Here's who's earning praise instead of Rico

DiResta

Reaction score
heres a couple other key guys that are drawing praise and sound like roster locks
if you watch this interview with the new ST coach Oquinn

he specifically mentions 4 guys and a couple especially Noah Brown & Damien Wilson are interesting when you consider the competition and how deep they plan to go at the positions

also looks like Tavon will be a key return guy if you read between the lines
i know some are worried about his ST fumbles)

Kaiser

Reaction score
You find praise about Jarwin from OTA's where they don't even wear shells compelling?

Exactly. My guess at point is that the depth chart opening day is Jarwin, Schultz and Rico but that is effectively a hundred years away at this point.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Rico will go to the Eagles or another team and he will beast. We coach these guys up for other teams the reap the benefits.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Rico Gathers is one of the more fan over-hyped guys in recent Cowboys history who has never even been active for an NFL game yet. Rico has yet to show anything other than in shorts or against preseason 3rd stringers who will never play on Sundays. And after a short round of OTA's, it wasn't Rico who was getting the kudos from the FO and coaches as the up and coming TE so far.

Drum roll....it's Blake Jarwin.

Both Jason Garrett and VP of Player Personnel Will McClay have publicly tabbed Jarwin as a guy who has impressed them so far. Neither has had anything to say about Rico without a reporter asking them how Rico is doing. Their responses are much more muted than with Jarwin.

Last year after Geoff Swaim went down with a knee injury, the Cowboys brought Jarwin up from the practice squad for a short stint. He didn't light the world on fire but McClay has said the Eagles were about ready to snatch Jarwin off the practice squad before the Cowboys brought him up.

Let me clarify- I'm not proclaiming Blake Jarwin as the next Jason Witten or that he's about to catch 50 passes next year. But I am going to say that Rico is running a distant 4th in TE depth chart behind Swaim, Jarwin and rookie 4th rounder Dalton Schultz. And the early comments coming from Garrett on Rico aren't exactly glowing.

It's too early to say the "Rico Gathers experiment" is over, but the big guy has a ton of improving to do just to make the 53 man roster. Being an "athletic specimen" is not enough to be on an NFL roster. The clock is ticking on Rico and he has lots of impressing to do to salvage even making this team. TRaining Camp is now or never for the big guy.

Below are a couple of links to stories on this topic.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oys-offense-in-2018-blake-jarwin-tavon-austin

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ers-progress-He-needs-more-football-118656733
Man...

You guys read so deeply into stuff.

It's early.

Rrrricoooooo suuuuavvvveeeeee

Rayman70

Reaction score
Like I have said on this topic many times, he will likely be cut after the first cut down in camp. Unless he shows out...he will be done.

jrumann59

Reaction score
my guess is Rico is more like a streetball player and meshes with a Romo play style, whereas Dak expects you to be at position A when he looks for you regardless if the play breaks down.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Exactly. My guess at point is that the depth chart opening day is Jarwin, Schultz and Rico but that is effectively a hundred years away at this point.

So much stands to change with the offensive skill positions in general outside of Zeke. The competition for spots between RB, WR, and TE is going to be fierce. Heck the competition between White and CRush should be a good one too.

There should be room to go long at two of those spots with the team being so set at OL. I could see 4 RB and/oror TE, 6 WR, and/or 3QB.

People are trying to make it between Jarwin and Rico but that is a gross oversimplification. Scarbrough, Jackson, Rush, White, Jarwin, Rico, Swaim, Schultz, Wilson, Brown, Lenoir, Cannon, Thompson, etc are competing for limited spots.

There are 25 spots for offense. Dak, Zeke, Smith, Hurns, Beasley, Smith, Martin, Fred, Williams, LC, Fleming, Looney, one more OL are the locks. Green and Martin will likely battle for the last OL spot and that leaves 12 spots for everyone else. QB3 competes with WR6, competes with RB4/5, competes with TE4.

Rayman70

Reaction score
As far as special teams...I'm sorry Tavon is not an improvement over Switzer,plus he fumbles...and gets hurt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fuzzy...its based off the fact the guy has done ZILCH...and has been hurt. We need to see him beat out Schultz and if he can't even beat a rookie out for a slot on the team..then ask yourself, do we REALLY need to waste more time on him?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep that's it. You caught me. Anything else Columbo?

You have no reason for anyone to believe what you claim. I did catch that. The question is if you have anything else which you apparently do not.

I expect he makes the roster an starts! Woohoo! i have as much veracity a Ray does.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fuzzy...its based off the fact the guy has done ZILCH...and has been hurt. We need to see him beat out Schultz and if he can't even beat a rookie out for a slot on the team..then ask yourself, do we REALLY need to waste more time on him?

So nothing then. And he is a development prospect that flashed in the preseason given limited opportunities.

The only one with zilch here is you.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Switzer fumbles too so that is a wash. And he has missed 4 games in 5 years. He played through his injury last year which speaks to his toughness not against it.
He's 180 pounds soaking wet. THAT scares me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Honestly, as long as Austin is able to hold onto the ball, I'm not terribly concerned about our return game. I think that our offense will be so dynamic that it may not matter where we start with the ball.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's 180 pounds soaking wet. THAT scares me.

i don't really care about your emotional disposition and if that is how you have decisions then I find you even less credible.

He has missed very few games and plays through injury. It is what it is.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Rico Gathers is one of the more fan over-hyped guys in recent Cowboys history who has never even been active for an NFL game yet. Rico has yet to show anything other than in shorts or against preseason 3rd stringers who will never play on Sundays. And after a short round of OTA's, it wasn't Rico who was getting the kudos from the FO and coaches as the up and coming TE so far.

Drum roll....it's Blake Jarwin.

Both Jason Garrett and VP of Player Personnel Will McClay have publicly tabbed Jarwin as a guy who has impressed them so far. Neither has had anything to say about Rico without a reporter asking them how Rico is doing. Their responses are much more muted than with Jarwin.

Last year after Geoff Swaim went down with a knee injury, the Cowboys brought Jarwin up from the practice squad for a short stint. He didn't light the world on fire but McClay has said the Eagles were about ready to snatch Jarwin off the practice squad before the Cowboys brought him up.

Let me clarify- I'm not proclaiming Blake Jarwin as the next Jason Witten or that he's about to catch 50 passes next year. But I am going to say that Rico is running a distant 4th in TE depth chart behind Swaim, Jarwin and rookie 4th rounder Dalton Schultz. And the early comments coming from Garrett on Rico aren't exactly glowing.

It's too early to say the "Rico Gathers experiment" is over, but the big guy has a ton of improving to do just to make the 53 man roster. Being an "athletic specimen" is not enough to be on an NFL roster. The clock is ticking on Rico and he has lots of impressing to do to salvage even making this team. TRaining Camp is now or never for the big guy.

Below are a couple of links to stories on this topic.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oys-offense-in-2018-blake-jarwin-tavon-austin

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ers-progress-He-needs-more-football-118656733

I have some hopes for Shultz too

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rico has shown flashes in preseason and apparently while on the practice squad. Fuzzy...what I am hoping for is he is one of those players that MAYBE doesn't practice worth a flip...but when the games start,he flips a switch. SOME players are wired that way. Lets hope he's that guy,otherwise, I'm not expecting much.