player, while Lowber the more athletic. But I think if someone, or society as a whole, becomes too willing to just lump all white players as "smart" and all blacks as "athletic," then there's absolutely a problem. I think that line is sometimes approached, if not crossed. But again, I think it's an unintentional slip in word choice. I don't think harm is meant, but perhaps with open dialogue people can become more aware of the issue and determine whether it is a problem. If it is, correct it. If not, carry on. Not my place as one man to decide it all.

Again, two cents. Rant over.

Very nicely put...

That is a healthy view on subject matter sometimes taken out of context.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
tomson75;2233155 said:
I feel somewhat justified in sticking up for this kid after watching that episode. We've got far better players that would do well in having Danny's attitude....I said it in another thread, but if everyone on this team had his attitude, we'd be unstoppable.

:signmast:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I can't believe what this thread has morphed into. Why read more into this than it is? Good Lord people.

BTW...................... T, Rack and Hos said it pretty well.

Oh yeah, A special round of applause goes to Inman and Thanos68 for playing the race card. We know who you are even with the egg on your face. Also, there have been plenty of people pulling for Hurd and Austin and Stanback and Pete Hunter and Henson and C-hutch and Crayton and Petitti and Cricket and the kid with the bad knees and Quincy..............the list goes on and on and you know this. Someone help me out here. I'm looking for a word that will trump pathetic.

1fisher

Reaction score
Rack;2233449 said:
Our OL would get killed.

And I don't see this big deal here. Amendola is an undersized WR from a gimmicky offense in college. He's a huge underdog and THAT is why people cheer him on. It has nothing to do with his skin color.

I cheered on Crayton when he was an undrafted rookie and I've cheered on Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, didn't see anyone making racial accusations in those cases, but now that the favorite underdog happens to be a white guy, now racism is involved?

STHU.

And if I want to say an athlete sounds articulate, I'll damn well say it. I don't care if anyone thinks it's cuz the athlete is black or not. I've put down Peyton Manning's dumb redneck, sheep "herding", accent plenty of times, didn't see anyone making racial accusations then.

:rolleyes:

sheep herding accent..... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ndanger

Reaction score
"I'm looking for a word that will trump pathetic."

I'll take " Commanders" for $600, Alex.

DING DING DING DING DING !

Looks like the "Daily Double" !

Give me " EAGLES" for all the money.

OOOGA OOOGA OOOGA ! looks like a winner ! congratulations !

What do we have for him Johnny?

Well Alex we have the new Tykoe-Mattel-Gitchiami, Danny Amendola doll. Made only in America.Your kids will love them and they come in black Danny and white Danny. Recommended for all ages. Please teach your kids to be responsible and don't forget to have the parents that aren't spayed or neutered. This is Bob Barker saying' So Long Everybody ........ooops wrong show.......been gettin' HAPPY with Gillmore again, Bob?. Dang Bob give it up, dude.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
tomson75;2233587 said:

I agree also, Maybe because I am short lol. You have to give it to the guy out of all the newbies he stood his ground. I sure hope he adds a few lbs and liftes weights here and there.

Ren

Reaction score
Thanos68;2233624 said:

Easy now Farrakhan,.. maybe just maybe it's cause he's a TTU Red Raider and the Cowboys is a Texas based team with A LOT of Texas based fans?
I know it might be a wild a crazy idea for someone that needs to manufacture racism in order to explain why a player is liked, but since this issue more or less came up cause Danny is white the problem is more,.. i dunno you? :rolleyes:

I have yet to see people around here damn near pray for a guy not to make the team until Amendola came around and the race card came into play

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2233626 said:
I don't even have cowboyrock on ignore anymore....that's how pathetic you are.

Why take cowboyrock off ignore?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2233293 said:
:hammer:

If I say what I really think, it would start trouble.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Idgit;2233436 said:
It's eerie. It's almost like this board is populated mainly with short white guys who love the game but didn't quite have the talent to make it at the next level.

And watch what you say about Sam Hurd fans. I prop the guy whenever I can. He's Baby Crayton.
I think he is a little more "athletic" than Crayton, but a fair comparison.

superpunk

Reaction score
One side will always be just as loud as the other. It's the same reason it seems like Roy has a big fan club, etc. Noone makes a big deal about Hurd, Austin, etc, because we all wanted them to succeed. I remember for the past couple offseason's being excited about Austin and shot down with "Romo's situation is unique, who cares what Bill says about Miles athleticism, Randall Willams, blargh". People say the same about Hurd. It just never escalated.

In the case of Amendola, it became a Cowboys board meme. A few people, and one notable troll got it in their head to trash the guy. Then some people who rooted for him drummed up their support. The clash continued, the debates got more fierce and long winded, and you have the current situation.

Has nothing to do with race. We just had a freaking 200 post thread about whether we made the right decision cutting Oglesby over Ball, I'm pretty sure they're both black. Give it a rest.

jerrymaguire.jpg

I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE!!!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is as much racism and/or prejudice involved in Amendola being signed to the practice squad or how popular he may be or etc., etc., as there is chicken in Jessica Simpson's Chicken of the Sea. I cannot believe my very own thread de-evolved into a black versus white non-issue.

Temo

Reaction score
A lot of you guys saying other people have pulled the "race card" aren't getting the point of his post. You are allowed to love Amendola all you want without being called a racist; that's not the problem.

The problem comes when you create a thread to rave about his work ethic, when really he's not working any harder than 70% (arbitrary number) of the FA rookies out there. These guys are all fighting for their livelihoods and dreams. Why single out his work ethic when Mike Jefferson worked as hard as he did to try and make the team? Where's the Mike Jefferson work ethic appreciation threads?

And say what you want, but I don't recall nearly as much clamor for Isiah Stanback, who is trying to convert from QB (which required far more work than Amendola) and made greater strides in his rookie year than Amendola has to date.

And I can't go back that far, but I bet there weren't any Patrick Crayton work ethic appreciation threads when he was converting from QB coming from Northwestern Oklahoma State University-- and he had success his rookie year.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
DallasEast;2234057 said:
There is as much racism and/or prejudice involved in Amendola being signed to the practice squad or how popular he may be or etc., etc., as there is chicken in Jessica Simpson's Chicken of the Sea. I cannot believe my very own thread de-evolved into a black versus white non-issue.

Interesting, isn't it?

Woody Dantzler was a favorite underdog once upon a time but no one here made an issue of it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;2234073 said:
Interesting, isn't it?

Woody Dantzler was a favorite underdog once upon a time but no one here made an issue of it.

I don't remember there being a lot of love and support for Richmond Flowers to make the team back when he was a long shot in training camp and featured on Hard Knocks in 2002.

This year Amendola benefits from being on Hard Knocks just like Lowber does. Both got support they might not otherwise get if Dallas was not on Hard Knocks this season.

Amendola also has the added benefit of being a kid from Texas. Lowber doesn't. Amendola also played at Texas Tech in the same role as Wes Welker who is already successful in the NFL. That goes a long way in this copy cat league. There is a lot that goes into the fan support that Amendola is receiving. Race can even be a contributing factor, but I don't think it is the biggest one.