Has Big Mike converted you

shabazz

Reaction score
They do, actually. About $250 I believe but I'm told it's almost just as good as getting it there.

That Texas brisket ain’t overrated.....If Austin hasn’t succeeded from Texas yet....or been kicked out.:D

Thanks for the tip

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My feelings never changed, he was not my 1st choice but I have always respected him as a HC. I think it is a bit of a copout to say he only won because of Rodgers, well if you put other top HC under the same microscope you could easily say that because of their great QB they won. Landry and Staubach Bill Walsh, Montana, Brady and Belichick. Normally when you find a successful HC you find a QB there as well. Right now Mike has his team playing great football we will see where it goes from here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only user that would say no is Jason Garrett himself, @Idgit

I think what I thought when he was hired. MM is a good coach capable of getting a championship with a Super Bowl roster and an MVP caliber QB. But he’s limited in terms of play calling and game management.

Kellen Moore takes the play calling limitation off the table. Game management differential is important, but not as important as fans like to think because it’s so visible and the only view most fans have into what a coach actually does. But like I said about Garrett, these days game management is a shared effort between the entire staff and the players with mics in their helmets anyway.

As for your Jason Garret comment, I could easily go back to archived 2016 posts and demonstrate just how fickle most of the board is when it comes to coaching. You like McCarthy now, because the team is winning. Whether they’re winning because of him or not is almost completely irrelevant. The minute they lose a game that really counts, the converts will magically convert back, and they’ll have “known it all along.” It’s just so dumb.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes. His game management skills can shaky…but so are a whole bunch of other coaches.

Reaction score
I was happy they hired him. I did not think he did a good job last year though. Too many weird calls. I didn’t lose all hope because of all the injuries but I started to wonder if the GB run was all AR. The first game was sloppy but the Bucs are solid plus Brady is THE Goat. Since then this team has been on a roll. Last 2 games were against well coached solid teams on the road. Dallas didn’t play great but they got the job done. Lots of guys chipping in. Defense is about to get a shot in the arm too.

I am back to believing in Big Mike. I think he has done a very good job here. This team needs to learn how to win and they are. I am officially sold on McCarthy.

Where are you right now?
We don't win these last 2 games with Garrett as HC.

So he is a upgrade for sure. Still uneasy about some game day decisions, but overall a far superior coach than the previous guy

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Coaches and Quarterbacks. Always an armchair or backseat driver out there…

I’m sure McCarthy is filing the notes from this thread with the others in his 6-drawer file cabinet from the internet of what he needs to work on.

Section446

Reaction score
Yes, I'm fine admitting that. Now, I'm not sure how much of it is him vs. Moore getting better and the addition of Quinn, but the results suggest that the coaching staff in general has vastly improved and that starts with McCarthy.

khiladi

Reaction score
The biggest surprise is Quinn, who is not playing the scheme he was his whole career. This is a brand new DC apparently. If it weren't for that, we'd probably be blowing fourth quarter leagues regularly. Quinn has been horrible defensively for years.

That being said, this team had talent anyways, Garrett was the problem as far the culture. Jerry letting him go was basically a sign that he has moved on from the main emotional tie that was a hindrance in making necessary personnel changes. The play calling is still in the hands of the coordinators. Not sure how much influence Mike has had in that department, but I do think his WC coaching tree had influence last year when Dallas went to a quick passing attack for the WC QB Dalton's stretch after the bye.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He thought he was on to something last year. Lol. Garrett has proven to be terrible and MM is a massive step up.

To be clear, you’re saying the HC last year was what you consider to have been a quality job? Be honest.

I have to clarify so it’s not misrepresented, I wasn’t against hiring Mike McCarthy. I thought he was the best available option and a good fit for our ownership and for where we were as a team. And then I thought he blew the implementation of the defense by bringing in a complicated system in his first year when we had a massively limited training camp. Then he made multiple bad in-game decisions and turned in a mediocre-to-below-average coaching job. Only a fool or a shill would argue otherwise.

What was fun was watching it dawn on a bunch of simpletons in blue face paint that what they we’re so sure was the issue all along wasn’t actually the issue at all. And now it’s been fun seeing that three team corrected its mistake at DC, added a couple of great pieces, and is delivering to its potential.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The truth is Big Mac is a candidate for Coach of the Year. Most will say we are winning despite MM but IMO that is clearly a stupid thing to say.....Skip Bayless

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I never bad mouthed him. I wanted Matt Ruhle but never bad mouthed Big Mike.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
If I told you at the beginning of the season Laell Collins was gonna miss 5 games, Demarcus Lawrence would be out, Dak would miss a game, Gallup would be out and Tyron would be in and out of games what would you say our record would be? It's been beyond impressive what this coaching staff has done!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Tell me who you would have taken instead with that 20-20 hindsight.

CWR

Reaction score
To be clear, you’re saying the HC last year was what you consider to have been a quality job? Be honest.

I have to clarify so it’s not misrepresented, I wasn’t against hiring Mike McCarthy. I thought he was the best available option and a good fit for our ownership and for where we were as a team. And then I thought he blew the implementation of the defense by bringing in a complicated system in his first year when we had a massively limited training camp. Then he made multiple bad in-game decisions and turned in a mediocre-to-below-average coaching job. Only a fool or a shill would argue otherwise.

What was fun was watching it dawn on a bunch of simpletons in blue face paint that what they we’re so sure was the issue all along wasn’t actually the issue at all. And now it’s been fun seeing that three team corrected its mistake at DC, added a couple of great pieces, and is delivering to its potential.

I dont believe MM was good last year, but I dont believe anyone would have been.

I think more than anything you over estimated Garrett's worth. He really isn't a very good coach, at all. He does some things well, but he gives very little in the way of a competitive advantage. We are seeing not only what a complete roster looks like, but actual accountability. That is something I never saw from Garrett. If JG is here Jaylon is probably still out there clowning, and LC goes right back in to the starting line up. We are also seeing our game plan adjusted to the defense and taking advantage of weaknesses. We are seeing actual outside the box thinking instead of JGs next man up bs (Parsons at DE.) When MM called time out last night to get Gregory and Parsons on the field for third down all I could think of was the final play of our season with the game on the line and JG sitting on his hands while Amari Cooper was on the sidelines. It can't be under stated how terrible Garrett was.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I was happy they hired him. I did not think he did a good job last year though. Too many weird calls. I didn’t lose all hope because of all the injuries but I started to wonder if the GB run was all AR. The first game was sloppy but the Bucs are solid plus Brady is THE Goat. Since then this team has been on a roll. Last 2 games were against well coached solid teams on the road. Dallas didn’t play great but they got the job done. Lots of guys chipping in. Defense is about to get a shot in the arm too.

I am back to believing in Big Mike. I think he has done a very good job here. This team needs to learn how to win and they are. I am officially sold on McCarthy.

Where are you right now?

I’m still on the fence. I sense the overall culture has changed for the better but I’m not sure if that is MM or a combo of Dak/Moore and Quinn finally having everyone playing hard in legitimate modern schemes. Still not sure if MM would keep this going if we lost the two coordinators.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
There is no denying this team just has a different feel to it, but none of that matters if the team makes the post-season and bows out in the Divisional round yet again. I'm going to see how the season finishes out before I proclaim myself converted.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont believe MM was good last year, but I dont believe anyone would have been.

I think more than anything you over estimated Garrett's worth. He really isn't a very good coach, at all. He does some things well, but he gives very little in the way of a competitive advantage. We are seeing not only what a complete roster looks like, but actual accountability. That is something I never saw from Garrett. If JG is here Jaylon is probably still out there clowning, and LC goes right back in to the starting line up. We are also seeing our game plan adjusted to the defense and taking advantage of weaknesses. We are seeing actual outside the box thinking instead of JGs next man up bs (Parsons at DE.) When MM called time out last night to get Gregory and Parsons on the field for third down all I could think of was the final play of our season with the game on the line and JG sitting on his hands while Amari Cooper was on the sidelines. It can't be under stated how terrible Garrett was.

Agree to disagree. What we’re seeing so far isn’t any different from what we saw in 2016. People said that team was special and accountable and was mentally tough, too. 2014 wasn’t far behind. We’ve had real contenders. We just didn’t deliver for whatever reason.

We’ve got a contender again this season. To my thinking, that’s the most important thing you can ask of a coach: put together a team that’s good enough to win it all. From there, luck, injuries, matchups, officiating all have their effect. I love what I’m seeing so far, but this isn’t a unicorn just because some talking heads recognize that hyping Dallas is a win for them no matter how things turn out.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
What I said a few weeks ago....he was overrated as a hire and in Green Bay but now he’s become underrated. He’s a good coach not a great one and that’s ok. He’s undeniably flawed with clock management that’s pretty clear but I think he’s very good at game planning week to week, organizing and distinguishing roles for players and I think he’s respected by the players and coaches on his staff.