Twitter: Here's Stephen's statement of what they expect from the D

CCBoy

Reaction score
Should we be concerned that the two SAM rushers that he named are currently suspended?
Hey, it's about way over due that the NFL actually make a decision that did not single out the Dallas Cowboys and hurt them in some way!

Let both of those two men, free, to pursue their own dreams...they've paid their dues and the Cowboys have given them a chance. NFL, don't take that away, or as an organization...you are far from American!!:starspin:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The hint that you get is that front 7 and flexibility, Dline is very important to this scheme.

How you read that and came away that DE was no way a high pick is a mystery. Some people just see what they want to see. And if you notice, there are several others that disagree with that post of yours. Then a few posts later you actually agree with a guy that disagreed with your post. So its a little confusing to say the least.
You're just hard headed. Go ahead. Just watch. Your beloved Chaisson will not be picked by the Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Of course, this idea isn't anything new -- they've been trying to reach that level for years, already. Firstly, the coaching and the overall talent must get there for such a comparison to become legit. That's a lofty goal in itself. Talking about it and doing it is another thing altogether. Time and winning will tell the tale in the long run. The proof is yet to be seen but the mere thought is pleasant. ;)

My mouth can't keep up with the salivation contemplating the possibility of a DL group consisting of:

Lawrence
Smith
Gregory
Chaisson
Crawford
McCoy
Poe
Woods
Hill
Armstrong/Jackson

Last edited:

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Totally agree. Finally, we will see an aggressive and scheme-changing Defense that will put pressure on opposing Offenses. That should make life easier on our Secondary.

Question: Which one of our LBs is our Sam LB?

Please God, NOT Sean Lee. Love the guy’s tenacity and his football IQ, but would like to see if he can actually make it through a full season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're just hard headed. Go ahead. Just watch. Your beloved Chaisson will not be picked by the Cowboys.

How can I possibly know what stupid thing Jerry would do?

What I said was that he should be the pick if he is there. Or move down. Heck, they could pick a RB there for all I know. How many times have they screwed up the draft?

But based on need, position, and quality of Chaisson he should be the pick if he is there and Henderson or Kinlaw are already gone. Personally, I feel like he will be picked before us.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Some teams don't even have a fullback and three wide sets have pretty much become the norm in the NFL. So it's still a part time position. Spending a first round pick on a part-timer sounds kind of Bobby Carpenter-ish to me.

How I envision this running is that on downs that we used to use a 4-3 with a conventional SAM, we still use a 4-3, just that the SAM could line up off-ball, or he could be up on the line as stand-up 5th DL. On nickel downs, when we bring in a 5th DB - which is a lot of downs, one of the 4 conventional DL, right now I think would be Crawford, will come off and then the SAM/DPR will come and play a more conventional style stand-up DE. So, whomever our SAM/DPR is, will hardly ever come off the field.
The pic below shows the Falcons when Nolan was the DC. 71 is the SAM/DPR - he needs to be an athlete. Clay Matthews did this for MM in Green Bay. Chaisson, Baun, Weaver, and Gregory would be my choices for this spot. If they pick Murray at #17, I think that means they are going to try Jaylon Smith at that spot - which would NOT be my first choice.
Let's say its Chaisson, - then #77 would be Crawford, although I think Aldon Smith now has the size to be that spot. Then #96 is POE, #95 - McCoy, #93 DLaw.

On nickel downs, you bring another CB or S in, and you take out #77 (Crawford) - DLAW then goes to his traditional SDE on the left side and the SAM goes to the weak side and plays as a stand-up RDE.

EV1KDuyUcAEGh73

kumizi

Reaction score
This is the same dude that said Tavon Austin would be getting 20 touches a game. Don't pay attention to anything he says during the offseason. Part of his job is to talk up his coaches and personnel.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
This is the same dude that said Tavon Austin would be getting 20 touches a game. Don't pay attention to anything he says during the offseason. Part of his job is to talk up his coaches and personnel.

True, but a lot of what he said goes along with what we saw with MM and Nolan's defensive schemes in their previous jobs, and it goes makes sense with many of the video conferences we are making.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I realize the guy drank too much water, but I cant help but think Bauns versatility could be a major plus for this defense.

Either way, Its great to see that they want to show multiple looks. Nolan has been up and down, but he knows his football and I think he is the guy that can install a real scheme and get the attention of the players, accountability wise at least.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
How I envision this running is that on downs that we used to use a 4-3 with a conventional SAM, we still use a 4-3, just that the SAM could line up off-ball, or he could be up on the line as stand-up 5th DL. On nickel downs, when we bring in a 5th DB - which is a lot of downs, one of the 4 conventional DL, right now I think would be Crawford, will come off and then the SAM/DPR will come and play a more conventional style stand-up DE. So, whomever our SAM/DPR is, will hardly ever come off the field.
The pic below shows the Falcons when Nolan was the DC. 71 is the SAM/DPR - he needs to be an athlete. Clay Matthews did this for MM in Green Bay. Chaisson, Baun, Weaver, and Gregory would be my choices for this spot. If they pick Murray at #17, I think that means they are going to try Jaylon Smith at that spot - which would NOT be my first choice.
Let's say its Chaisson, - then #77 would be Crawford, although I think Aldon Smith now has the size to be that spot. Then #96 is POE, #95 - McCoy, #93 DLaw.

On nickel downs, you bring another CB or S in, and you take out #77 (Crawford) - DLAW then goes to his traditional SDE on the left side and the SAM goes to the weak side and plays as a stand-up RDE.

EV1KDuyUcAEGh73
Oh yeah. I forgot GB played a 3-3-5. Thanks, for explaining it.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I realize the guy drank too much water, but I cant help but think Bauns versatility could be a major plus for this defense.

Either way, Its great to see that they want to show multiple looks. Nolan has been up and down, but he knows his football and I think he is the guy that can install a real scheme and get the attention of the players, accountability wise at least.
I think you’re right. Seems to me chaisson is the first choice Baun would be second. Can Murray be that guy ?

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the game 2 years ago at Dallas vs the high flying Saints where we won a defensive struggle against them?? That's how I want the Cowboys defense to play.

Proof

Reaction score
Of course, this idea isn't anything new -- they've been trying to reach that level for years, already. Firstly, the coaching and the overall talent must get there for such a comparison to become legit. That's a lofty goal in itself. Talking about it and doing it is another thing altogether. Time and winning will tell the tale in the long run. The proof is yet to be seen but the mere thought is pleasant. ;)

I say, I say...

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I wish Jerry and his son would you shut up talking to the media about coach philosophy of the team

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How can I possibly know what stupid thing Jerry would do?

What I said was that he should be the pick if he is there. Or move down. Heck, they could pick a RB there for all I know. How many times have they screwed up the draft?

But based on need, position, and quality of Chaisson he should be the pick if he is there and Henderson or Kinlaw are already gone. Personally, I feel like he will be picked before us.
DE is not a need. It's a luxury at this moment. There are bigger holes to fill.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
another year same talk bla bla the annual Jones BS will believe it when we reach the SB

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

EV1KDuyUcAEGh73
That Sam LB (#71) looks to big/stocky/heavy to be able to cover the TE or a RB who were to run into the flat on his side.