Video: Herd: Does Amari Cooper trade take pressure off Dak Prescott?

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think that JJ will tell JG that Cooper needs to be targeted 10 or more times a game. He'll do this to justify trading the 1st round pick for him, they'll be no more "I just throw to the open guy" even when Amari is single covered. In this offense you have to have a number 1 wr that need safety help, if not it will stagnate the running game like it has so far. Additionally, the qb must purposely throw him the ball to make the defense respect him. It's going to be interesting how this plays out for the rest of this season.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did he just call Dak a franchise quarterback? Interesting.

jday

Reaction score
Excellent perspective. He's right about Cooper not needing to completely blow up the offense. Just the subtle changes in the offense should be enough...... as long as the play calling takes advantage.
That was the part that stood out to me as well. Being a run first team, we can't use other receivers as a benchmark. The scoreboard will ultimately decide if he was worth the cost.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent perspective. He's right about Cooper not needing to completely blow up the offense. Just the subtle changes in the offense should be enough...... as long as the play calling takes advantage.

I agree. But I think they're going to have to prove it to opposing defenses. They're going to have to make some teams pay and show them that he is a weapon that they team can and will use. Until that happens, I think it's a lot of talk and that nothing changes. They're going to need to get him involved early, just to show that this isn't the same offense, and that if you try to play them the same way defensively, you'll get burned. But until they do that, I think opponents will keep playing them the same way they have been.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I think what you will see is Zeke getting those 100+yd games. All because of Cooper presence. The pressure will ease off Dak because of good 1st & 2nd down yardage. Cooper will have to be accounted for all the time.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree. But I think they're going to have to prove it to opposing defenses. They're going to have to make some teams pay and show them that he is a weapon that they team can and will use. Until that happens, I think it's a lot of talk and that nothing changes. They're going to need to get him involved early, just to show that this isn't the same offense, and that if you try to play them the same way defensively, you'll get burned. But until they do that, I think opponents will keep playing them the same way they have been.
Agreed. That's part of what I meant by the play calling taking advantage....along with calling plays that would work because of the more spread out defense.

gmoney112

Reaction score
A whole draft?! So it was more than a 1st?
I need details- stats!!!

Gotta hit on 1st rounders. Those are the backbone of your team. Look at our squad the last 5-6 years if we take out the 1st rounders.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Gotta hit on 1st rounders. Those are the backbone of your team. Look at our squad the last 5-6 years if we take out the 1st rounders.
I asked for details and you give me conjecture...
Did this team truly ruin it's whole draft, or what?

Also discounting this kid becoming a backbone of the team already?