Here's what you're rooting for now

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Manalive, that really depends on who's available, and what a trade down will bring. This draft isn't exactly chockfull of talent.
But it’s full of QB’s. Maybe we can trade down for extra picks and still take a QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Signing dak removes the need to draft a qb.
You’d think so. At least in first round.

Jimmy said that’s what he’d do but didn’t specify if that meant signing Dak for long term or just the Tag which of course is a huge difference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s a good use of draft capital using 1st pick on a QB if extending Dak which basically in effect the high draft pick would be sitting for several years.

Unless your using it for leverage to sign Dak or have more injury concerns . A high drafted QB could eventually have trade capital. Or Dak could have trade capital. Which would be more aligned in how Jimmy is probably thinking by hedging his QB position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Manalive, that really depends on who's available, and what a trade down will bring. This draft isn't exactly chockfull of talent.

We got a seeming haul in the draft on a season when all the camps to develop them were canceled.
Now it seems we're getting a high draft slot and lots of comp picks in a draft w/o a lot of talent. And probably more trimmed camps.

Covid ain't working out too well for us.

I think Jerry was loose with the resignings in anticipation of a big boost to the cap, too. Now it's dropping.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we like one of the QB's, we should just take him. Not often we get to pick early enough to take a top QB prospect.
I’m ok with that . It is the most important position to invest draft capital on, even if it’s not a position of need if we sign Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s a good use of draft capital using 1st pick on a QB if extending Dak which basically in effect the high draft pick would be sitting for several years.

Unless your using it for leverage to sign Dak or have more injury concerns . A high drafted QB could eventually have trade capital. Or Dak could have trade capital. Which would be more aligned in how Jimmy is probably thinking by hedging his QB position.
Depends on who's there and what Dak does.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My hunch is if we go QB in 1st round we won’t extend Dak , we’ll tag him again and see what happens.

I’m not sure it sends Dak a vote of confidence though. I’m thinking he’ll be looking to sign a bigger deal elsewhere.

And why us using our top pick on a QB probably means the end is near for Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
My hunch is if we go QB in 1st round we won’t extend Dak , we’ll tag him again and see what happens.
Everyone wants an answer right now. There is no answer until/unless we know what Dak wants, and what he'll do. Since we don't know, searching for answers at this point is a fruitless endeavor.

cern

Reaction score
You’d think so. At least in first round.

Jimmy said that’s what he’d do but didn’t specify if that meant signing Dak for long term or just the Tag which of course is a huge difference.
Jimmy was talking about taking trevor Lawrence talent. Even if dak were signed. But Lawrence will be gone after 1st pick.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy was talking about taking trevor Lawrence talent. Even if dak were signed. But Lawrence will be gone after 1st pick.
Yea but he knew we wouldn’t get Trevor. Trevor like talent could be the top 2 or 3 QB’s.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone wants an answer right now. There is no answer until/unless we know what Dak wants, and what he'll do. Since we don't know, searching for answers at this point is a fruitless endeavor.
I understand but that’s part of what we do here is speculate for answers.

I like the idea of taking a QB. Unless we extend Dak long term. Then I’m not sure he’s a heir apparent which most highly drafted QB’s are.

Surely we wouldn’t use a top 5 pick on a QB to sit 4 or 5 years. Would we? That’s not what you’d be suggesting?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Yeah, I wouldn't draft a QB with a top 10 pick to sit for years. Maybe one year if Dak is franchised.

If they extend Dak for years, don't draft a QB high.
If they only franchise Dak, then by all means draft a QB if we like one. Even in the first. But then look to trade Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand but that’s part of what we do here is speculate for answers.

I like the idea of taking a QB. Unless we extend Dak long term. Then I’m not sure he’s a heir apparent which most highly drafted QB’s are.

Surely we wouldn’t use a top 5 pick on a QB to sit 4 or 5 years. Would we? That’s not what you’d be suggesting?
Man, it all comes down to what Dak does. If he ignores us again, Tag and draft one. If he's still insisting on some 4 year deal like a baby, then move on. We need a longer deal to build around him. If he can't comprehend that, he's too dumb anyway.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't draft a QB with a top 10 pick to sit for years. Maybe one year if Dak is franchised.

If they only franchise Dak, then by all means draft a QB if we like one. Even in the first. But then look to trade Dak.
If Dak won't sign, I'd be looking to trade immediately.

Someone needs to ask Dak why he doesn't want to be here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man, it all comes down to what Dak does. If he ignores us again, Tag and draft one. If he's still insisting on some 4 year deal like a baby, then move on. We need a longer deal to build around him. If he can't comprehend that, he's too dumb anyway.
Your ok drafting a QB not knowing what Dak will do. Like insurance or leverage . I’m ok with that.

But if Dak signs then what. Trade the draft pick or sit a1st rounder for 4 or 5 years. Sorry , but these questions have to be considered.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Problem is we may not know what Dak is gonna do before the draft.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Lamb was the right pick in last year's scenario. There's now way Lamb should have been there and had he not been, the Cowboys would have gone K'Lavon Chaisson or Trevon Diggs, who they ended up getting 34 picks later (not a great read of the draft Cowboys).

That concept (too good an offensive player to pass up) could present itself again if Kyle Pitts is the by far BPA at our pick, and we can't get good value in a trade down (the Jones's are routinely beat in draft day trades).

I want defense badly but if my choices are the 3rd best CB, 2nd best LB, or a ton of uncertainty in a DT or DE, give me the game changing Pitts.

I hope you don't mean top 5. If they trade down and get Pitts I wouldn't be mad.