Has Big Mike converted you

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the hire but it's hard to argue with the results we've seen this season. This team looks different and has shown they can win games on days when they don't score 30 points - they have more than one way to win a game. That's what championship teams do.

Not saying this is a championship team (yet), but they're more of a contender than they've been in years.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The culture is the difference between night and day from the Garrett era. Like I said earlier, he does his best work during the week and it shows on game day. They are playing as a team, not just each unit doing their own thing.

Hard-nosed football is back while the country club atmosphere is being pushed out.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
meh, i'd give more credit to Quinn and Moore than McCarthy at the moment. I think this was the first game this season that his decision making didn't negatively impact us. If he keeps that up, then it's smooth sailing

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
One thing I love about big Mike is he is surrounding himself with talented coordinators. We live in an age where everyone thinks the head coach has to be an Xs and Os guy, but a lot of those guys fall short of leading the team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was happy they hired him. I did not think he did a good job last year though. Too many weird calls. I didn’t lose all hope because of all the injuries but I started to wonder if the GB run was all AR. The first game was sloppy but the Bucs are solid plus Brady is THE Goat. Since then this team has been on a roll. Last 2 games were against well coached solid teams on the road. Dallas didn’t play great but they got the job done. Lots of guys chipping in. Defense is about to get a shot in the arm too.

I am back to believing in Big Mike. I think he has done a very good job here. This team needs to learn how to win and they are. I am officially sold on McCarthy.

Where are you right now?

Last year should not have been held against McCarthy. We lost most of our offensive line and our quarterback on top of all the weird COVID stuff. Pretty much every new staff struggled last year because of the condensed time constraints to implement their changes.

McCarthy really shouldn't have had to convert anyone. He's a Super Bowl-winning coach with several NFC Championship Games on his resume. Yes, he still has to prove he can do it without Rodgers, but I see little reason to doubt him until he shows he can't get it done.

gimmesix

Reaction score
One thing I love about big Mike is he is surrounding himself with talented coordinators. We live in an age where everyone thinks the head coach has to be an Xs and Os guy, but a lot of those guys fall short of leading the team.

McCarthy is an X's and O's guy, but he appears smart enough to not just push his offensive system no matter what. I believe what we are seeing is a nice blend by a head coach who does understand the value of having guys he can trust so that he can make sure the whole operation is functioning.

ghst187

Reaction score
He’s way better than JG but still can’t manage games.
If we are going to lose Moore in the off-season, I’d rather lose MM and promote Moore.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yep, ima start getting Brisket flown in from Texas so I can throw on a quick 80 pounds

Does Franklins deliver out of state?

gimmesix

Reaction score
He’s way better than JG but still can’t manage games.
If we are going to lose Moore in the off-season, I’d rather lose MM and promote Moore.

Josh McDaniels looked like the next great thing in coaching as New England's offensive coordinator. After two failures, he's back with New England.

Moore's attempt may turn out much better than that, but I'd rather go with a Super Bowl-winning coach than the next wunderkind who might turn out to be a washout. It's possible that his ceiling might be offensive coordinator.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Agreed.

There can be some picking of nits about during-the-game decisions, but before and after the game I think the guy has done a terrific job. Far better than what we've seen in a long time.

Every great coach still has flaws in their game. Andy Reid has always been a disaster at clock management and time-outs. Belichick has regressed into a major risk-averse coach. Fans of all 32 teams can second guess their coach. It's easier to armchair coach than even armchair qb.

I'm 38 years old and while I've watched the Cowboys all my life, it began in earnest ~1999/2000. Took years for me to learn the game and how to watch/look for it. So in my football watching life, I've not seen a lot of competent coaching. This team is ready every. single. week. There is a gameplan, that is well designed, the players know it, and they execute. It's not always pretty and there are some problems, but i've never witnessed something like this.

Closest was 2014 and 2016, which I thought were Garrets' best two years. But I realize now that he was just making obvious calls with loaded rosters. I feel like McCarthy given talent like this takes those kind of teams to NFCCG.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was happy they hired him. I did not think he did a good job last year though. Too many weird calls. I didn’t lose all hope because of all the injuries but I started to wonder if the GB run was all AR. The first game was sloppy but the Bucs are solid plus Brady is THE Goat. Since then this team has been on a roll. Last 2 games were against well coached solid teams on the road. Dallas didn’t play great but they got the job done. Lots of guys chipping in. Defense is about to get a shot in the arm too.

I am back to believing in Big Mike. I think he has done a very good job here. This team needs to learn how to win and they are. I am officially sold on McCarthy.

Where are you right now?
I don’t make judgements on a HC for at least a couple years so never was against him. And looking at everything that happened last year I thought he did a good job. They won most of their games towards the end of the year.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was good with the hiring. Last year sucked but he lost his starting QB, and, it was fair to give him at least a season to implement his culture. He did make some crazy decisions last season, but I think he was trying to swing his you know what around and prove he turned into some edgy coach in his year off. He has throttled off that a bit this season. Also, he owned up to his Nolan hiring mistake and fired his buddy.

Anyway, he has this team looking ready, playing with swagger, and playing hard for each other.

Amari Cooper said it last night is his post-game interview "I've been in the league 7 years now and this is the best team I've ever been a part of." That is good enough for me.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I didn't have to be converted.

A six year old and a chimp would be better than Garrett.

But yeah, I'm impressed by this coaching staff. 2020 was a fluke and I still blame Big Mike for Nolan, but the ship seems to be very righted.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Yep, ima start getting Brisket flown in from Texas so I can throw on a quick 80 pounds

Does Franklins deliver out of state?

They do, actually. About $250 I believe but I'm told it's almost just as good as getting it there.

Sydla

Reaction score
No.

Because my concerns for him revolve around clock management decisions and crucial decisions in key games.

He has yet to prove to me not to be concerned.

Big_D

Reaction score
I was good with the hiring. Last year sucked but he lost his starting QB, and, it was fair to give him at least a season to implement his culture. He did make some crazy decisions last season, but I think he was trying to swing his you know what around and prove he turned into some edgy coach in his year off. He has throttled off that a bit this season. Also, he owned up to his Nolan hiring mistake and fired his buddy.

Anyway, he has this team looking ready, playing with swagger, and playing hard for each other.

Amari Cooper said it last night is his post-game interview "I've been in the league 7 years now and this is the best team I've ever been a part of." That is good enough for me.

Last year this was a team that was going no where from the jump. Injuries galore and an overall roster that wasn't very good.

You saw a clear difference on how he would manage a game from Dak to Rush. Him putting his confidence in his first team offense. It's been working and confidence keeps getting better and better top to bottom.

So far it definitely seems like his "crazy decisions" are a reason this team is playing so well. We just became way too used to a neutered, zero condfidence football team.