News: Herd: Jimmy Johnson reacts to Cowboys' Week 1 loss

DFWJC

Reaction score
Maybe if Jimmy says it people will listen.

You get called a lot of things on this forum for pointing out what Dak is as a player and how he isn’t worth the deal he wants.

Dak is a good solid QB but paying him that kind of money will destroy our Super Bowl chances and this game is about winning the Super Bowl.

If Andy Dalton was the QB of this team you aren’t seeing a massive drop off at the position.
And Jimmy is a Dak supporter.
He's just calling as he sees it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
While this is true Dak was #1 in QBR this week, but he was also leading in that last year and losing the same one position games by 7 points or less. He was actually near dead last in games won in that scenario, something has to give here.
He was 5th in PFF, 9th in QBR.
Again, you can blame a QB for every loss if you are brain dead.
Or you can fix the actual problems like the 3rd worst OL performance. The bottom 5 LB performance.
The TE dropping 2 balls.
The coach failing to tie the game when he could.

I'm not sure who needs to hear this but Dak was easily your highest graded Cowboy Sunday.
It is no more his fault the team lost than it is Zeke's.
The Defense allowed a zillion plays and the offense could not block at all.

It is scary because La'el is out a couple more games and they don't have a TE on the roster that can catch.
They might need to totally change the offense to just not play TE except for short yardage.
Defensively, LVE is down for the count possibly for ever and Jaylon looked basura at Will which makes sense given it is a movement/speed LB position.

This team has real problems and we are going to find out how good Mike McCartty is real quick with this early stretch.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Jimmy nailed it! Dak needs everything around him perfect. It has to be a one or two read offense. Dak cannot just drop back and survey the field.
Or he can snap the ball and fire to a predetermined place like Goff does , if its possible we should have designed a game plan around that , which will avoid our slow starts.

pitt33

Reaction score
You must be a younger fan because Troy was an incredible QB and DEADLY accurate. Deadly. Yes he flourished in a structured, timing offense (with no rain) but he was so good, especially in big games. Dak isnt even close (and Im not a Dak hater). Dak holds the ball way too long and has to wait until someone gets open, stop and turn around before he throws. No anticipation at all. Is he good for a 4th rounder? Sure. Sometimes he makes great plays. But he isnt a $35/.40M QB and no where near Aikman. And to those that criticized Troys toughness or even passing yards, watch the first drive of the Cowboys/Eagles game in, I think, 93, thats on youtube. Legendary D in Philly with Brown and White and Dallas cut right through them. But, I think I counted what would be 5-6 personal fouls in todays league on the Ealges. Troy playing in todays rules would have put up huge numbers and played for 18 years.
some great stuff here.

Aikman had an absolute cannon for an arm and pinpoint accuracy to go with it.

I remember John Madden saying during the 94' championship game when he hit Harper on that slant for the td and he stated that he had never seen a more accurate passer. And he should know a thing or two.

I also believe some of our members look at Aikman's somewhat low passing numbers and judge off of that. He was the overall #1 draft pick for a reason and lived up to every bit of that draft position.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think the smartest thing was to franchise him. If he can't lead this team on a deep playoff run hows he going to perform when he gets a huge contract and we can't afford any other talent around him?

He has alot of talent around him. There are no excuses.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Until Johnson gives Prescott a compliment, then he doesn't know anything.

lockster

Reaction score
I've been saying that Dak is slow processing the field (compared to his predecessor) for a number of years now. He's not seeing those small open windows that a very good to elite QB is be able to see.
Exactly, mentally, he can't process at the speed required in the NFL.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Or he can snap the ball and fire to a predetermined place like Goff does , if its possible we should have designed a game plan around that , which will avoid our slow starts.
That could work except he isn't as accurate. The offense the Cowboys ran the other night sure looked exactly the same as last year. Zeke looked fitter and Lamb more throws than Gallup which I think is a mistake at this point in the season.

bigE79

Reaction score
Really?

Tony Romo played in this same offense and he didnt play anything like Dak does. He didnt just take what the defense gave him he would attack the middle of the field.

Why the difference?
The difference is he is nowhere as good as tony was.

bigE79

Reaction score
Jimmy said Dak was a good QB. As usual anyone who offers up any criticism here come the Homers to defend.

Like they know better than Jimmy. Give me a break.

They’ll even bash Jimmy and Troy to defend their boy. C’mon Man
Watch out man, they'll be showing you some stats soon,lol

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is right, The chemistry is not their. This offensive line is not rigged to make a QB like Dak thrive. Its missing key elements. A total healthy Smith, loss of Fred and now Collins even Zack is getting sore now. All these players really need to be in place and at their best health to let Dak thrive with this offense.

Dak is good but he needs the right offensive line in place to give a QB with his style time and room.

Careful "their" my friend. People will discount you for making a small error in spelling/grammar.

Even though...spelling and grammar errors happen in all manner of professional literature and academic papers. But because it's an internet message board...you are gonna get totally jacked.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not what Immy said.

He used a comparison with Innie Testaverde and said the offense needs precision. Not perfection.
Does Myhomes have "precision"? Does Ro(d)gers have it?

What team has full "precision". I am asking cause I don;t know...not because I'm trapping you.

willia451

Reaction score
If both of those people in that video died tomorrow the world would be better off.

You can throw in Jerry Jones as well.

khiladi

Reaction score
LOL..

Jimmy Johnson basically said what everybody that criticized Dak, including Witten when he was a broadcaster. Dak is basically a 1 read QB. He can throw when he knows where he is going, meaning you need to completely scheme for him. But when he needs to anticipate, it’s taking the safe checkdown.

There is a reason both he and Goff had the highest drop-off on rating when going from first read to second read, when Mahomes and Brees were 1 and 2 in 2019.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rolling out a QB limits the offense to half the field, making it easier for the defense...