CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m pretty much over it already because I expected this we have a qb that once again came up small in big moments it’s been that way for 20 years
Dak can win in this league if everything is right but he processes to slow at times. Last night was bad Dak the week before was good Dak you just don’t know what you’re gonna get

Our best offensive weapon went down in first half in first half and no one else stepped up.
Big time players make plays so I’m not pinning this all on Dak . Diggs has to make that pick. Diggs also has to put the wood to kittle and he unlikely don’t make that circus catch
I’m not a Super Bowl or bust fan so it was a good season for me. I’m now a Cincinnati fan

We’ll see if Jerry who in my opinion is the biggest reason for the Super Bowl drought really wants to win in april and may

Grevus

Reaction score
Defense played well enough to win this game. The Offense is the problem here. Poor play selection. Too pred
I am going to have to disagree with you a bit. The Cowboys were good enough to win this game. The teams were pretty evenly matched.

Losing Pollard and the rookie TE hurt quite a bit. But the reason we lost this game was Dak Prescott. Pure and simple. Dak was reason #1 why we lost.

There were other contributing factors (including the officials in the second half) in us losing the game, but if Dak played even reasonably well, we win this game most of the time the way the defense played.

By the way…the defense didn’t just suddenly get bad in the second half, they got some legit help from the officials on a couple of drives.
Yes, Dak was a big part of it, but I blame KM as well. The play selection is terrible. I'm so sick of the stop routes or the come back routes. How about a slant over the middle once in a while. What did SF do to us with success?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but Dak is just football dumb. You have someone who is often uncertain of himself, trying to play like he is certain and confident. He is trying to even fool himself.
He can pretend to be confident in his abilities, but he isn't.

He is like a child walking into a haunted house at Halloween, trying to convince themselves they aren't afraid, and trying to act like they aren't to everyone else.
Same thing with him...

The look on his face when he was walking off the field on one of the interceptions, put a spotlight on that.

He isn't the guy... 7 seasons, and he still goes back to stupid mechanics, and 2 of the dumbest interceptions, not counting some of the other dumb ones this season.

It's a passing league, and Dak is not a QB you can count on against top defenses, no matter who we have at receiver.

They should have never moved on from Amari Cooper for this season though.
Because defenses gave Amari a lot of attention. Now that attention is on Lamb.
But that wouldn't have saved Dak anyway. Because the film showed how much
Amari was open last season, and Dak didn't even look.

No matter how much some people like Dak, and think he is a great guy... He just isn't it.
Yeah I think you'll find that Cooper was getting frustrated with Dak so he had to go.
Sadly any good receiver with an ego is going to get fed up with Dak, you can see TY Hilton starting to crack.

JJ1986

Reaction score
Did Jerry Jones honestly think this team had a chance this year to make a deep playoff run? I have noticed that he doesn’t talk about going to the Super Bowl anymore. I agree that SF is better and would have played better with a better QB. Did y’all really want to see Dak in the Super Bowl? I’m afraid of bad Dak coming out. Jerry knew we needed better receivers and another RB other than Pollard. This season was fools gold. Everyone knew the Eagles were the best team this year and we still did nothing during the season to improve the team

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
The issue is our FO, who continues to be cheap. Jalen Hurts isn't better than Dak, but he might potentially go to the superbowl because they SURROUNDED him with talent. They were AGGRESSIVE in free agency. Prior to that, we were stomping the Eagles out, but our FO decided to trade away our best receiver for a fifth rounder and did nothing with the money. I'm sorry, but you can't win like that when other teams are going all in to get better.
He’s way better. He throws the ball deep accurately. Everything else you said is true but I’m sorry love Dak but Hurts is a better passer and runner in 2023.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
We lost because both OC and the QB crap the bed once one of our best players on offense went out with an injury.
I posted on the pregame thread that the turnover was going to be the difference in this game because the two teams were pretty much evenly matched.

Dak absolutely couldn't afford to throw an INT let alone two in this game. It was going to be a close game and we were already handicapped due to Maher situation so we couldn't afford to give them easy points.
They crapped the bed before TP went out.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Honestly…do you believe we are as talented as SF?
SF offense weapons: McAffrey, Samuel, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell
Dal offensive weapons: Lamb, Pollard…Schultz? Zeke? Gallup?

They are better. Their offense made more plays than we did.
Overall, both sides of the ball, we have just as much talent. They have better offensive coaching and scheme. That was the difference.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The issue is our FO, who continues to be cheap. Jalen Hurts isn't better than Dak, but he might potentially go to the superbowl because they SURROUNDED him with talent. They were AGGRESSIVE in free agency. Prior to that, we were stomping the Eagles out, but our FO decided to trade away our best receiver for a fifth rounder and did nothing with the money. I'm sorry, but you can't win like that when other teams are going all in to get better.
They're able to 'SURROUND' Hurts with talent BECAUSE they arent (YET) spending on their QB. Fair point about going all-in, CAP wise that may well be feasible in lead up to 2024 (to coincide with Dak's last year).

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Defense played well enough to win this game. The Offense is the problem here. Poor play selection. Too pred

Yes, Dak was a big part of it, but I blame KM as well. The play selection is terrible. I'm so sick of the stop routes or the come back routes. How about a slant over the middle once in a while. What did SF do to us with success?
I hate when we only need 5 yards on 3rd or 4th down and he sends all 4 receivers on vertical routes 20+ yards downfield. He never schemed rub routes and his run scheme stinks even with TP. He is very predictable.

Cmac

Reaction score
Sorry, not buying what you are selling. A good QB beats the 9ers tonight with everything else being the same.
Yep....but everything being the same means OL was protecting, Diggs blows up Kittles, XP not blocked, chains moved, points in the redzone, other WRs involved, other WRs open all day, coaching prevails, team playing physical.....point being made. None of that happened and all the eggs in the basket on our inconsistent QB. SF didn't do that, we did.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They crapped the bed before TP went out.
Disagree, the running game (inc Dak) is used to bring the secondary 'down' and tire the defense, the benefit of which is seen at the end of the game. Up to TP's injury we were ok. After his injury we totally changed the gameplan (hence Malik doesnt get a touch and we go back to Zeke up the middle). As soon as that happens the 49ers life got easier.

Did our OC have a gameplan for TP going down (or being ineffectual), one of the big issues the Offense has (yesterday and in general) and why Moore should be criiticized is that we're great when everything's working, but we dont have alternative plans when elements go wrong.....we just revert to type.

BigD5

Reaction score
There were plenty of guys open in the game. Like TY up the seam for a TD on the 3rd down that Dak tried to fit in to CD up the seam. TY is wide open streaking down the field. Wouodve walked in the end zone. But Dak never even seen him cause he just choked

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
This is spot-on analysis. I would like to expand upon what you said about FA moves and trades. I would say:
  • A team should build primarily through the draft, and then turn to FA moves and trades to plug any remaining holes.
This team has dramatically improved how well it drafts. If you compare the last 8 years or so with the late 90s, you can see a world of difference. That's a good thing. During those late 90s, the team also mostly got burned via their FA acquisitions and trades, and so I think it turned to the notion "you build through the draft," which is true ... partially. The thing is, FA moves/trades can very easily be done poorly in a way that hozes your team. See: Joey Galloway and Roy Williams (WR) trades. I suspect those misadventures made this front office gun shy. They got it in their heads "just draft well."

I like your idea of bringing in some kind of strategic advisor to help in this area. Where you find such a person is a big question mark, but it could be done. I would also like to point out that there are different types of FA moves, primarily two:
  • Signing a basic player to fill a hole, often short-term
  • Signing a major talent, someone highly coveted
This team has done better in that first category, but it's also the lower stakes category. For example, the signing of Andy Dalton was totally reasonable. Back then we didn't know how capable Cooper Rush was, and Dalton was an experienced vet whom you had a chance to win with if Dak went down (if you you can protect him, which the team really didn't). For signing free agents for depth, you're usually not throwing big piles of money at the player, and you can do things like incentive-based contracts. If you have a miss, you haven't trashed your salary cap.

The other area where this front office needs help in:
  • Salary cap management
This area is highly related to the problem of not being able to sign highly coveted free agents. You can't sign them if you don't have the money under the cap to do so. Today we watched an average to slightly above average quarterback who cannot carry a team on his shoulders in crunch time, has an interception problem -- and he's our 40 million dollar guy! After our best running back left the game hurt, we put in an okay running back who could do well in short yardage situations, but is light years from being elite, and he's massively paid. We grossly overpaid these two players to the point where the salary cap forced us to trade an excellent receiver for basically peanuts. And we couldn't go after the high-priced free agents.

Other teams have managed the cap better to be able to make perfect hole-fills for their team's needs. And this is HARD! There's a reason why the average fan couldn't just join an NFL's office and do that job. There's never any guarantee that the free agent you either sign or trade for will fill that need as well as you think. That's why those who do this job well are good at taking calculated risks. Jerry Jones probably thought he was taking an intelligent, calculated risk when he burned through two number one draft picks to get Joey Galloway. But a lot of people could see a mile away that he was going to get the team torched via that, and he did.

In short, the front office has gotten its act together for the most part for drafting, and it's done okay signing low-end, stop-gap free agents. It's the high-end free agents that it struggles with, and those struggles are interwoven with its salary cap struggles. Again, it is not easy, and it's not a job just any person could do. Jones needed to draw a line in the sand with both Dak and Zeke, and risk letting them walk, especially with Zeke given that it's not anywhere near as hard to replace a running back as it is a quarterback. But, even with a quarterback, you have to know who you've got and where to draw the line. Jones approached the negotiations as if Dak were a top-5 quarterback. He's not. You can win a championship with a decent, non-elite quarterback (see Trent Dilfer, see Doug Williams), but the team around him must be outstanding.

Has the front office gotten better? Sure, they have. They draft better. Of late, they've spared us any atrocious Galloway trades, but mainly by being gun shy. They've done some decent low-end FA signings.

Will Jones have the "ah-hah" moment and sign a strategic advisor as bobhaze suggests? Maybe, but it's doubtful.
That was worth the read.

Great post, I think you nailed it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
Losing Pollard in the first half hurt bad.

Diggs needs to stop being a sissy. That bobbled catch by Kittle could have easily been incomplete or better if Diggs hadn't just run by, pretending he was trying to hit him.