Have the Cowboys ever drafted a player you really wanted?

cej757

Reaction score
The most recent pick and maybe the only player I ever really wanted this team to draft was Dez. I remember the day of the draft, I was thinking that Jerry has to find a way to trade up and get Dez somehow. I never thought he would've dropped that far where Jerry could trade up for him and not break the bank.

I mean I really never wanted any of the Tripleletts going into their drafts to be honest. I was cool when we drafted Michael Irvin, but I wanted Barry Sanders or Deion Sanders during the Aikman draft and I didn't know a lot about Emmitt back then. Just seems like the guys I really wanted Jerry to draft he passed on them.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Many. Even though I was wrong about several.

My football love affair with Tyron came to fruition though and I'm going to hold on to that for as long as I can!

You can't take that away from me! (obscure song reference for the youngin's)

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
I was very happy with the selection of all of the Triplets, especially Troy.

NJ22

Reaction score
Dez. Witten who i thought was a first rounder so was a steal in the 3rd. I did also think roy williams was the next ronnie lot. Had a few good years then began playing more like Ronnie Specter.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Not really a college football fan anymore so nothing recent is coming to mind. Probably the last guy I knew enough about at the time to say, "I hope they draft him" is Roy Williams.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I really became a fan and started paying attention and caring about the Cowboys in 2002. I'll just stick to the first round.

2002: Roy Williams was the pick that year and I didn't have the opportunity to care whether or not he was drafted but he became one of my favorite players.

2003: Terrance Newman - I was upset because I was young and stupid and wanted nothing but offensive play-makers. Really wanted Willis McGahee.

2004: Since I didn't get my wish with McGahee the previous year, I wanted Steven Jackson more than anything in the world...got Julius Jones...

2005: DeMarcus Ware seemed like an okay pick at the time, but again...I wanted offense. There were no worthy (at the time) RBs on the board when it came to the Spears pick, so I wanted Jason Campbell seeing how we were fielding a really old Drew Bledsoe as our QB.

2006: We got Bobby Carpenter... I really don't remember who I wanted, all I know is that it surely wasn't him and this isn't just hindsight speaking.

2007: With Terrell Owens now on the team and Romo emerging as a good QB, my obsession with offense died a bit so I was indifferent towards the Spencer pick

2008: I was okay with both Felix and Jenkins

2009: We actually had draft picks that year? What a disaster

2010: I'll admit it, I was very happy with the Dez Bryant pick, but a part of me wanted Tim Tebow.

2011: Was very happy about Tyron Smith

2012: I wanted Dontari Poe based on his freakishly insane combine numbers.

2013: In hindsight, I'm happy we got Travis Frederick, but I was hoping for Geno Smith. A young QB who could sit behind a veteran and learn...what a novel idea...

2014: Give up everything and anything needed to grab Johnny Manziel!

lwehlers

Reaction score
I also wanted dez and I also wanted Claiborne because I thought then that he was a shutdown corner. now after two years Claiborne is a bust first round pick. I really hope he can stay healthy and be the player I hope he can be. there still time for him to turn it around the third year is when the great players start to show their potential. dez is everything I wanted him be so far.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I wanted Aikman, so much so that I think the final game in '88 was the first and only time I actually wanted us to lose.

Also really wanted Irvin in '88. In '90 I knew Emmitt was expected to slide some but still didn't think we'd be able to get him so he really wasn't on my radar that year.
Wanted either Harper or Herman Moore in '91. Wanted and got Kevin Smith in '92.

After that, it was years and years until we got someone I was really hoping for. I did want Roy Williams in '02. Also wanted Ware in '05 and Dez in '10. In '11 I was torn between Tyron and Nick Fairley. Ended up good with Tyron.

But man were there years where there were guys I wanted that actually were available when we picked and we took someone else or traded down. Notables are: Tony Brackens in '96 / Randy Moss '98 / Stephen Jackson '04 and anyone but Quincy in '01. Also several trades I hated at the time that cost us our 1st round pick: Joey Galloway / WR Roy Williams and even moving up for Claiborne. Just a ton of horrible picks and trades from '94 - present.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I really liked E. Smith coming out of college and wanted the team to select him and of course we all know what happened.

T. Smith is another guy I wanted and team selected him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jason Witten out of Tennessee. Read all the mock drafts and he kept getting mentioned. Thought he was steal.

Forgot about him. Got a tad upset we didn't get him in the second. Was very happy when he was still there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There has been a few, actually quite a few, but overall, I know the chances of the Cowboys actually getting a pet cat is so slim I try not to get caught up in all of that kind of stuff. If it happens it happens.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett

Michael Irvin

Emmitt Smith

Dez Bryant

Troy Aikman

Roy Williams

Billy Cannon jr.

The Natural

Reaction score
AOA

Rapper-TI-Laughing1.gif

Someone here posted his highlight tape before the draft and I was hooked! I did cartwheels when we selected him. My oh my how that turned out

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ironically the only player I ever really hoped we got way before the draft was Randy Moss. We know how that turned out. I remember wanting Rocket Ismail real bad but he went to Canada. So I don't have much luck getting players I want. When Dez fell into our laps, I was ecstatic but I never thought we had a chance to get him so I didn't allow myself to want him, if that makes sense. I watched Aikman in the Cotton Bowl because we were likely to get the first pick, but that was sort of anti-climatic.

Last edited: