Here's what you're rooting for now

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
For every QB coming out in this draft to shine. Lawrence and Fields are probably givens at the top 2 picks but the more QB's like Trask, Wilson, Jones and Lance look good they entice teams to move up and take QB's off the board and move what this team needs down the board and within reach.

Six QB's are thought to be 1st rounders in this draft and where they fall is critical to the Cowboys, now in 5th but with 4 other 4-9 teams so they could actually win their way out of the top 10.

That might not affect some teams but this team needs their 1st rounder to start from day 1. And he needs to be a necessity pick, not a luxury pick like this last draft.
This scenario looks like 2016 again.

Back then we drafted Zeke at 4 and Dak at 4th rd

We were looking for Romo's backup and found him in Dak.

That worked out well.

Look for us to repeat something similar.

We are predictable that way.

I see us drafting a QB at #1 and backup Dak at a cheap cost with a Rookie contract.

Then we Tag Dak one more year and see how he progresses in 2021. If you recovers and resumes quality play..

We go ahead and trade the QB we drafted in 2021 and get our pick back plus maybe more.

Then we do a long term Dak deal in 2022.

This is a responsible decision that has many options for everybody.

I am not like the knee-jerk fans here.

Make quality decisions and let the results marinate.

I can be hired as the new GM at anytime.
:lmao2:

plasticman

Reaction score
Unless it's determined that there is a generational offensive lineman or defensive front seven, the Cowboys need to trade this pick. Otherwise, the best circumstances are that the chosen skill player is very good and the Cowboys must create another huge contract within 3 to 4 years.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Trask is the guy and I hope we get him for some reason he remind me of Jeff George

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nobody is moving up for Trask or Jones - it's debatable whether they're even first rounders.

The real hope of a team moving up is that they think Lance is Mahomes.

Lamb wasn't a luxury pick

I think Zach Wilson is the most Mahomes like of the bunch. Very similar in skill.

I can't imagine the back lash Jerry would receive if they are sitting in position to draft a QB and pass and that QB goes on to be highly successful.

Because it's obvious where the big contract to Dak is going to take us. We've had all the warning signs to avoid doing this. The team is terrible with him and can't put enough around him to ever be a serious Superbowl contender.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So a team with the #2 passing offense and bad D takes a WR in the 1st and that's not a luxury pick?
The Lamb pick was not horrible- certainly Lamb has big talent and upside. The problem for this team is he did nothing to make this team better in the win column. And that’s the problem with the way this FO thinks.

The top brass here drafts talent with little regard for whether or not their acquisition means making the whole team better. Lamb made the receiving corps way better. But that didn’t help the whole team because we were already good at WR.

This FO always seems to think small picture instead of big. In the small picture, Lamb was a great pick, but not necessarily the bigger picture. That doesn’t mean Lamb isn’t good for this team to have. But until the team addresses the big picture of building a team as opposed to a bunch of talent, expect more of the same.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For every QB coming out in this draft to shine. Lawrence and Fields are probably givens at the top 2 picks but the more QB's like Trask, Wilson, Jones and Lance look good they entice teams to move up and take QB's off the board and move what this team needs down the board and within reach.

Six QB's are thought to be 1st rounders in this draft and where they fall is critical to the Cowboys, now in 5th but with 4 other 4-9 teams so they could actually win their way out of the top 10.

That might not affect some teams but this team needs their 1st rounder to start from day 1. And he needs to be a necessity pick, not a luxury pick like this last draft.

I'm not sure we have to draft in the top five to get what we need. Maybe if we want to go linebacker with Micah Parsons. It appears that most of the top 10 prospects are offensive players. I think there's a good chance if we end up drafting nine or 10, though, that we could end up with the top DT, the top DE or the top CB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We are still in great position for a CB or LB. OL was never in play. As long as we stay in the top 6-7, we lose nothing except the big trade down.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The team needs O-line
Do we really? With the playing time the young guys are getting I think it has lessened the priority. Center seems to be TB going forward. CMc has been playing pretty well so hopefully they will let the two Connor's fight that out and I'm guessing he wins. If your other guys come back healthy your starting unit looks pretty good.
Certainly, i have been concerned about Tyron for a while now so if an opportunity came along you should definitely look into it but I don't know that you have chase it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
So a team with the #2 passing offense and bad D takes a WR in the 1st and that's not a luxury pick?
When you factor in a #1 and elite Vet contract for Cooper, picking WR at 17 given the sorry the state of the defense was short sighted at best.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d rather them take lamb than klavon chaisson who is looking like another taco.

I would have loved a difference maker on defense, but sometimes you’ve gotta just make sure you hit on your pick, and the cowboys did.
Agree that he was a hit, good pick and highly rated. In fact, he was rated the #1 WR by many but still got passed on by other teams and some more in need of that position, why didn't they take him?

I'll answer that. Because they were out to help their team, not themselves to a splash pick. Being on the water wasn't enough for him, he wanted to feed his egotistical and narcissistic need for attention.

Here's my point. They have to start on the D and was Chaisson worth that pick? Not this year but was he an upgrade and could he help the team defense? And he had his best game of the season on Sunday and might just be a late developer. I would have rather seen them trade out of it to get more 2nd day ammo even if it meant PHL got Lamb. Posters seemed to be happier that they kept them from getting Lamb.

And here's my problem. The single most abundant position in the draft every year is WR and there was another better than Lamb that went behind him. They had a 20M #1 and a good 2nd coming up soon.

The worst team against the run in the league, I'll leave it at that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trask is the guy and I hope we get him for some reason he remind me of Jeff George
Lord let’s hope not. Jeff George had a cannon of an arm, but was a selfish player who played on 5 teams, literally never played a full season in 12 years, and his teams only made the playoffs 3 of those 11 years. His reg season record as a starter was 46-78. No thanks.

817Gill

Reaction score
I would have taken the best D pick, probably Chaisson, or traded down for more picks.
Chaisson doesn’t look like a first rounder currently and until he does that’s not a better pick than Lamb. I’m not trading down to see CeeDee in Philly, especially since 18 till the end of round 2 were all similarly graded guys.

We most likely would’ve taken Diggs in the bottom of round one and who knows who else. I would get the thinking if there was a slam dunk player there, but draft grade wise and production wise there isn’t any glaring should-have-been guy there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chaisson doesn’t look like a first rounder currently and until he does that’s not a better pick than Lamb. I’m not trading down to see CeeDee in Philly, especially since 18 till the end of round 2 were all similarly graded guys.

We most likely would’ve taken Diggs in the bottom of round one and who knows who else. I would get the thinking if there was a slam dunk player there, but draft grade wise and production wise there isn’t any glaring should-have-been guy there.
It's not about being a 1st rounder, it's about being a necessary piece to the puzzle. If Diggs works out do we care if he was in the 1st or second?

Chaisson had his best game of the year yesterday so maybe he's coming along? Takes time, more than a partial season. In their first year, most were disappointed the Cowboys took Ware instead of Merriman and his 17 sacks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Cowboys are sitting at 4 on draft day I think Cowboys will look to trade the pick to get multiple picks that would still have us drafting in the 1st and hopefully still within the top 10. Currently Cowboys would have 4 picks in the 1st 102 selection. If Cowboys can swap 1st rd and pick up a 2nd maybe more then it would allow them to address several needs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

4 losses, thats what we should be rooting for.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Zach Wilson is the most Mahomes like of the bunch. Very similar in skill.

I can't imagine the back lash Jerry would receive if they are sitting in position to draft a QB and pass and that QB goes on to be highly successful.

Because it's obvious where the big contract to Dak is going to take us. We've had all the warning signs to avoid doing this. The team is terrible with him and can't put enough around him to ever be a serious Superbowl contender.

which one is the most Dak like? Thats the one I want.