Here’s why the Cowboys should move Maliek Collins back to the 3-tech defensive tackle position

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it's sad how they've stymied his development by playing him out of position. He has not been terrible at the nose, it's just such a waste of talent.

Agreed and I get that last year we lost our 1tech at seasons start. But then I get frustrated that we did not draft a guy to at least give us depth there. It's nice Collins can play there in a pinch but he was so much better when he could beat a guard 1 on 1 as a rookie.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Irving has not been a 9 up to this point.
I'd say the small 8 game sample from Irving last year, he was about a 9 as a rusher.
You brought up his run defense, that knocks his grade down since IMO Collins is more stout against the run.
The most important thing is availability
and Collins is putting in the work to get back on the field, so he's earning his spot and
Irving shouldn't be given the 3T spot as long as Collins is healthy.

DiResta

Reaction score
OK.

I think our best starting lineup is LDE - Lawrence, 1T - Woods, 3T - Collins, RDE - ??????

Crawford will likely start, Charlton is out there but if Armstrong is really this ******* good, he might be the best RDE to start.
have you seen the roster for the game vs Cincinnati?
I know it's preseason but it's also so Cowboys
the front 4 depth chart on defense :vomit:
3mxYyNA.png

Kaiser

Reaction score
have you seen the roster for the game vs Cincinnati?
I know it's preseason but it's also so Cowboys
the front 4 depth chart on defense :vomit:

What's the issue? They have to give the guys on the bubble plenty of snaps to evaluate who gets cut.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ealy getting more quality snaps than Armstrong tonight would anger me.

But then again I should just expect Marinelli will always favor his vets.

DiResta

Reaction score
What's the issue? They have to give the guys on the bubble plenty of snaps to evaluate who gets cut.
I know
but just imagine the ol' veterans first thing (carrying over to the season) and them starting Crawford at RDE backed up by Taco with Dorance and Gregory buried behind Tank and Ealy at LDE
or Woods behind Ross

(fwiw I don't think Ealy or Ross make the team)

Kaiser

Reaction score
I know
but just imagine the ol' veterans first thing (carrying over to the season) and them starting Crawford at RDE backed up by Taco with Dorance and Gregory buried behind Tank and Ealy at LDE
or Woods behind Ross

(fwiw I don't think Ealy or Ross make the team)

Agree on all of that, but Taco and the others have to earn the spot. I've always thought Crawford ended up as the super sub at multiple positions with Taco starting. But you have to knock off the king to be the new king.

I think it ends up like this:

Run downs:

RDE - Taco Crawford Gregory
3T - Collins Ward Jones
1T - Woods Price Jones
LDE - DLaw Armstrong

Passing Downs

RDE - Gregory Taco
3T - Collins Ward Jones
1T - Woods Crawford Jones
LDE - DLaw Armstrong

Also I could see Tapper pushing Datone Jones off the roster but that will really come down to the last week of preseason.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Get Irving outta here, let Collins have one final season to show something at the 3-Tech (mainly to show that he can play well and stay healthy). If not then we'll address the position in the 1st round next year in a loaded DT draft

DiResta

Reaction score
Agree on all of that, but Taco and the others have to earn the spot. I've always thought Crawford ended up as the super sub at multiple positions with Taco starting. But you have to knock off the king to be the new king.

I think it ends up like this:

Run downs:

RDE - Taco Crawford Gregory
3T - Collins Ward Jones
1T - Woods Price Jones
LDE - DLaw Armstrong

Passing Downs

RDE - Gregory Taco
3T - Collins Ward Jones
1T - Woods Crawford Jones
LDE - DLaw Armstrong

Also I could see Tapper pushing Datone Jones off the roster but that will really come down to the last week of preseason.
swap Taco and Armstrong and I like it better
I just don't think Taco has developed the moves to consistently threaten left tackles, he doesn't really show counters when they stop his first move
I like his size over a tightend and developing behind Tank whereas Armstrong and Randy both have speed and bend

I like Datone playing inside, he's kind of a Crawford guy -strong and with ....."position flex" :muttley:
Tapper is a guy who you think would be really good off the edge but hasn't put it together

all just my humble opinion of course

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
don't get too sold on that. keep in mind this system is as much about a D3 pass rush and TFL as it is about DEs

Ward, Jones, and Irving probably all make this team at DT and can all play DE, also Crawford and Ealy can play D3

look at the crew: Lawrence, Crawford, Taco, Gregory, Armstrong, Tapper, Ealy, Ward, Jones, Irving , Price, Collins, Woods, Ross

that's 14 guys - only 10 make the 53, only 8 make the game day roster ... there's talent there, but the 8 guys in bold have serious contracts to be considered if cut

RE - Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong
D3 - Collins, Ward, Irving (dicey) - but notice Jones tops the DC.com depth chart
D1 - Price, Woods
LE - Crawford, Taco

that make 10 not counting Jones ...what are the odds on Irving? are sure you wanna cut Jones? is Collins' foot good to go?

what are the odds on Gregory? how much cap goes to Ealy if cut? or Tapper?

who can be traded? and for what? ... ?

I don't think it's hard to start the season, we just have to make some decisions about players we like. Not a hard problem. A good problem.

Your list about has it. Irving won't count toward the 10 until he plays, so we start the season keeping 11.

But you gotta add Gregory and Woods to the guys with serious contract. Both need 3 more accrued seasons for UFA. I hadn't realized that about Ward. That's great news.

Only Jones and Lawrence are on contract years. If this batch works out, we can stand pat for years to come.

We add Tapper or Jones. Or both and might bump Ward. Or Price. Start of the season, we bump 1 of 4. Maybe have to cut/trade one if Irving comes back and no one gets hurt in the meantime. But 4 games, and someone is likely an IR candidate by then.

If Tapper can show up in preseason, he'd have value as a pressure DE, both for us and for trade. Jones and Ealy might get a conditional 7th, or maybe a journeyman S in swap.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd say the small 8 game sample from Irving last year, he was about a 9 as a rusher.
You brought up his run defense, that knocks his grade down since IMO Collins is more stout against the run.
The most important thing is availability
and Collins is putting in the work to get back on the field, so he's earning his spot and
Irving shouldn't be given the 3T spot as long as Collins is healthy.
Agree, his pass rushing is topnotch. However, if he's weak in other areas, that makes him a situational player.

I'm afraid I have a bad attitude towards Irving. You need players you can count on for a super bowl run. Injury prone players and knuckleheads have derailed more than one super bowl contender. Bob Sanders, for example.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Agree, his pass rushing is topnotch. However, if he's weak in other areas, that makes him a situational player.

I'm afraid I have a bad attitude towards Irving. You need players you can count on for a super bowl run. Injury prone players and knuckleheads have derailed more than one super bowl contender. Bob Sanders, for example.
I don't blame you. A guy like Irving won't ever be a player you can build around or rely on because of his issues.
Another reason, like you, I'm a fan of Collins. He hasn't missed a game yet, in spite of a couple of injuries.
5 sacks as a rookie. He had 2.5 sacks before they moved him from 3T last year, around week six I think? Those are good numbers for him.
Well-rounded player.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't blame you. A guy like Irving won't ever be a player you can build around or rely on because of his issues.
Another reason, like you, I'm a fan of Collins. He hasn't missed a game yet, in spite of a couple of injuries.
5 sacks as a rookie. He had 2.5 sacks before they moved him from 3T last year, around week six I think? Those are good numbers for him.
Well-rounded player.
I'm not sure most comprehend the difference in playing the 3 tech/UT position as opposed to the 1 tech/NT position.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I'm not sure most comprehend the difference in playing the 3 tech/UT position as opposed to the 1 tech/NT position.
I agree. The alignments & responsibilities are different and that's why I hope they leave him alone at 3 tech. Save him the wear and tear from being double teamed so much.
He's stout for a 3T, but not at 1T.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. The alignments & responsibilities are different and that's why I hope they leave him alone at 3 tech. Save him the wear and tear from being double teamed so much.
He's stout for a 3T, but not at 1T.
Playing a 3 tech at the 1 tech has been tried and has never worked to my knowledge. The last one I remember is when OAK tried a Seymour/Tommy Kelly combo. Both were fine 3 techs, but the D failed miserably and was, as expected, weak vs the run.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Playing a 3 tech at the 1 tech has been tried and has never worked to my knowledge. The last one I remember is when OAK tried a Seymour/Tommy Kelly combo. Both were fine 3 techs, but the D failed miserably and was, as expected, weak vs the run.
Good example. That was probably one of Al Davis' genius ideas I'm sure?
Another thing I think gets overlooked is that being able to stop the run on early downs actually helps the pass rush.
It's a lot easier to just get after the QB when it's 3rd & 9 versus, say, 3rd & 4.