Has anyone been keeping up with the Zimmerman trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yes, if you accept the defense's accounts of the fact then it is not complicated.

It gets complicated when you actually listen ... and HEAR ... arguments from both sides.

Agree that it is complicated. But the burden of proof is on the prosecution and there is simply not enough evidence to convict.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
That is your opinion. That does not mean you are correct.

It is not my opinion that the burden of proof in on the prosecution--that is a legal fact. As far as the evidence goes, there is very little and that is also a fact.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Witness accounts and the 911 calls, along with the sustained injuries by Zimmerman (nose, back of head) indicate Martin was on top of Zimmerman doing a ground and pound on him, and thus the justification for Zimmerman to use a gun. I don't see why this is so complicated.

And, I do not believe that, other then the gun shot wound, there were any other signs of struggle found on Martin's body. That would suggest that Zimmerman was either busy trying to defend himself or that he simply was unable to hit Martin.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It is not my opinion that the burden of proof in on the prosecution--that is a legal fact. As far as the evidence goes, there is very little and that is also a fact.

Again. You are confusing your interpretation with fact.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
You have to prove that Zimmerman had the intent to kill. To me, Zimmerman did not say, "I am going to follow this suspicious dude and kill him." A moron, yes. A murderer, no.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Yes, if you accept the defense's accounts of the fact then it is not complicated.

It gets complicated when you actually listen ... and HEAR ... arguments from both sides.

I looked at the evidence, and listened to it as well (the screams, the eye-witnesses saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman) and this settled it for me, in accordance with Florida law. I think it got complicated for political reasons, from what I have read and seen.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Please enlighten to the evidence which proves beyond a reasonable shadow of a doubt that GZ did not shoot in self-defense.

Gee, the prosecution seemed to be arguing that entire point for the entire trial.

You are focusing on whatever information supports the outcome you want to see and acting as if that side holds the truth.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I looked at the evidence, and listened to it as well (the screams, the eye-witnesses saying Martin was on top of Zimmerman) and this settled it for me, in accordance with Florida law. I think it got complicated for political reasons, from what I have read and seen.

No, I think it got complicated b/c there was no reason for Zimmerman to create the situation that led to the shooting. He made an assumption about Martin's intentions that were incorrect and created a situation that led to his death. In my view, he got hit by a scared young man. Why was the kid scared? Because of Zimmerman's actions. That is where the complications lie.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I think it got complicated for political reasons.

Bingo

Now saying that, Zimmerman should have his guns taken away from him because he is obviously not capable of handling it correctly.

Unintentional manslaughter ...... guys life is ruined. Dumb kid is dead for no reason.

Nirvana

Reaction score
No, I think it got complicated b/c there was no reason for Zimmerman to create the situation that led to the shooting. He made an assumption about Martin's intentions that were incorrect and created a situation that led to his death. In my view, he got hit by a scared young man. Why was the kid scared? Because of Zimmerman's actions. That is where the complications lie.

How do you know he was incorrect about Martin's intentions? It is at best unclear, particularly because of jewelry found in Martin's backpack that did not belong to him.

In any event, the altercation occurred out of Zimmerman's interest in fulfilling his neighborhood watch type duties, and to curb crime in his neighborhood. I understand that his actions to approach Martin are questionable, but there simply is no proof of murder or manslaughter here. Reasonable doubt abounds, to say the least.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How do you know he was incorrect about Martin's intentions? It is at best unclear, particularly because of jewelry found in Martin's backpack that did not belong to him.

In any event, the altercation occurred out of Zimmerman's interest in fulfilling his neighborhood watch type duties, and to curb crime in his neighborhood. I understand that his actions to approach Martin are questionable, but there simply is no proof of murder or manslaughter here. Reasonable doubt abounds, to say the least.

We will never know the kids intentions. He, however, was inside a gated community where his father, who he was staying with, lived. That is pretty consistent with someone who is going home. You can cite jewelry found in his backpack that were not found to be linked to any crime at all, but that is really a stretch.

Regarding his "duties" those were to report suspicious activity. His actions are not consistent with his "duties"

Of course, you think this is about "political correctness" so I already know a ton about what you think on this issue and tons of others.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We will never know the kids intentions. He, however, was inside a gated community where his father, who he was staying with, lived. That is pretty consistent with someone who is going home. You can cite jewelry found in his backpack that were not found to be linked to any crime at all, but that is really a stretch.

Regarding his "duties" those were to report suspicious activity. His actions are not consistent with his "duties"

Of course, you think this is about "political correctness" so I already know a ton about what you think on this issue and tons of others.

Haha exactly.

Young black kid buys an iced tea and candy and is walking home. Creepy old guy starts following him in the middle of the night. Young black kid doesn't know how to respond. A fight breaks out. Young black kid gets shot and killed.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Gee, the prosecution seemed to be arguing that entire point for the entire trial.

You are focusing on whatever information supports the outcome you want to see and acting as if that side holds the truth.

Negative. I'm trying to look at it objectively from a legal standpoint. I could care either way what happens. You, however, obviously have some emotional involvement and are relying heavily on conjecture.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Negative. I'm trying to look at it objectively from a legal standpoint. I could care either way what happens. You, however, obviously have some emotional involvement and are relying heavily on conjecture.

Your focus is totally one sided yet you have fooled yourself into believing you are "objective."

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Your focus is totally one sided yet you have fooled yourself into believing you are "objective."

I'm simply focused an the available evidence, or lack thereof, but it doesn't matter you or I think--it's in the hands of the jury now. I wonder how long they will take to deliberate. Do verdicts come out on weekends?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'm simply focused an the available evidence, or lack thereof, but it doesn't matter you or I think--it's in the hands of the jury now. I wonder how long they will take to deliberate. Do verdicts come out on weekends?

They ended pretty early today after three hours of deliberation. We might see something tomorrow.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
They said that the jury will begin deliberations again tomorrow. I don't think the weekend counts as off days, I would imagine that the jury, the lawyers, the judge and everyone else involved want this over as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.