Have we supplied Dak with enough to be successful?

wssaustin

Reaction score
This year is the window, as we got a WR playing at an elite level in his last year of rookie contract, next season it is only going to get harder.
The Cowboys have provided him with a big-fat contract he wanted, what else does he want? Even if he wants more supporting cast, what CAN he get?
Both Cowboys and Dak himself were limited.

Dak and the Cowboys both know it is a business decision, win-or-loss record is secondary, unfortunately.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In the 90's whether we like to admit it or not, part of the reason our D was so good was because of the 7 minute drives with Emmitt pounding the rock.

We often ran out the clock on Offense vs our defense having to win the game at the end.

The question I think of, is not whether we have enough talent, it is whether the talent comes together and complements each other.

Big_D

Reaction score
By the time the playoffs arrived you could see the cracks. We looked awful against Buffalo. A young Miami team showed more poise than we did finding a way to win a tight game. Even against Washington in the season finale we were down 10-7 in the second quarter against a bad team playing with a lot of backups. Despite the fact we had the NFC East on the line. I said after that game we don’t look like a team that will go far.

No doubt, you can definitely see they were having problems down the stretch. Even though I din't expect to get manhandled by the Packers in a home playoff game. It was the usual stuff, can't stop the run, can't run the football, can't get off the field on 3rd down. etc. There were a lot of cracks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No doubt, you can definitely see they were having problems down the stretch. Even though I din't expect to get manhandled by the Packers in a home playoff game. It was the usual stuff, can't stop the run, can't run the football, can't get off the field on 3rd down. etc. There were a lot of cracks.
All the issues we saw in the butt whippings to AZ, SF and Buffalo reared their ugly head against GB in the playoffs. Any cracks you have usually become more exposed in postseason. I posted my concerns about the defense prior to the Packers game.

Mcsports

Reaction score
No team is perfect and great teams overcome their weaknesses. Great leaders lift their teams over adversity. That has not been the case with the QB or HC in Dallas for a very long time
That’s the bottom line. Dak wins and puts up numbers in the regular season but just 2-5 in postseason .

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Ray Charles could see this team lacks talent in a few positions. This isn't hard. Been the exact same way since the off season.
Ray Charles told me Dak could have the entire pro bowl on offense and lose in the first round of playoffs

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I still think 2016 was the most complete team Dak has had. Unfortunately he was a rookie and ran into Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs.
Unfortunately, I think the 2016 version of Dak was the most likely to win in the playoffs. That version of Dak had good instincts that have since been coached out of him, and he didn't know better that he shouldn't win. This version of dak has learned a lot of things and improved in a lot of ways, but I don't know if all of that holds more value than the instincts that he lost. When was the last time Dak had the "IT" factor?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of you just don’t let up. You refuse to give him an ounce of credit. :rolleyes: He completed almost 70% playing behind a make-shift OL most of the season. We only had our entire starting OL on the field for a few games and some of them didn’t play well. There were games where Dak was under constant pressure. Plus he didn’t have a consistent running game all season. He had some impressive numbers with what he had to deal with.
And he sucked in our playoff game. Again.

akcowboy22

Reaction score
Let the Center walk. Get a better center. Draft a real LB er, OL,RB,CB,DT. Hard to decide that before free agency, but hopefully they take care of that before the draft so we don’t have to draft for pos. Not really a Dak believer but it looks like that will be our guy. He should see a shrink, the guy has been thru a lot. Mom has passed, brother passed, plays for the Cowboys and the fans are savage for another SB, deer in the headlights in big games. Please seek some help.

Swagger

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the 2016 version of Dak was the most likely to win in the playoffs. That version of Dak had good instincts that have since been coached out of him, and he didn't know better that he shouldn't win. This version of dak has learned a lot of things and improved in a lot of ways, but I don't know if all of that holds more value than the instincts that he lost. When was the last time Dak had the "IT" factor?
Agree but most important he also had mobility.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I just posted about this. We have provided him enough to succeed which he has, but our lack of OC and a system designed for his skill set (whatever that is mind you, lol) has not helped his development 8 years later

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
All the issues we saw in the butt whippings to AZ, SF and Buffalo reared their ugly head against GB in the playoffs. Any cracks you have usually become more exposed in postseason. I posted my concerns about the defense prior to the Packers game.
They happen when we're putting up 40 on teams too

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
27-0 at one point. Defense was awful. Guess who was responsible for that 0 (and some of that 27)?!
He wasn’t the only one responsible. CeeDee was a no show early on. He and Dak weren’t in sync. Every game we started off down by 7 because of our defense we got blown out. The Packers plan was to punch us in the early and watch us fold.

Adreme

Reaction score
27-0 at one point. Defense was awful. Guess who was responsible for that 0 (and some of that 27)?!
Dak was awful the first half. Reminded me of a less bad version of what Trevor Lawrence did last year (Lawrence was far far worse). The difference is that while Dak was bad in the first half, the defense was bad the entire game. There was a point in that game, well before the 6 minute mark, where the Cowboys got it back within 2 scores and the defense needed one stop and suddenly we had a game on our hands but the defense could not make that stop at any point. When Lawrence threw 4 INTs last year and was down 28 at halftime, the defense actually stepped up in the second half and Lawrence played better. Meanwhile Dak played bad for most of the first half, got a late score and another score and suddenly we almost have a game and the defense could not stop anyone.

plasticman

Reaction score
78 quarterbacks threw at least one pass during the 2023 season. Five of them have won a Super Bowl.

Talent is only one component of a QB's environment. Coaching, health, gameplanning, consistency, team chemistry, discipline and even timing are other components.

There are so many other places within the organization in which the Cowboys must improve.