Has Dak ever led a game winning drive?

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
You can crown him all you want.

Thanks! Consider him crowned!

And he's had 14 game winning drives since he started, and I believe that's as many or more than anyone else in that span of time, but don't let facts get in the way of a good hate.

Bart4u

Reaction score
it’s difficult because it requires research. There are easily pulled stats to reference but you’re changing definitions on the fly arbitrarily. So it requires a little extra legwork. The same would be required for every qb, or if you wanted to know how many first downs a rb had run for except that the runs had to be 10 yds or more

Do you know the answer?
I don’t think Dak is the QB of the future for this team. He is too hot and cold. Last night he missed many plays where he had open men on passing plays. The missed swing pass near the end zone was something you see from a back up QB. Moore is designing the plays because there are open men but Dak has failed to complete the play.. Just my opinion.

Bart4u

Reaction score
it’s difficult because it requires research. There are easily pulled stats to reference but you’re changing definitions on the fly arbitrarily. So it requires a little extra legwork. The same would be required for every qb, or if you wanted to know how many first downs a rb had run for except that the runs had to be 10 yds or more

Do you know the answer?
I don’t think Dak is the QB of the future for this team. He is too hot and cold. Last night he missed many plays where he had open men on passing plays. The missed swing pass near the end zone was something you see from a back up QB. Moore is designing the plays because there are open men but Dak has failed to complete the play.. Just my opinion.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

And he's had 14 game winning drives since he started, and I believe that's as many or more than anyone else in that span of time, but don't let facts get in the way of a good hate.

Where are you getting this stat? He has 15 4th quarter comebacks, and most of those are not "game winning drives"

Proof

Reaction score

mattjames2010

Reaction score
so what’s the answer? Football outsiders credits him with 14 game winning drives and 8 fourth quarter comebacks and went to great lengths to differentiate the two. So what do you have? Genuinely curious.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=PresDa01

Go look at them individually. They give Dak Prescott the "game winning drive" for a Steelers game that we got down the field with a facemask penalty and Zeke's long run, they have "gwd" for the Vikings game when there was nearly 8 minutes left in the 4th and we got a field goal.

That's just two examples. A true game winning drive for a QB is like when Dak drove the ball down the field against the Eagles in OT and got a TD to Witten. A kicker knocking a 53 yarder is somehow placed on the QB, yet, no one calls a missed 53 yarder a loss for the QB....it's always only a positive for the QB.

It's a silly metric and this is often used for Aaron Rodgers as well, who is absolutely trash in the clutch.

Proof

Reaction score
Go look at them individually. They give Dak Prescott the "game winning drive" for a Steelers game that we got down the field with a facemask penalty and Zeke's long run, they have "gwd" for the Vikings game when there was nearly 8 minutes left in the 4th and we got a field goal.

That's just two examples. A true game winning drive for a QB is like when Dak drove the ball down the field against the Eagles in OT and got a TD to Witten. A kicker knocking a 53 yarder is somehow placed on the QB, yet, no one calls a missed 53 yarder a loss for the QB....it's always only a positive for the QB.

It's a silly metric and this is often used for Aaron Rodgers as well, who is absolutely trash in the clutch.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. So do you know how many he had then?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. So do you know how many he had then?

I'll have to look through them again, but I can only remember two - the Eagles game in 2016 and the Giants game in 2018.

But to give a couple more examples of why "GWD" is misleading. Here is the score for the Giants game in 2017: 30-10, yet Dak is credited with a "GWD" in that game. I mean, what the hell?

Proof

Reaction score
I'll have to look through them again, but I can only remember two - the Eagles game in 2016 and the Giants game in 2018.

But to give a couple more examples of why "GWD" is misleading. Here is the score for the Giants game in 2017: 30-10, yet Dak is credited with a "GWD" in that game. I mean, what the hell?

Yeah I get it. It’s like if a basketball player hits a shot with three minutes left, and neither scored again calling it a buzzer beater lol. It’s just a bit disingenuous (in this thread) to hold it against him when that’s the metric for everyone

DFWJC

Reaction score
Game-winning drives can be a bit deceptive.

If your team is losing in the final couple of minutes and you help drive your team down for the go-ahead points...and those points hold up.
That'd be legit.
The ones where you get the go ahead points early in the 4th and the team holds that lead--that is dicey.
Or the D gets a turnover and you kick the winning FG. LOL. QB had nothing to do with it but still gets the "game-winning" drive.

But same rules apply to all QBs

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah I get it. It’s like if a basketball player hits a shot with three minutes left, and neither scored again calling it a buzzer beater lol. It’s just a bit disingenuous (in this thread) to hold it against him when that’s the metric for everyone

I'm not just saying it's for Dak, I'm saying what they consider "clutch" and what they consider "GWD" are flawed.

Look at Derek Carr https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=CarrDe02

He had 11 "GWD" from 2015 through 2016, with 3 in 2018 and 3 in 2019. Nobody considers Derek Carr "clutch", for good reason

Andy Dalton is ranked within the top 30, all-time. Nobody considers him clutch

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=DaltAn00

If you really go through the list, while of course some are accurate, the top 50 is filled with a lot of JAGs or players nobody would consider to be clutch: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

I also wish a lot of these stat nerds would start putting more emphasis on quality of opponent - it's what separates the elite players with the average player or even bumps down some of the supposed elite players like Rodgers and Rivers. Rodgers record in the clutch against winning teams is one of the worst you'll see, while Rivers is in the top 50 while he leads the NFL all-time with taking Ls when trailing by 7 or less in the clutch.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm not just saying it's for Dak, I'm saying what they consider "clutch" and what they consider "GWD" are flawed.

Look at Derek Carr https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=CarrDe02

He had 11 "GWD" from 2015 through 2016, with 3 in 2018 and 3 in 2019. Nobody considers Derek Carr "clutch", for good reason

Andy Dalton is ranked within the top 30, all-time. Nobody considers him clutch

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=DaltAn00

If you really go through the list, while of course some are accurate, the top 50 is filled with a lot of JAGs or players nobody would consider to be clutch: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

I also wish a lot of these stat nerds would start putting more emphasis on quality of opponent - it's what separates the elite players with the average player or even bumps down some of the supposed elite players like Rodgers and Rivers. Rodgers record in the clutch against winning teams is one of the worst you'll see, while Rivers is in the top 50 while he leads the NFL all-time with taking Ls when trailing by 7 or less in the clutch.

right I get it. It’s silly and without context, or without useful context. I meant more how this thread devolved. Has Dak EVER??? Well yeah, here’s proof. NOPE!

We’ve now established he has at minimum had some, but whether it’s one or two or twenty doesn’t matter if we don’t know what other guys have also done since it’s all categorized the same

basel90

Reaction score

Hope you changed your mind since the Buffalo game ? Do you agree He was terrible or are you single minded about Dak ?