Has the owner/GM changed his thinking?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've seen several comments about the owner not making coaching changes and using the 10 years with Garrett as the reasoning but is it just the opposite? He waited for it to come and it never did. His patience went unrewarded.

Has the fact that he's not getting any younger and a year closer to checking out every year affected his thinking about time and how much there is left to see another SB?

Some feel McC is safe but they pulled the trigger on Nolan after one year and now have two succession candidates on the staff and who thinks the owner won't pull a Garrett move with Kellen Moore?

I really do think we are seeing a new sense of urgency, an awareness of the clock that we've not seen before from him and I do not think that bodes well for McC. He needs a kickstart to this season or we could see the second HC replaced during the season.

The fans are impatient and last season was more embarrassing than a lot of losing seasons. So, the owner is impatient too.

And what do you think the players think? Who brought Nolan in last season and who allowed the defense to get turned inside out? Think there might also be some impatient players?

I think McC has a ticket on the 3:10 to Yuma that he is unaware of and if he starts off 1-3, that train pulls into the station and if he goes to 2-6, his ticket gets punched. I know, some feel not unless he's lost the team. At 2-5 or 6, he's lost the team and management. No GM pays a QB this much and assembles this O to go 2-5 or 6.

The other NFL owners have been getting more itchy trigger fingers with HC's every season and now I think this owner has joined their ranks.

McC better win or pack it in.
Could be
Don't you love the drama?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s difficult for YOU, not me! It’s football, a game, and I enjoy it! Have a good time with your hate, anger, nonstop speculation and angst! Most of us are chuckling at your impotence.
All because I called Jethro a narcissistic billionaire. No Cowboy fan I know would defend our frikin owner. We all hate him. Instead, you hate me for hating him. Wow

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything that would suggest that Jerry has changed.

The media is playing puppet master with Cowboys fans as usual to get click and views to profit off of Cowboys fans team loyalty and fan hate. However, any die hard Cowboys fan that follows every move the team makes is not fooled by such trickery.

And many fans buy it every single year. Jerry is older so he wants to win now? He was old a decade ago and didn't seem to want to win much then, unless it was "his" way. He still obviously thinks you can win a Super Bowl with the draft alone, so no...he hasn't changed his thinking. If anything, the last several years suggest he is less interested in winning.

ESisback

Reaction score
All because I called Jethro a narcissistic billionaire. No Cowboy fan I know would defend our frikin owner. We all hate him. Instead, you hate me for hating him. Wow
Don’t hate you, just think your hatred of Jerry consumes you to the point of chuckles and eye rolls. I’m not “defending” him! They’re ALL narcissistic billionaires, and I’m just as big of a Dallas fan as you or anyone else!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Some good thoughts you've brought up here, Couch Coach. Perhaps you've come up with something about Jerry that possibly rings true. Jerry's former experience with Jared Garrett should, indeed, have taught him something. His over-extended patience with JG ended up being an endless exercise in futility, to be sure. MM might be due to prove himself this year.

Hopefully, Jerry will come to grips with the idea that there's more than endless patience with an HC that's a secret to success. Is he desperate enough at this late stage of his life to change? Perhaps we're about to discover if that's really the case or not. I'm wondering if both Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy both fit into that scenario. Could Bob McAdoo be on deck as our next OC? Just food for thought. o_O

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think McC has a ticket on the 3:10 to Yuma that he is unaware of and if he starts off 1-3, that train pulls into the station and if he goes to 2-6, his ticket gets punched. I know, some feel not unless he's lost the team. At 2-5 or 6, he's lost the team and management. No GM pays a QB this much and assembles this O to go 2-5 or 6.
I dont think they will do that poorly, you went 8 games out, so I say 4-4 is the worst they will be at that point.
It would also depend on the why's of why they did so poorly, and how close were the games.
I will say that 6-2 is the best they will be after 8 games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t hate you, just think your hatred of Jerry consumes you to the point of chuckles and eye rolls. I’m not “defending” him! They’re ALL narcissistic billionaires, and I’m just as big of a Dallas fan as you or anyone else!
We don’t know if all the owners are narcissistic billionaires. That would be assuming all billionaires are narcissist.

That reply is an attempt to defend our owner softening the blow.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What’s laughable is some fans thought the hiring of a HC like McCarthy meant Jethro was delegating more. But he’s just another Puppet.

Couple things: MM has more power than Garrett. That was clear from the start as he was allowed to pick all his coaches. Coaches will always be UNDER Jerry. MM, however, is head and shoulders a better coach than the hapless Garrett.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well Mikey made some horrid calls as well. Just awful . Unlike we’d ever seen before.

The bigger question might be is would he have survived going 6-10 with Dak. Remember he was 1-3 with Dak.

Team definitely doesnt go 6-10 with Dak at QB. Lets not forget that under Dak we lost to 3 playoff teams and we were in all of those games until the very end.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Team definitely doesnt go 6-10 with Dak at QB. Lets not forget that under Dak we lost to 3 playoff teams and we were in all of those games until the very end.
I understand and agree but just saying, what if?

I wasn’t saying we would . That’s part of what we do here is speculate.

This thread was predicated on the possibility of going 2-6 with Dak which seems unlikely as well but again part of the speculative discussion.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I've seen several comments about the owner not making coaching changes and using the 10 years with Garrett as the reasoning but is it just the opposite? He waited for it to come and it never did. His patience went unrewarded.

Has the fact that he's not getting any younger and a year closer to checking out every year affected his thinking about time and how much there is left to see another SB?

Some feel McC is safe but they pulled the trigger on Nolan after one year and now have two succession candidates on the staff and who thinks the owner won't pull a Garrett move with Kellen Moore?

I really do think we are seeing a new sense of urgency, an awareness of the clock that we've not seen before from him and I do not think that bodes well for McC. He needs a kickstart to this season or we could see the second HC replaced during the season.

The fans are impatient and last season was more embarrassing than a lot of losing seasons. So, the owner is impatient too.

And what do you think the players think? Who brought Nolan in last season and who allowed the defense to get turned inside out? Think there might also be some impatient players?

The other NFL owners have been getting more itchy trigger fingers with HC's every season and now I think this owner has joined their ranks.

It's foolish to compare dumping Nolan after fielding the #31 defense in the league and Moore who when the offense especially Prescott was healthy they were the top offense in the league. I don't know if you have some agenda with Moore but I seriously doubt that the ice is that thin under his feet.

As far as your question about McCarthy, with a healthy offense that won't be what gets his ticket punched, it will be the defense if it doesn't make a lot of gains and if the defense forces the offense into shoot outs because the defense isn't getting the opponent's offense off the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Couple things: MM has more power than Garrett. That was clear from the start as he was allowed to pick all his coaches. Coaches will always be UNDER Jerry. MM, however, is head and shoulders a better coach than the hapless Garrett.
That’s not necessarily true. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but most critics would agree that Mikey being on board with Moore sealed the deal.

It’s yet to be determined if he’s a better HC than Garrett with the Cowboys. Or at least has better results. His record with the Packers would certainly present he has greater track record but the verdict here is still to be determined.

Those early decisions Mikey made ranked up there with some of the Gaffs made by Garrett.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I understand and agree but just saying, what if?

I wasn’t saying we would . That’s part of what we do here is speculate.

This thread was predicated on the possibility of going 2-6 with Dak which seems unlikely as well but again part of the speculative discussion.

We were actually 2-3 with Dak at QB. :thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s not necessarily true. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but most critics would agree that Mikey being on board with Moore sealed the deal.

It’s yet to be determined if he’s a better HC than Garrett with the Cowboys. Or at least has better results. His record with the Packers would certainly present he has greater track record but the verdict here is still to be determined.

Those early decisions Mikey made ranked up there with some of the Gaffs made by Garrett.

Its long been determined he is better. They both have over 10 years as a HC in the NFL. Garrett is as bad as it gets. Its why he hasnt gotten a head coaching job since.

MM was given the ability to pick his staff. Jerry said that point blank. Critics would be wrong then. I also doubt most of them would agree with your take.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its long been determined he is better. They both have over 10 years as a HC in the NFL. Garrett is as bad as it gets. Its why he hasnt gotten a head coaching job since.

MM was given the ability to pick his staff. Jerry said that point blank. Critics would be wrong then. I also doubt most of them would agree with your take.
Every fan and critic I’d trust would agree Jethro dictated Moore remaining. And the fact Mikey agreed sealed the deal quickly. Our owners word is last one I’d trust.

Garrett’s record wasn’t as bad as it gets. You might believe that and why continue repeating it but there’s actually many coaches including some this era with the Cowboys who have been much worse.

And despite Mikeys record coming in I’ll use his team record here as a comparison . So far this era there’s been greater coaching history coming in with no more success with the Cowboys than Garrett.

And it’s a little early to place a final analysis on Garrett’s coaching future. He’s only 2 years removed. Like most HC’s fired , released or not resigned they initially go back to Coordinators.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We were actually 2-3 with Dak at QB. :thumbup:
That was the official stat line because he started the 5th game.

It’s a speculative discussion you may not be interested in partaking with what if the Cowboys begin 2-6 to this year as the OP suggested . Would that place Mikey on the hot seat?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think Moore will sabotage MM like Garrett did with Wade.