Henry vs Zeke

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think he just popped up this season then you aren’t paying attention to football.
Oh, you think people were upset we didn’t pass on Zeke and wait for Henry while Henry was putting up 490 rushing yards his first season and 744 yards his 2nd season? By the way, how were the Cowboys supposed to be sure Henry would even be available when they picked in the 2nd round?

Fact is, nobody thought Henry was a good alternative to Zeke until this year - year 4 - and the idea that we could have had Henry if we passed on Zeke is the same kind of hindsight talk.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think we’d need to have waited 4 years. Titans didn’t have the OL and offense we did . Plus they just traded for Murray as well. Completely different circumstances.
Ehh...Titans have had a very good offensive line. It’s debatable who’s better but the Titans have had a very good offensive line for some years now it just doesn’t get the notoriety the Cowboys do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh, you think people were upset we didn’t pass on Zeke and wait for Henry while Henry was putting up 490 rushing yards his first season and 744 yards his 2nd season.

By the way, how were the Cowboys supposed to be sure Henry would even be available when they picked in the 2nd round.

Fact is, nobody thought Henry was a good alternative to Zeke until this year - year 4 - and the idea that we could have had Henry if we passed on Zeke is the same kind of hindsight talk.
Wel that’s another thing. Henry was considered a late first early 2nd round guy. You can’t just guess you can get your back later on.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Oh, you think people were upset we didn’t pass on Zeke and wait for Henry while Henry was putting up 490 rushing yards his first season and 744 yards his 2nd season.

By the way, how were the Cowboys supposed to be sure Henry would even be available when they picked in the 2nd round.

My argument isn’t about Zeke vs. Henry. Obviously, there’s no way to guarantee Henry would have been there in an alternative universe. That may be the argument of others but it ain’t mine.

The point remains though, if you think Henry just popped up on the scene in year 4 then haven’t been paying attention.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Good point. So that argument is flawed saying he plays all the snaps lol. Guess the box score doesn’t have snaps on there lol.

Yep 21 less snaps than Zeke per game, and he apparently never comes off the field? That's a lot and maybe something the new coaching needs to think about with integrating Pollard in.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yep. He and Dion Lewis who they face decent money too if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah, so to act as if money doesn’t play a factor into playing time is naive.

Henry, as a rookie split time with a proven vet (Murray) that they were paying $6M+.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well as proof by what we’ve seen? No we wouldn’t have because Henry didn’t become Henry until year 4.....now it’s time for a new deal. So no.....I don’t think this team or Romo he’d 4 years to wait for Henry to shed the weight and become the back he is today.
Shed weight to become the back he is today. He's always been the same back. He was just limited in action primarily due to Murray being the featured back. He would have started here in 2016 and would have been very effective. Probably more so than Zeke, because Henry is much more effective in the open field than Zeke is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, so to act as if money doesn’t play a factor into playing time is naive.

Henry, as a rookie split time with a proven vet (Murray) that they were paying $6M+.
You know that’s not the case. No team is sitting a stud because of salary. He was on the bench because Demarco was better than him until he wasn’t.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My argument isn’t about Zeke vs. Henry. Obviously, there’s no way to guarantee Henry would have been there in an alternative universe. That may be the argument of others but it ain’t mine.

The point remains though, if you think Henry just popped up on the scene in year 4 then haven’t been paying attention.
The OP was about how we could have passed on Zeke and got Henry later. That was the context of my comment.

As for whether Henry just popped on the scene in year 4, of course in some context that’s not true, but as a quality alternative to Zeke it is very much true.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Shed weight to become the back he is today. He's always been the same back. He was just limited in action primarily due to Murray being the featured back. He would have started here in 2016 and would have been very effective. Probably more so than Zeke, because Henry is much more effective in the open field than Zeke is.
No. He’s a lot faster and shiftier now with the weight loss. Go look at his tape now and back when he entered the league.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Henry is better. Just accept it.
Even if that’s true, which is not at all certain, so what? Nobody was saying that before the draft. Or a year after the draft, or 2 years after the draft, or three years after the draft. Saying it today is hindsight, and not even assured to be true since it is just one season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Plus everyone forgets he started his career playing behind Demarco Murray who had a 1300 yard rushing season Henry's first year in the league, he didn't get alot of touches. I thought Zeke was the better back coming out of college as of now i think i was wrong in that assessment
I think Zeke was the better back coming out of college. I don't think you were wrong in the assessment. What I believe happened is that Zeke has relied on his natural ability instead of work ethic and he peaked his rookie year. Derrick Henry is known for his work ethic and I believe it's enabled him to become a better back than Zeke.