Has anyone already scheduled days off and gave family warnings about the Draft?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm like you Brain. It's easier for me to work than arrange the time off. When I started planning retirement, I had 240 hours over what they'll pay me for, so I needed to burn or lose it. I worked 3-day weeks all summer to get close to my break even point. A year and a half later, I'm 99 hours over the limit again....lol.

Hate taking multiple days off at a time. That means someone is filling in for you and when you get back it is twice as much work trying to get caught up because they normally won't do the job the way you want it done.

But in the past I have had to take a number of days off throughout the year due to my wife having some medical issues, or water leak issues (the bane of my existence) so either I would only take them off for that or I would save them up for that. Pretty rare for me to take a day(s) off just for me.

But not as many things came up so far this year (knock on wood) .

coyboy

Reaction score
One of my friends and I have been watching the 1st round together going on 15 years...we used to watch on Saturday's with donuts and coffee. Now we do drinks and steak. I'll be off Friday for sure. Draft night is awesome!

T-RO

Reaction score
I like the lead up on the day of the draft. Sometimes I will get the yard work or other chores done during the day to leave the rest of my weekend free.
The second day I like reading all the articles and discussing the first day and looking to see who is still there for us to take in the 2-3.

Sometimes, and it is silly to admit, I cannot sleep well the night before or the nights between because my mind is too busy thinking about the draft.

I think it's awesome when people *deeply enjoy* stuff. Even if it might seem silly to those not in the club. I enjoy the draft but not to that degree, but think its cool you enjoy it at a higher level!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the lead up on the day of the draft. Sometimes I will get the yard work or other chores done during the day to leave the rest of my weekend free.
The second day I like reading all the articles and discussing the first day and looking to see who is still there for us to take in the 2-3.

Sometimes, and it is silly to admit, I cannot sleep well the night before or the nights between because my mind is too busy thinking about the draft.

Those 4 days (Sunday for review) are completely devoted to the NFL Draft. It's way more important than family.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Since this is not a mock draft or talking about players in the draft...

I have already scheduled Thursday and Friday off from work and wrote on the home Calendar that it is NFL Draft weekend to give the wife a warning that it will be a honey do list free weekend. lol

Although I will not be shocked if we are all sitting on the first night only to see us trade the pick away and have to wait another day for our first pick.
My boss is a huge Eagles fan so it goes without saying that both will be off early that day. I love working for somebody who is as big of an NFL fan as I am. He's not one of those of abnoxious *** Philly fans either and gives respect when it's due.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
You guys are making me realize how much I failed at marriage :)

Couldn't watch **** all for sports. Now I'm single (most of the time), and gonna drink brew and eat like a king for the draft!
Don't feel bad. I'm in the midst of a divorce.

Gotta give the soon to be ex credit though. She was a trooper during the draft. She actually watched it with me. Made food for it. We made it a ritual.

I always take the draft off. This year, I was thinking of taking partial days off. But she's going to let me have the kids those days.... So, I'm taking the full days off. Going to do stuff with them during the day. Probably play with their train sets if weather doesn't hold up (they are 2 and 4, so playing choo choo trains is a big hit)...

Hopefully have them exhausted by the time the draft starts so I can watch in peace. If not, that's ok. I'll record it if I'm distracted and watch it later in the night after they are tuckered out.

Probably chicken wings for dinner. Won't tell their mother, but we are eating bin the living room. With the TV in. Because. NFL Draft.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
isn't Thursday and Friday just at night, why would you need to take the day off?

re me, nah, I won't take the day for a draft
Here in Hawaii draft starts at 2 and 12 I think on Thursday and Friday. That's my rationale for taking off.

Last year I had a meeting I couldn't get out of during the first round. Consequently, I celebrated getting Zeke at a shrimp farm.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I watch the first round with my daughter, she is 7.............then I DVR the rest and plan to take her to the movies on Friday night (she wants to see Beauty and the Beast for like the 10th time, LOL) and then to the zoo on Saturday.

I love the draft also, but being a daddy comes first.