Twitter: Helman's Top 4 Rookies at Camp

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dinucci....are we caught up on the name? When as he shined in camp? I'm such a short camp, he will probably be a cut simply because he does not get the opportunity to show his wares. Most snaps go to Dak and the back up. I just don't see a late round pick on the active roster.
doesnt matter. This staff didnt draft him just to lose him on the PS. What logic does that make? MM wants him here and he will be on the active. I keep going back to Tom Brady...I bet he looked average in camp too.Drew Bledsoe got the reps. Its easy to say that when the starter gets all the reps in camp. Look at Trent Green in St. Louis back in the late 90's. He got all the reps in Camp and a guy named Kurt Warner didnt get much. NO ONE KNEW WHO HE WAS. He was bagging groceries! So lets trust the plan a little before we assume he's gonna be tossed away.

Plankton

Reaction score
was Drew Pearson Drafted? I'm askin for a friend.

No. Was a UDFA in 1973. When he signed with the Cowboys, he was working at UPS on the side to make money. He began working out with Roger Staubach at the Cowboys training facility, and they hit it off. Staubach wanted to keep throwing to him on one occasion, and Pearson told him that he had to leave to go to his job. Staubach then reached out to Gil Brandt to ask him to give Pearson a larger bonus, because he was a keeper who wanted to work. Brandt did, Pearson quit his UPS job, and the rest is history.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anae will shock. Dude will start. I think Diggs will also start.
I'm a fan of the pick (Anae) but he is not going to be a starter anytime soon unless it's due to injuries or if he starts due to the 1st snap being some type of sub package.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because many teams wanted him after the draft and Dallas paid him alot as an UDFA. We had to outbid many teams. The kid has tools galore. Thats why. He has a high ceiling.We are lucky to have him and MM knows it.
He was a draft pick, not a udfa...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes I know. Many wanted him still. The minute we stick him on the PS he's gone.

Yes, but that's because he was a draft pick.

If he had been a udfa like your original post indicated, then the likelihood of him being claimed would be very low.

If other teams really like a udfa, they'll normally find a way to sign that player from the beginning.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yes, but that's because he was a draft pick.

If he had been a udfa like your original post indicated, then the likelihood of him being claimed would be very low.

If other teams really like a udfa, they'll normally find a way to sign that player from the beginning.
strongly disagree

Rayman70

Reaction score
No. Was a UDFA in 1973. When he signed with the Cowboys, he was working at UPS on the side to make money. He began working out with Roger Staubach at the Cowboys training facility, and they hit it off. Staubach wanted to keep throwing to him on one occasion, and Pearson told him that he had to leave to go to his job. Staubach then reached out to Gil Brandt to ask him to give Pearson a larger bonus, because he was a keeper who wanted to work. Brandt did, Pearson quit his UPS job, and the rest is history.
THANKS...its a great success story. Much like Kurt Warner and Tony Romo, Tom Brady and many others. I kinda already knew some of the history on Drew, but I wanted to make a point. Point is, it dont matter where you come from..if you can play, YOU CAN STAY. Draft status should NEVER factor in.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Ben D. can show promise, he will be here and not on the PS.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Can Helman see over the reporters in front of him?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Trying to move Romo to the practice squad would have been a huge mistake. So if they like DiNucci as much as they appear then I think he's on the 53. Sounds like he's been extremely accurate in camp despite the limited reps.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
its actually a fact. Lots of players not drafted highly, or drafted at all become starters. That is fact. Who's to say a guy like Anae,or even Denucci won't pan out or start? If you already know that, and can see into the future, you should call the scouting dept my friend. Draft status isn't the end all be all litmus test. Sometimes its what can't be measured that matters most.

"7th round pick are just as likely to be good as 1st round picks."

fansince68

Reaction score
doesnt matter. This staff didnt draft him just to lose him on the PS. What logic does that make? MM wants him here and he will be on the active. I keep going back to Tom Brady...I bet he looked average in camp too.Drew Bledsoe got the reps. Its easy to say that when the starter gets all the reps in camp. Look at Trent Green in St. Louis back in the late 90's. He got all the reps in Camp and a guy named Kurt Warner didnt get much. NO ONE KNEW WHO HE WAS. He was bagging groceries! So lets trust the plan a little before we assume he's gonna be tossed away.
He is a 7th round pick. I suspect he will be safe on the practice squad. But there is no way he makes the "active" roster to keep him from being poached. He will hold a clip board till cut time.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He is a 7th round pick. I suspect he will be safe on the practice squad. But there is no way he makes the "active" roster to keep him from being poached. He will hold a clip board till cut time.
fair assessment, but I am telling you guys, if he is stashed on the PS, he wont be here. Thats a bad mistake. QB position is unlike any other position. Its unique. MM really likes him and wants him near Dak and the staff to learn.

Wood

Reaction score
Trying to move Romo to the practice squad would have been a huge mistake. So if they like DiNucci as much as they appear then I think he's on the 53. Sounds like he's been extremely accurate in camp despite the limited reps.

DiNucci arm strength has surprised me. He flicked pass 30 yards down field (barely moved) that was on line to receiver running crossing pattern. I am dreaming on what McCarthy can do with him over next few years.

fansince68

Reaction score
fair assessment, but I am telling you guys, if he is stashed on the PS, he wont be here. Thats a bad mistake. QB position is unlike any other position. Its unique. MM really likes him and wants him near Dak and the staff to learn.
What makes you feel that MM really likes him? His selection in round 7? Because of all the reps he's getting in training camp? We hear about CD, Diggs, Hill all through camp. Guess why we are not hearing anything about Denucci? Because he is holding a clip board getting occasional snaps with the 5th team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
What makes you feel that MM really likes him? His selection in round 7? Because of all the reps he's getting in training camp? We hear about CD, Diggs, Hill all through camp. Guess why we are not hearing anything about Denucci? Because he is holding a clip board getting occasional snaps with the 5th team.
Do you watch any of the stuff on the Cowboys site?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yep and if we stick him on the PS he will be gone within a week.
I believe that we can protect x amount of players on the PS squad now, so if he does go there, I'm sure he would be one of the protected.