Head coach power rankings

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never understood why Payton gets so much love. He's not blatantly bad by any means, but everybody sees him as a top coach in the league. I guess we'll find out where he stands this year.
Exactly. He has had no more success than MM, probably slightly less. But yet fans and the media act as if he is prime Jimmy Johnson (our fans) and the media as if prime Bellichick.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
stats are only good when it's about the quarterback.

I'd take Mike as number one at eating at a buffet.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Of all the power rankings the head coach power rankings are the dumbest.

irishline

Reaction score
You can only ride the coattails of Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers so long before people catch on.
Payton rode the coattails of Brees his whole coaching career, has the same number of Super Bowls, similar winning percentage, 1 more losing season (with Brees), and ranked 4th. So not sure what people caught on with one but not the other.

Winning percentage without (Farve, Rodgers, or Brees):

Payton 9-8 .529
McCarthy 30-20 .667 (7 of his losses were his first year here without a starting QB).

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
This is the same as most rankings like the top 100 players etc. Basically something for fans to squabble about but means absolutely nothing.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Right.
Why is Bellichick #2. If he is basing on past success. Then MM should be much higher since he won a SB over many of the others.
That invalidates the list. But then it is a Mediot's opinion.
Interesting. Reid may go down as the greatest offensive mind in NFL history when he retires. Also, his coaching tree is far superior to Bellicheats. I have no issue with The Cheater or Reid as #1.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Belicheat at #2???

Exactly what has he done since TB12 left? His record is .500 and it should be making people question how good he really is in todays NFL.
Yep, Belichek should be sending Christmas cards to Brady every year for what he did to his coaching career. He was terrible in Cleveland, and then only got better with Brady at the helm in NE. Now we know who was doing the heavy lifting there.

mcmvp

Reaction score
This is awful.........MM and McDermott are way too low.
Agree on McDermott...and probably MM a little too. But the HC of the Cowboys is never going to rank high on a list like this...not until JJ moves on. He has it just the way he wants it.

plasticman

Reaction score
Yeah?

Well, MM is ranked 6th among all active HC's in winning percentage. That is significantly more meaningful to me.

He's ranked 5th in wins with 155. That is meaningful because it meant that he kept his jobs long enough to win that many games. That leads me to conclude that he is pretty good at what he does.

MM is one of only 8 active HC's to win a Super Bowl. Twelve of the guys ranked ahead of him have not yet achieved what they are hired to do. They have not won a Super Bowl. If they eventually win, then they get to keep their job a little longer.

If the Cowboys win a Super Bowl then MM will make history. He will be the first HC to win a Super Bowl with two different teams

The current Cowboys HC is tied for 3rd place among active HC's in playoff wins. He is tied for 5th place among active HC's in average division rank. That is, where they place in their division at end of the season. He is tied with Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, Sean McVay, and Bill Belicek.

Of, course, that's nothing compared to some journalist's opinion, represented by a cool looking chart.

I could have picked out their names from a hat and constructed a better "power" ranking.