Have the Cowboys ever drafted a player you really wanted?

cej757

Reaction score
Wanted Roy Williams bad and was elated when we got him. Never wanted a player more than him.

Still might be the best college football player I have ever seen! He could literally take over a game as a safety, much like a Jordan or a Kobe. Amazing.

Does anyone have a clip of Roy Williams being drafted. That was one of the craziest things I've seen when every team started jumping Dallas to hand in their cards.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Eugene Lockhart. Growing up in Houston, I saw his highlights and wanted him to be a Cowboy.

the" hitting machine" was a great player for us ...unfortunately it was during our decline in the mid 80's.

rynochop

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clip of Roy Williams being drafted. That was one of the craziest things I've seen when every team started jumping Dallas to hand in their cards.

was that when they were messing around and they almost didnt draft anyone cause the clock ran out? dont remember the specifics, just remember this place almost had a meltdown...it was of course jerrys fault somehow...whatevs

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
A lot of Mo Claiborne denial in this thread. I was going nuts jumping on my couch in joy when the trade was made and Dallas picked him. I understand taking a corner that high and giving up a second round pick is not ideal but I thought the Boys would be set on one corner spot, ala a Champ Bailey, for the next 10 years after that. Still not giving up on Mo and I hope he can stay healthy in 2014 and produce.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The most recent pick and maybe the only player I ever really wanted this team to draft was Dez. I remember the day of the draft, I was thinking that Jerry has to find a way to trade up and get Dez somehow. I never thought he would've dropped that far where Jerry could trade up for him and not break the bank.

I mean I really never wanted any of the Tripleletts going into their drafts to be honest. I was cool when we drafted Michael Irvin, but I wanted Barry Sanders or Deion Sanders during the Aikman draft and I didn't know a lot about Emmitt back then. Just seems like the guys I really wanted Jerry to draft he passed on them.

Yes.

Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith.

mrmojo

Reaction score
How about players I never wanted to see in a Cowboys uniform? :D

• Rod Hill - No one had ever heard of him.
  • Kevin Brooks - His highlight film during the draft was play after play of him getting pancaked by o-linemen.
  • Larry Bethea - Not sure what they saw in him.
  • Danny Noonan - Looked like Randy White but played (in college) like Betty White.
  • Shante Carver - Never draft a player with a girl's name in the 1st round.
These 1st round draft picks and more were the beginning of the end for Gil Brandt and the Dallas dynasty.
Remember Monty "Big Game" Hunter and Aaaron Mitchell....

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Emphatic NO.

Actually I wanted Ware.

Other than Ware, every year our NFCeast division rivals take every player we seem to want on this board. Always happens. I was on the Aaron Williams hype train for a while..

Wood

Reaction score
Roy Williams the safety is who I really wanted and Dallas selected.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Dez and Witten.

Also as a homer pick I really wanted Danny Coale. Unfortunately that one didn't work out. If only we took Flowers over Jenkins as my homer pick years ago.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Remember Monty "Big Game" Hunter and Aaaron Mitchell....

You mean Monty "No Game" Hunter and AM/PM (lights are on when he hits you but it's nite-nite after) Mitchell? :D Yes, I remember them fondly. :p

mrmojo

Reaction score
You mean Monty "No Game" Hunter and AM/PM (lights are on when he hits you but it's nite-nite after) Mitchell? :D Yes, I remember them fondly. :p
LOL I forgot that was Mitchells nick name. I recently saw a highlight of, I believe, Roy Green running by Mitchell like he was standing in quicksand. Funny thing is they both wore #34.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
LOL I forgot that was Mitchells nick name. I recently saw a highlight of, I believe, Roy Green running by Mitchell like he was standing in quicksand. Funny thing is they both wore #34.

In fairness to Mitchell, Green made a lot of CBs looks silly including Everson Walls. That guy (Green) was a freak of an athlete!

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I was against drafting Dez even though I knew he was awesome and a stud and was surprised he fell so far and a few hours later I was thrilled but I felt we had other needs, I was kind of hoping for Devin McCourty if I remember correctly. The next year I wanted Quinn, Watt or Tyron Smith. They were taking right around the same time and we needed O-line desperately, Quinn was gone and I was getting excited about Watt but had no idea he would be this good. So I got one of my guys there.

I REALLY wanted Claiborne, he was my #1 target in the draft but I didn't think we'd have a shot so I was expecting Brockers and MAYBE Barron. I was thrilled with the trade up but honestly wanted Fletcher Cox when we moved up but i was beyond thrilled when they got him and yeah...didn't work out.

This past draft I wanted Sheldon Richardson. I thought Star and Floyd would be gone, turns out the latter two were gone and Floyd was just sitting there primed to be taken.

So Claiborne is the only guy they've taken that I knew I really wanted. Guys like Patrick Peterson, Burfict, honey badger, Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and Andy Dalton are guys that I remember really wanting too.