Has anyone here ever changed their favorite team?

MikeT22

Reaction score
I’m a Cowboys and Reds fan. It’s been the worst 60 combined seasons imaginable. Still wouldn’t know how to change.
Same for me since '77 when I was 8. Managed to catch the end of the Big Red Machine era but missed out on the championship years. Fortunately vividly remember the '90 WS season. Started with the Cowboys in '77 and remember rooting for them in the SB. Then came five years of getting close but ending in heartbreak followed by the slow decline to the bottom til the Jimmy years.

Never change teams but I guess the interest could wane like it has with the Reds. Used to watch or listen to about every Reds game, but the last few years I ended up just catching some scores or looking at the standings a couple of times a week. 162 games of suck is hard to keep up with.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm definitely diehard Dallas fan. But I like KC too. But no matter how much I get bummed out. I can't like another team more than Dallas. Anyone else?
My first pro sports love was the Dallas Cowboys... 1970. My second was the Houston Astros... 1971.

I didn't leave the Astros. Jim Crane bought them and packed them up in 2011, then took them to the other league in 2013 under false pretenses and in exchange for a $65m bribe that Devil Bud Selig and Drayton McLane effectively funded. I had to make a decision whether the Astros equated to a religion to me or if baseball equated to an entertainment option. If the former, I'd have to follow the team and begin watching strategy-starved DH ball. If the latter, I'd have to choose a new team after 40 years. It was the latter, not the former. I then began to think on what basis I would choose a new team, because I wanted to make a reasoned choice, not an emotional one. I made my choice based on what franchise arguably had endured some similar degree of disrespect by MLB HQ to what the Astros had at that point. Thankfully, that team delivered a WS trophy in 2019, something the Jim Crane Stros only finally legitimately achieved in 2022.

To your point, yes, it was a process, not like flipping a light switch. But after 2-3 years, I was about as passionate with my new team as I'd been with the old one.

mathew1184

Reaction score
Could never Change. I’ve been a Cowboys fan since 1994. Other teams are the Mariners and the Trailblazers.

Flamma

Reaction score
For me the Cowboys are at the top, then it's whoever I hate the least. If we're using a 1-10 scale, the Cowboys would be around 9 or 10. The closest team would be in the negatives.

If you go back in the past, I used to like the greatest show on turf, and the Warren Moon led Oilers. Maybe they'd be around a 1.

Hardline

Reaction score
If you ever changed your favorite team they were never your favorite team.

If the Cowboys ever stopped being my favorite team I would quit watching the NFL all together.
All your favorite teams you should have a State or city affiliation with.
If you are a Cowboys fan these teams should also be your favorites. Rangers,Stars and Mavs.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If you ever changed your favorite team they were never your favorite team.
False. That's sports-as-religion talk.

Sports is entertainment. A consumer choice. There might not be any discernible reason on the front end (or there might be) for choosing a given team, but for adults using the minds the good Lord gave us, there could be good reason to decide you don't want to be associated with that team any longer. (See above.)

And I'm not just speaking personally, though. My freshman year college roommate was as big a Cowboys fan as I was, but when Jerry bought the team and treated Landry as he did, my friend concluded he couldn't stand to support a team owned by such a callous narcissist (... his words).

All your favorite teams you should have a State or city affiliation with.
Hell, no.

This is why/how owners control the fan base. They think they have complete control over you. Well, at a macro level, sure, they largely have control of their market normally. But at an individual level, each person legitimately should decide for him/herself.

And being a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't have it any other way... away games are something more like home games in cities like LA and WAS. :)

_sturt_

Reaction score
The fictional barefooted ‘guru’ pitcher SI concocted who could throw holes through the backstop?
hehe... Sid Bream and Sidd Finch are two different baseball celebrities and for very different reasons.

Hardline

Reaction score
False. That's sports-as-religion talk.

Sports is entertainment. A consumer choice. There might not be any discernible reason on the front end (or there might be) for choosing a given team, but for adults using the minds the good Lord gave us, there could be good reason to decide you don't want to be associated with that team any longer. (See above.)

And I'm not just speaking personally, though. My freshman year college roommate was as big a Cowboys fan as I was, but when Jerry bought the team and treated Landry as he did, my friend concluded he couldn't stand to support a team owned by such a callous narcissist (... his words).

Hell, no.

This is why/how owners control the fan base. They think they have complete control over you. Well, at a macro level, sure, they largely have control of their market normally. But at an individual level, each person legitimately should decide for him/herself.

And being a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't have it any other way... away games are something more like home games in cities like LA and WAS. :)
You posted that long response and wrong about everything.

John813

Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of these teams
Heat since 02 used to root against them in 98 to annoy my family lol
Panthers(nhl)since 00
Dallas since Jimmy
Miami dolphins when Jimmy went there

The only team I ever gave up on was the marlins. Loria can EAD and the new owners aren’t any better

_sturt_

Reaction score
You posted that long response and wrong about everything.

If I offended you, my lord, please accept my apologies.

trre.gif

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
No way, my ex wife worked for another NFL team so I casually rooted for them because it benefited me financially but when they played Dallas it was never a question.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I could never do that. In fact I have a tough time maintaining interest in watching an entire NFL game if the Cowboys aren't playing in it.

I just spent the second half of the AFC Championship here taking only occasional glances at the game.

Eddie

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan, but I have utter hatred for Jerry Jones and his idiot family.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I lived in South Carolina when the Panthers were born. I couldn't believe how many people switched teams because they were local. I friggin hated it because the Panthers took over the normal local Cowboys slot so there were fewer games I could watch normally.

I couldn't understand how they could abandon their old team so easily.

I'm a Cowboys fan for life. I've already invested 55+ years into them.

DaBoys12

Reaction score
Never.
It was tough in the 80’s, which made the 90’s even sweeter when they won 3.
The last 20+ years has also been tough, but that’s what will make the next so special.

They will get it done again, just hope I’m above ground when it happens.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm definitely diehard Dallas fan. But I like KC too. But no matter how much I get bummed out. I can't like another team more than Dallas. Anyone else?
I became a solid Cowboys fan about 24 years ago when I moved to Dallas. I like KC as well because Mahomes is fun to watch, he's a truly great QB, but if push comes to shove, I'm a Cowboys fan 1st.