Have the Cowboys ever drafted a player you really wanted?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Dorsett

Michael Irvin

Emmitt Smith

Dez Bryant

Troy Aikman

Roy Williams

Billy Cannon jr.

I forgot about Roy Williams. That highlight where he dived to get to the QB had me hooked. When we traded down to the 8th pick I almost passed out (so did he). I was happy we got him, but that didn't quite work out.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I usually have a couple of players in mind for the first round pick and am wrong half the time even then. The only player I ever got right to the exact spot and round was DE Hunndens "Peppi" Zellner.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Billy Cannon. Dorsett. Bob Hayes. Troy Aikman. Sean Lee.
I forgot about Roy Williams. That highlight where he dived to get to the QB had me hooked. When we traded down to the 8th pick I almost passed out (so did he). I was happy we got him, but that didn't quite work out.

the first 4 years it worked out great..

he was the most feared man in the league.

don't know what happened to him ..

his style of play is no longer allowed anymore anyways....

remdak

Reaction score
In 2000, when the 5th round rolled around, I really wanted them to pick Tom Brady.
Ok, I am full of it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Especially happy when the Cowboys chose two of my favorite players from my alma mater: Dorsett and Antonio Bryant. I really wanted the Cowboys to take Dez Bryant and never thought he would slide down to them.

I was screaming for the Cowboys to draft Randy Moss:( That was the player I really wanted. I was so mad, I didn't watch any more of that draft.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Dez, DeMarco, Claiborne(at least I am telling the truth), AOA, wanted Sheldon Richardson this past season but Fred and TWill are good but Richardson is a beast.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Was in college when we got Dez, bartending and got the text, looked up at the TV and Dez is crying in a Cowboys hat. No recollection of that night from that point furthur, I was partying like we won number 6.

For him to fall that far, Denver taking Thomas, the Pats trying to screw us with The Ravens, and him still end up coming home to Dallas. Was a blessing from the football Gods no doubt.

JPM

Reaction score
The two guys I really wanted were Roy ans Steven Jackson.

revospeed

Reaction score
I really wanted Dez, but I have been wrong before. I really wanted Toby Gerhart and Mike Williams. Oh and Brady Quinn, but lets forget about that.

coult44

Reaction score
I wanted Irvin, Dez, and Tyron. Mad that we missed Moss and Jackson , And I'll admit I wanted Roy and Mo.

Questfor6

Reaction score
I was a Dez homer from the first time I watched him play at OSU and remember when he got suspended saying to myself "man I hope Jerry gets him". I lost my voice when ESPN flashed we made that trade because I knew who the pick was then my phone blew up with texts because most of my buddies knew I had been calling that pick for 5 months

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I wrote Gil Brandt back when I was in middle school, pretending I was Danny Noonan. Let him know how much "I" wanted to be drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. That one might have been my fault.

I tried it again the next year as Tim Brown but Gil and Tex were on to me. I stopped after that.

Remember reading about Emmitt Smith in the front of Sports Illustrated when he was a high school RB and wanting us to draft him someday. When it actually happened years later, I swear I thought it was a sign from God.

Also wanted Herschel Walker and Chad Hennings, but those probably get an asterisk. Aikman, but that one was a no brainer. Steve Wisniewski, who we immediately traded. Jimmy Smith, Tony Hill (DE) and Kevin Harris, Kevin Williams, Godfrey Myles, Dexter Coakley, Michael Myers, Antonio Bryant, Nicky Sualua. Spears and Canty. Dez. Add another sucker for AOA. Doug Free.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eugene Lockhart. Growing up in Houston, I saw his highlights and wanted him to be a Cowboy.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Roy Williams and Dez.. That is the most recent.

The most boneheaded one that baffles me somewhat recently is not getting Steven Jackson. Dude wanted to play in Dallas, Was praying he would be in Dallas. That is the type of player I would want if he were available. And, he was..

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I wanted Dez and Tyron, but those are really the only 1st round picks I've been very satisfied with.