Twitter: Helman: 3QBs, 4RBs, 6WRs, 3TEs, 8OLs, 9DL, 7LBs, 10DBs, 3S

Kaiser

Reaction score
Only fourth I see at this point might be Marqueston Huff, but only if no one else emerges.

Out of the UDFA's, I actually like Kam Kelly moving to FS more than Huff but I haven't seen the Minicamp plays obviously. I just don't see the projection that our 5th Safety kicks a guy like Gregory or Tapper off the roster.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
What about Joe Thomas? Not good twitch but good strength and is fast enough on passing downs.
As crazy as it sounds, Joe Thomas was EASILY the Packers' best ILB the past two years (whenever he wasn't injured), and they play a 3-4.

The problem is, their ILB rotation is absolutely horrible. Green Bay has stated numerous times that that is a position they believe in sacrificing, as long as the DL, pass rush and offense around Rodgers stay quality. The rest of their ILBs include no-name cast offs like Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Kyler Fackrell, Vince Biegel... who are these guys?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they'll keep 6, but that's stretching it based on the talent. It's certainly not worth going 7 and cutting productive pass rushers.

They typical keep 6 LB's. Last year they went with 7, as Hitchens was injured, but they did not put him on IR. And Jaylon was forced to play more than I believe they wanted to at first. Which tells us about the LB depth. Which has always been an issue they never address. Same for S & DT as well.

Anyway, if all are healthy I expect them to keep 6.
Lee, Smith, LVE, Wilson, Thomas.
With the 6th spot going to Covington, JML, or even Tre'Von Johnson. Who knows , this Pinkins guy may surprise. Or a combination of 2 of these, therefore knocking Wilson off the roster.

But yes, LB depth could be an issue again. Other than Lee, Jaylon and LVE, I bet many would have a hard time naming a few more.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Who's that 7th linebacker we can't do without? Compared to only keeping 5 defensive ends?
My LBs

Lee, Jaylon, Leighton, Thomas, Wilson, Covington/Quiero

I expect Gregory to be back but I agree, much more talent at DE

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They typical keep 6 LB's. Last year they went with 7, as Hitchens was injured, but they did not put him on IR. And Jaylon was forced to play more than I believe they wanted to at first. Which tells us about the LB depth. Which has always been an issue they never address. Same for S & DT as well.

Anyway, if all are healthy I expect them to keep 6.
Lee, Smith, LVE, Wilson, Thomas.
With the 6th spot going to Covington, JML, or even Tre'Von Johnson. Who knows , this Pinkins guy may surprise. Or a combination of 2 of these, therefore knocking Wilson off the roster.

But yes, LB depth could be an issue again. Other than Lee, Jaylon and LVE, I bet many would have a hard time naming a few more.
With Quiero moving to LB I expect him to make some noise as well

Plankton

Reaction score
QB (3) – Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

RB (4) – Ezekiel Elliott, Rod Smith, Jamize Olawale, Tavon Austin

WR (6) – Allen Hurns, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Michael Gallup, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown

TE (3) – Blake Jarwin, Geoff Swaim, Dalton Schultz

OL (8) – Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Cameron Fleming, Joe Looney, Marcus Martin

DL (10) – DeMarcus Lawrence, Maliek Collins, Brian Price, Tyrone Crawford, Taco Charlton, Datone Jones, Dorance Armstrong, Kony Ealy, Randy Gregory, Jihad Ward, David Irving (suspended)

LB (6) – Sean Lee, Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith, Damien Wilson, Joe Thomas, Chris Covington

DB (10) – Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones, Jeff Heath, Xavier Woods, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Kavon Frazier, Marquez White, Marqueston Huff, Kameron Kelly

ST (3) – Dan Bailey, Chris Jones, L.P. Ladouceur

PS Candidates – Cedrick Wilson, Bo Scarbrough, Daniel Ross, Lance Lenoir, Joel Lanning, David Wells, Tyree Robinson, Austin Larkin, Charvarius Ward

I think Duke Thomas doesn’t make it because the passing game coordinator favors bigger bodied corners, and Kelly/White will get better consideration due to that factor.

Covington, if he shows anything on special teams, will get the nod over March-Lilliard due to being a draft pick.

I have Gregory being on the roster – I think he gets reinstated for the start of the season. Ash gets bumped by Ward. When Irving is scheduled to be reinstated, it will be between Ealy and Datone Jones as to who gets released. If Ealy shows anything as a 3T, he will get the edge.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
10 D-linemen

Ash
Price
Collins
Ward
Crawford
Datone Jones
Tank
Taco
Ealy
Armstrong

And I'm not counting on Gregory OR Irving, neither are reliable. We don't even know how Collins foot is coming along yet. Tappers last shot at anything wit a star on his helmet

Kaiser

Reaction score
DB (10) – Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones, Jeff Heath, Xavier Woods, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Kavon Frazier, Marquez White, Marqueston Huff, Kameron Kelly

Great post. My tweaks would be Scarbrough as the 4th RB and a Veteran Safety picked up from the late cuts or a minor trade instead of Huff. And in an unpopular opinion, Chaz Green over Martin.

I can easily see Tapper over Ealy though and I won't shed any tears if TWill is suspended/IR'ed with Lance Lenoir taking that spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is your fascination with March-Lillard? You introduced him to this conversation and he may or may not even be a roster possibility. I just went along with the argument as he seemed to fit the bill as a ST-heavy LB in the Wilber mold. Which has more value to this team than a 6th DE who will never see the field.

Because as of now, he's your guy. He's that key 7th linebacker you think they can't live without. And you began the conversation by trying to talk him up. Until you realize that he's never actually done anything. It's been backpedal since.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Because as of now, he's your guy. He's that key 7th linebacker you think they can't live without. And you began the conversation by trying to talk him up. Until you realize that he's never actually done anything. It's been backpedal since.
Never talked him up as much as I revealed the flaw in hitching your wagon to Ealy and Gregory without seeing either in TC or preseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never talked him up as much as I revealed the flaw in hitching your wagon to Ealy and Gregory without seeing either in TC or preseason.

Compared to the much bigger flaw in thinking you need 'some 7th linebacker.'

You sure tried to talk him up initially, and then looked to see exactly who and what you were taking up for. And then the tune markedly changed.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Compared to the much bigger flaw in thinking you need 'some 7th linebacker.'

You sure tried to talk him up initially, and then looked to see exactly who and what you were taking up for. And then the tune markedly changed.
In your mind I tried to talk the guy up. Seriously, you're reaching on this argument. We need a good ST player over a 6th DE, I'll leave it at that. Which was my original point BEFORE you brought up March-Lillard

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In your mind I tried to talk the guy up. Seriously, you're reaching on this argument. We need a good ST player over a 6th DE, I'll leave it at that. Which was my original point BEFORE you brought up March-Lillard

Then your point is wrong. Let the three non-starting linebackers play special teams. I'm not cutting a talented pass rusher to keep a special teams scrub.

I'll leave it at that too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Pretty much agree but only go 2QBs but 10DLs

so that probably breaks down this way

QB - Dak, Rush, White
RB - Zeke, Smith, Olawale, Jackson
WR - Hurns, Beasley, Austin, Williams, Gallop, Thompson
TE - Blake, Geoff, Rico
OL - Smith, Williams, Fredrick, Martin, Collins, Fleming, Edwards, Green
K - Baily
DL - Chico, Crawford, Lawrence, Collings, Ward, Armstrong, Ealy, Price, Jones
LB - Lee, VEsch, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, Covington, Lanning,
DB - Jones, Brown, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Frazier, Heath, Thomas, Kelly, White
P - Jones
LS - LaDoucer

PS - Schultz, Scarborogh, Robinson, Wilson,

although I would venture to say we keep one less DB (since jones can play safety and slot if necessary). and we keep Schultz as 4th TE.

the questions is who goes once Irvin is activated.