Here’s why the Cowboys should move Maliek Collins back to the 3-tech defensive tackle position

kskboys

Reaction score
If Marinelli had Irving at his disposal, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
While Irving is the better pass rusher, I'm not sure Malik isn't an allaround better player. We won't know as long as they insist on playing him out of position.

Hey, at least Landry realized White was not a LB and moved him back to where he belonged.

Beaker42

Reaction score
OK.

I think our best starting lineup is LDE - Lawrence, 1T - Woods, 3T - Collins, RDE - ??????

Crawford will likely start, Charlton is out there but if Armstrong is really this ******* good, he might be the best RDE to start.

RDE should be Armstrong then Taco then overpaid T-Craw.

Beaker42

Reaction score
While Irving is the better pass rusher, I'm not sure Malik isn't an allaround better player. We won't know as long as they insist on playing him out of position.

Hey, at least Landry realized White was not a LB and moved him back to where he belonged.

Irving is twice the player Collins is at. This point. Irving can dominate a game; Collins can’t.

Number1

Reaction score
Base Ends: Lawrence, Crawford, Taco
Pass Rush Ends: Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper?

don't get too sold on that. keep in mind this system is as much about a D3 pass rush and TFL as it is about DEs

Ward, Jones, and Irving probably all make this team at DT and can all play DE, also Crawford and Ealy can play D3

look at the crew: Lawrence, Crawford, Taco, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper, Ealy, Ward, Jones, Irving , Price, Collins, Woods, Ross

that's 14 guys - only 10 make the 53, only 8 make the game day roster ... there's talent there, but the 8 guys in bold have serious contracts to be considered if cut

RE - Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong
D3 - Collins, Ward, Irving (dicey) - but notice Jones tops the DC.com depth chart
D1 - Price, Woods
LE - Crawford, Taco

that make 10 not counting Jones ...what are the odds on Irving? are sure you wanna cut Jones? is Collins' foot good to go?

what are the odds on Gregory? how much cap goes to Ealy if cut? or Tapper?

who can be traded? and for what? ... ?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When it is all said and done, the 2016 draft of the Dallas Cowboys could go down as one of the best hauls in team history. People remember the great starts of Dak Prescott who won Rookie of the Year, and Ezekiel Elliott who earned All-Pro status right out of the gate. And with a healthy Jaylon Smith flashing signs of greatness at camp, this draft class just keeps getting better. While those three are great, it’s easy to overlook another nice grab in the draft in third-round pick Maliek Collins.

After a strong rookie season where Collins had five sacks, the team appeared to have a new 3-tech defensive tackle. However, he was shifted over to the 1-tech spot last year to accommodate another up-and-come interior rusher - David Irving. Collins wasn’t able to repeat his rookie success as he only had 2.5 sacks last year, but the reasons are unclear. Was it due to his position change or could it be a result of a lingering foot injury he had throughout the year? Entering the 2018 season, Collins appears to be in line for another season at the 1-tech spot, however there are a lot of different factors that could eventually change things up. So we ask - where should Collins play in the trenches, or better yet - what arrangement gives the Cowboys defensive line the best chance to succeed
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-back-to-the-3-tech-defensive-tackle-position

I don't think there is any question that he'll play 3tech. Woods and Price are 1techs. Datone Jones played both last season. Irving is unlikely to return, IMO.
Collins 3tech
Ward 3tech
Datone Jones 1Tech/3Tech
Woods 1tech
Price 1tech

Number1

Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that he'll play 3tech. Woods and Price are 1techs. Datone Jones played both last season. Irving is unlikely to return, IMO.
Collins 3tech
Ward 3tech
Datone Jones 1Tech/3Tech
Woods 1tech
Price 1tech

so which 5 DEs?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Irving is twice the player Collins is at. This point. Irving can dominate a game; Collins can’t.
That's all good and well, and I agree Irving has shown he can dominate a game at a level Collins hasn't yet. But Collins is still good in his own right. Hasn't missed a game in his career at this point and unfortunately Irving missed 8 games last season and is bound to miss 4 more to start.
Let me put it this way- Irving is a 9/10 that is great to have, but you can't trust to build a team around.
Collins is a 7/10 with potential to become even better, that has been dependable.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Bull----, Irving is a great mismatch as a rushing 3-tech - in limited situations. Biggest mistakes Marrinelli has made here is what he has done with Collins and Crawford.
They got caught with their pants down last year with Paea, and weakened 2 positions by moving Collins over. (Lazy instead of picking up someone off the waiver wire).
Irving cannot be trusted, is not a prototypical 3-tech. Collins is - or should be. Against the Run and rush hes the best option (In my opinion).

Number1

Reaction score
Bull----, Irving is a great mismatch as a rushing 3-tech - in limited situations. Biggest mistakes Marrinelli has made here is what he has done with Collins and Crawford.
They got caught with their pants down last year with Paea, and weakened 2 positions by moving Collins over. (Lazy instead of picking up someone off the waiver wire).
Irving cannot be trusted, is not a prototypical 3-tech. Collins is - or should be. Against the Run and rush hes the best option (In my opinion).

IMO, Rod has made a ton of really weird moves - Paea was a mid size one

I consider Jihad as big a pick up as Austin or Thomas, seriously mitigating the Irving soap opera

kskboys

Reaction score
Opinion.

Irving also gets washed out much easier. I would say he's not even close to twice the player Collins is. We've seen a glimpse of Collins at the 3 tech, 5 sacks in limited playing time. Might be a whole lot closer than you think.

And Irving has not dominated many games. Right now, he's the flavor of the year, w/ everyone hyping and overrating him.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's all good and well, and I agree Irving has shown he can dominate a game at a level Collins hasn't yet. But Collins is still good in his own right. Hasn't missed a game in his career at this point and unfortunately Irving missed 8 games last season and is bound to miss 4 more to start.
Let me put it this way- Irving is a 9/10 that is great to have, but you can't trust to build a team around.
Collins is a 7/10 with potential to become even better, that has been dependable.
Irving has not been a 9 up to this point.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Irving is a 7 that plays like a 5 at times, I believe in large part due to lack of proper motivation.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll take Collins and 5 sacks from the 3 vs him moving to the 1 with little to show for it. Besides we now have break neck woods at the 1.

chagus

Reaction score
True but it makes little difference if he's not on the field. Its Collins job to lose now.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Right now they’re
Opinion.

Irving also gets washed out much easier. I would say he's not even close to twice the player Collins is. We've seen a glimpse of Collins at the 3 tech, 5 sacks in limited playing time. Might be a whole lot closer than you think.

And Irving has not dominated many games. Right now, he's the flavor of the year, w/ everyone hyping and overrating him.
Irving has not been a 9 up to this point.

My worry is Collins’ foot/toe. Yeah, Irving had the suspension last season from whatever PED it was. I think the guy was traumatized by the psycho ex and took some **** to deal, right or wrong. IMO, D-Irv has played like a 9 at times and Collins has been a steady 5. He just doesn’t make life miserable for opposing O-lines the way Irving can. I’m hoping he comes back w/ his head on straight.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll take Collins and 5 sacks from the 3 vs him moving to the 1 with little to show for it. Besides we now have break neck woods at the 1.
I think it's sad how they've stymied his development by playing him out of position. He has not been terrible at the nose, it's just such a waste of talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right now they’re

My worry is Collins’ foot/toe. Yeah, Irving had the suspension last season from whatever PED it was. I think the guy was traumatized by the psycho ex and took some **** to deal, right or wrong. IMO, D-Irv has played like a 9 at times and Collins has been a steady 5. He just doesn’t make life miserable for opposing O-lines the way Irving can. I’m hoping he comes back w/ his head on straight.
I go back and forth on Irving. I see him as more of a situational pass rusher type, not an every down type. That's my best guess, because I'm not sure exactly what to make of him.