Has Jet's Jamal Adams to Cowboys trade rumors resurfaced?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It the New York Post.
Exactly!!!!!

tenor.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure Dallas think there good now because they got haha
Ha Ha is only on a one year deal. He's not what would keep the Cowboys from trading for Adams. It's the loss of high draft picks and the fact a new, high priced contract would have to be negotiated to have Adams longer than one year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ha Ha is only on a one year deal. He's not what would keep the Cowboys from trading for Adams. It's the loss of high draft picks and the fact a new, high priced contract would have to be negotiated to have Adams longer than one year.

:hammer:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Looks like idle fan chatter to me.

If the Cowboys were unwilling to give up the exorbitant asking price of a 1st and two 2nd's last year, in yet another vain effort to save a worthless head coach from being fired, they're not about to pay it now, six months later, and another year into the player's cheap rookie contract.

The draft is about acquiring cheap labor for as long as you can, not about giving up premium draft assets to pay top-of-the-market money for someone else's player.

It can work if you have a super bowl caliber roster, see us bringing in Deion Sanders in 95. Problem is I thought we weren't that far off at the start of last season, but we were clearly much further than we thought.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It can work if you have a super bowl caliber roster, see us bringing in Deion Sanders in 95.

What draft picks did they give up for Deion Sanders?

Problem is I thought we weren't that far off at the start of last season, but we were clearly much further than we thought.

I agree, I thought we had something based on how they exploded out of the gate in those first few games last year. But then they lost to every team they faced with a winning record again and again and again and then I realized that they were a fraud once again.

By the time the Adams trade reports started, I was effectively done with the season and just wanted a fresh start, rather than again mortgaging the future in an effort to save bad coaches and lost seasons.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That would be extremely shocking. They really like him and they need CB's. He's a lock to get extended unless he wants B. Jones type money.
I agree. Some fans think otherwise but they shouldn't be making the mistake of thinking their opinion is shared by the FO.

luckyman76

Reaction score
Everyone wanting to trade for Jamal Adams needs to get their head out of something when it comes to this defense. We may be top 10 this year but what does that really mean. We are paying 3 players in DLaw, Jaylon, and probably LVE down the road. We have stop gaps at DT, screwed up last years 2nd, and will be rebuilding the secondary. Over the next 3 years we have 9 picks that we need to nail to rebuild this D. One of them is probably going to be a slot WR and a C. That may leave 7. We are going to need multiple 3-4 DL and OLB. We can virtually replace everyone in the secondary. Brown is basically a Nickel corner. With our overspending on offense we MUST use the draft to rebuild our D with the top picks. We are not going to go 9 for 9 or 7 for 7 on picks. People assume this massive cap jump but look at all of the positions we will have to fill on D next year if things don't work this year. Entire secondary, LVE, maybe OLB/RDE. It's not just sunshine and rainbows. We have repeatedly been making the same mistakes. When your solution to a problem is consistently plugging in Jeff Heath those teams don't win. You don't see the Ravens pull crap like that with their D. You have to invest in it as a priority at the top of the draft and not just hope a 6th rounder works out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think most would agree that as a player Adams is the best we could hope for at safety, but it isn't just a matter of not wanting to pay someone, it's a matter of managing the salary cap and being able to be competitive long term. To do that a team can't keep giving away the opportunity to get high quality players on lower priced rookie contracts. That's a large part of the value in high draft picks. Without that it's hard to build something that can be sustained. It's not realistic to have a team full of high priced veterans, no matter how good they are on the field.

There's a difference in making a splash here and there and having "a team full of high-priced veterans." The Cowboys have more than $20 million in cap space and that's with Prescott on the franchise tag. One they work out a deal with him, it will be even more.

erod

Reaction score
He's the best defensive back in football, and he's young.

So what's that worth?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a difference in making a splash here and there and having "a team full of high-priced veterans." The Cowboys have more than $20 million in cap space and that's with Prescott on the franchise tag. One they work out a deal with him, it will be even more.
Spotrac has it listed as 17.4 million of cap space left, but regardless of the number, the way you are viewing it is overly simplistic. To begin with, I have a problem talking about making a deal for "splash" value - there is more to consider than how prominent the deal appears to anyone. But aside from that, how much room we have THIS year can't be the lone consideration. To have ongoing success teams have to consider future impacts, and expected future obligations and future flexibility to make deals. Specifically looking at Adams, his contract expires this season, and it will take a big commitment to keep him for 2021 and thereafter, and we can't act as if there won't be other commitments that have to be made next year and the year after that and the year after that. And if we keep giving away top picks making these kinds of deals we won't have the opportunity to offset whatever big contracts we have with high impact players on rookie contracts. And, again, it's not just about this year. That is a problem that can compound, and if the team isn't very careful it can freeze itself out of the ability to make deals in future years.

Last edited: