Has Jet's Jamal Adams to Cowboys trade rumors resurfaced?

Gaede

Reaction score
Then clearly "not the same thing".

Uh, dude, you're also paying top of the market money on top of giving up the draft pick.

You do one or the other for "one player", not both.
:facepalm:

Money shouldn't be a concern for fans, and I'm perplexed that it ever is.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
For a first and two 2nds they can keep him I would consider trading a 1st and a 4th, but that's all. Too many needs this year and next to give away picks.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
For a first and two 2nds they can keep him I would consider trading a 1st and a 4th, but that's all. Too many needs this year and next to give away picks.
Who can blame them for trying.

It says right on page 1 of the 'GM Wanna-Be Handbook'..

"If you are rebuilding your team, call Jerrah Jones in Big D. He trades for anybody if it will get press to cover it".

Sure..go ahead.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who can blame them for trying.

It says right on page 1 of the 'GM Wanna-Be Handbook'..

"If you are rebuilding your team, call Jerrah Jones in Big D. He trades for anybody if it will get press to cover it".

Sure..go ahead.
How many players on the current roster did the Cowboys trade for? Amari Cooper, and …?

The team has been built far and away on homegrown talent for a number of years now. And realistically there was never the volume of trades some think. They just notice the ones that really worked out poorly (like Galloway and Roy Williams) and perceive that it happens more than it does.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Just draft Xavier McKinney in the 1st 2 rounds and call it a win. Lewis, Awuzie, Brown, Dix and McKinney would actually be a solid secondary, especially if they can shore up the defensive line more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Respectfully, I still consider that a terrible idea. Two picks to have to reset the market for a strong safety. And I see no reason at all as to why the Jets would go for it either. Absolutely no part of it benefits them in any way. They look cheap, they gave up their best player for peanuts, and they have Xavier Woods for one year? Their new GM would already be fired.

If you know you are not going to reset the market and you are not going to get a first-round pick for him, isn't it better to get a starting safety and two picks? It benefits the Jets because they don't have to pay a salary they obviously do not want to pay and get something good in exchange.

The two picks doesn't bother me. They could turn out to be Gavin Esbobar and Chaz Green. Jamal Adam is a young, proven player at a position we've needed to fix for years. You've got to give something to get something. Some of you hold on to these picks like they are some kind of guarantee of success instead of a talent gamble. I've already seen some of this board essentially count on getting starters with at least the first three picks and possibly beyond that. The hope after the first round is that you luck into a player as good as Adams;that should never be the expectation.

Gaede

Reaction score
Salary. Cap.

This ain't Madden.

LOL. Who cares about how much salary cap we have? We frequently have a ton and do nothing with it. I don't view contracts as a limiting or encouraging factor, because this team clearly doesn't think of it

Nexx

Reaction score
Just saying thats pretty much what we did with Amari, Spent a 1st and gave big free agent money to him. Granted we did get a season and half on his rookie contract.

And?

whats-your-point-vanessa.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you know you are not going to reset the market and you are not going to get a first-round pick for him, isn't it better to get a starting safety and two picks? It benefits the Jets because they don't have to pay a salary they obviously do not want to pay and get something good in exchange.

I don't see it. And if the Jets aren't willing to do it, why should we be giving up multiple picks to do it?

The two picks doesn't bother me. They could turn out to be Gavin Esbobar and Chaz Green.

Or Conner Williams and Michael Gallup? Or Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis?

Jamal Adam is a young, proven player at a position we've needed to fix for years. You've got to give something to get something. Some of you hold on to these picks like they are some kind of guarantee of success instead of a talent gamble.

While others play Madden football?

I've already seen some of this board essentially count on getting starters with at least the first three picks and possibly beyond that. The hope after the first round is that you luck into a player as good as Adams;that should never be the expectation.

You have to at some point. That's how one team succeeds while another one fails. Anybody can see a good player after the fact, and throw picks and market setting money along with it. That takes no brains or skills at all. That's why it's a mistake, not a smart idea.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just saying thats pretty much what we did with Amari, Spent a 1st and gave big free agent money to him. Granted we did get a season and half on his rookie contract.

Oh yeah, but my point is that a team can't make a practice out of giving up premium draft picks and then having to pay top-of-the-market contracts soon after.

It's not sustainable.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's something that can't become a pattern though. A team can do fine with an occasional move like that, but if done too often you keep stocking up on players with little time left on their contract before having to either pay them big time dollars or let them walk away. That's not a sustainable pattern for success, especially with other players that a team has to negotiate with and pay every year. A team still needs highly successful players on signed as rookes and paid on rookie deals to make it sustainable.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Adams is a great player, but he's going to get paid. Not a fan of giving up tons of draft capital.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adams is a great player, but he's going to get paid. Not a fan of giving up tons of draft capital.
AND tons of cap space on top of that when he is signed to an extension

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see it. And if the Jets aren't willing to do it, why should we be giving up multiple picks to do it?

Or Conner Williams and Michael Gallup? Or Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis?

While others play Madden football?

You have to at some point. That's how one team succeeds while another one fails. Anybody can see a good player after the fact, and throw picks and market setting money along with it. That takes no brains or skills at all. That's why it's a mistake, not a smart idea.

Some of you aren't for anyone getting paid. Dallas has the money to add a good, young player who can play out his contract and likely will be better than any safety the team can draft. The Jets seem to be at an impasse with Adams, but just because they don't want to pay him doesn't mean he isn't worth it.

Right now, I'd take Adams over any of the combination of players you mentioned that we took with our second- and third-round picks. He's an All-Pro while most of them are just good and won't even warrant a second contract here.

Being realistic about the approach you would take isn't playing Madden football. I offered what I thought was fair. If the Jets aren't interested in that, I wouldn't want Dallas to offer any more than that. It may take two firsts to get him, but I'm not interested in him at that price. (If you are using the term in reference to believing that Dallas doesn't have the money to afford Adams, that's just fallacy.)

Success is part draft, part proven player acquisition. You've got to strike a balance, which the Joneses have failed to do over the years, either leaning one was or the other, hurting this teams chances of success. You don't win on every draft pick; no team does. Strategic use of free agency and trades is important.

Right now, we have two starting free safeties. Adams is one of the best strong safeties in the game. Acquiring him for the right price would be a great get for turning this defense around.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of you aren't for anyone getting paid. Dallas has the money to add a good, young player who can play out his contract and likely will be better than any safety the team can draft. The Jets seem to be at an impasse with Adams, but just because they don't want to pay him doesn't mean he isn't worth it.

Right now, I'd take Adams over any of the combination of players you mentioned that we took with our second- and third-round picks. He's an All-Pro while most of them are just good and won't even warrant a second contract here.

Being realistic about the approach you would take isn't playing Madden football. I offered what I thought was fair. If the Jets aren't interested in that, I wouldn't want Dallas to offer any more than that. It may take two firsts to get him, but I'm not interested in him at that price. (If you are using the term in reference to believing that Dallas doesn't have the money to afford Adams, that's just fallacy.)

Success is part draft, part proven player acquisition. You've got to strike a balance, which the Joneses have failed to do over the years, either leaning one was or the other, hurting this teams chances of success. You don't win on every draft pick; no team does. Strategic use of free agency and trades is important.

Right now, we have two starting free safeties. Adams is one of the best strong safeties in the game. Acquiring him for the right price would be a great get for turning this defense around.
I think most would agree that as a player Adams is the best we could hope for at safety, but it isn't just a matter of not wanting to pay someone, it's a matter of managing the salary cap and being able to be competitive long term. To do that a team can't keep giving away the opportunity to get high quality players on lower priced rookie contracts. That's a large part of the value in high draft picks. Without that it's hard to build something that can be sustained. It's not realistic to have a team full of high priced veterans, no matter how good they are on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of you aren't for anyone getting paid.

And "some of you" think throwing multiple picks to pay top-of-the-market to a strong safety is a good thing. See how that type of sweeping generalization goes both ways?

Dallas has the money to add a good, young player who can play out his contract and likely will be better than any safety the team can draft. The Jets seem to be at an impasse with Adams, but just because they don't want to pay him doesn't mean he isn't worth it.

Then they could have and should have signed a free agent. Not give up picks for the right to set the market.

Clearly, you're head over heels in love.

The term is used in terms of paying both draft picks and top of the market money. It's a dumb idea that might work in the imaginary world of the Madden football video-game but not the real world.

And no part of using both draft picks and top of the market contracts to do it.

And "right price" has nothing to do with giving up multiple picks and then paying a top of the market contract. You undermine your own proposal right there.