Herschel Walker

RaZon

Reaction score
If we look at his Georgia, USFL, NFL yards both rushing/receiving and kickoff returns he gained over 30, 000 yards, that has gotta be some kind of record.

He was and still is the best example of that size with speed combo we have seen, he was a legit 10.23 sprinter and held his own vs NCAA competition.

Now he is running for some office, not sure what to think about that.

By the way....

FINALLY.....another speedster Cliff Branch up for the Hall of Fame. That would give the Raiders...

Ken Stabler
Fred Biletnikoff
Dave Casper
Cliff Branch............who has superior numbers to HOFers Bob Hayes and Lynnn Swann.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of getting to see Herschel run the 100 meters at the Golden South Classic held in Winter Park, Florida every summer shortly after the high school season ends. He actually lost that race to Florida state 100 champ Javaro Sims but it was amazing to see a guy his size run that fast. Both came in at around 10.5 as I recall. I wanna say it was 1980, right after his senior year in high school and just before his magical freshman year at Georgia. A continuing add on to my Forest Gumpian fortune.. 30 years later when Herschel started training for MMA.. he would end up coming to San Jose to train at AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) which was founded by form MMA light heavyweight champ Javier Mendez. It was also the gym where I used to train when I was doing MMA. So I got to meet Herschel and swap stories about growing up down South. Great guy.. and even in his late 40's and early 50's just a ridiculous physical specimen.

RaZon

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of getting to see Herschel run the 100 meters at the Golden South Classic held in Winter Park, Florida every summer shortly after the high school season ends. He actually lost that race to Florida state 100 champ Javaro Sims but it was amazing to see a guy his size run that fast. Both came in at around 10.5 as I recall. I wanna say it was 1980, right after his senior year in high school and just before his magical freshman year at Georgia. A continuing add on to my Forest Gumpian fortune.. 30 years later when Herschel started training for MMA.. he would end up coming to San Jose to train at AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) which was founded by form MMA light heavyweight champ Javier Mendez. It was also the gym where I used to train when I was doing MMA. So I got to meet Herschel and swap stories about growing up down South. Great guy.. and even in his late 40's and early 50's just a ridiculous physical specimen.

Very familiar with Javaro Sims being a big HBCU fan, he ended up at Florida A&M. Yep, superior to Walker early on.

A bit surprised that Walker got into the MMA., never saw that GRRRRRRR you'd need for that sport.

Like Jim Brown, Usain Bolt, Walker a physical freak, rare to see guys that big run that fast as you mentioned (Bo Jackson, Marcus Dupree).

Have no idea what to expect if he does get voted in.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Very familiar with Javaro Sims being a big HBCU fan, he ended up at Florida A&M. Yep, superior to Walker early on.

A bit surprised that Walker got into the MMA., never saw that GRRRRRRR you'd need for that sport.

Like Jim Brown, Usain Bolt, Walker a physical freak, rare to see guys that big run that fast as you mentioned (Bo Jackson, Marcus Dupree).

Have no idea what to expect if he does get voted in.

I always wonder why guys like Sims don't progress much once they get out of high school. Though he did qualify for the trials in 1980 and 1984. It just seemed like he should have been one of the top guys in the world for a stretch. Did you know he is now the Chief of Police in Delray Beach these days? Quite a different path to the one taken by my high school teammate Cyril Wyatt.. who in 1977 was the # 1 sprinter in the nation at both 100 (9.2) and 220 (20.6).. He dominated post season meets against fields that featured guys like James Sanford et a and was on the US Junior Olympic team in 1976. But he washed out at FSU after less than one season. He was never able to improve upon his performances in high school and eventually found drugs .. and jail.. and has spent as much of his adult life behind bars as he has in freedom. It makes me said to think about a guy wasting that much talent... Why didn't God give it to me? I would have known what to do with it, I promise!!!

RaZon

Reaction score
I always wonder why guys like Sims don't progress much once they get out of high school. Though he did qualify for the trials in 1980 and 1984. It just seemed like he should have been one of the top guys in the world for a stretch. Did you know he is now the Chief of Police in Delray Beach these days? Quite a different path to the one taken by my high school teammate Cyril Wyatt.. who in 1977 was the # 1 sprinter in the nation at both 100 (9.2) and 220 (20.6).. He dominated post season meets against fields that featured guys like James Sanford et a and was on the US Junior Olympic team in 1976. But he washed out at FSU after less than one season. He was never able to improve upon his performances in high school and eventually found drugs .. and jail.. and has spent as much of his adult life behind bars as he has in freedom. It makes me said to think about a guy wasting that much talent... Why didn't God give it to me? I would have known what to do with it, I promise!!!

Cyril Wyatt, been awhile since I read that name. Dude was a stud early on. He along with Carter Suggs, and this kid...

It was an indoor meet in Arizona, world class studs Don Quarrie and Steve Williams are entered in the 60 as is local high school kid LaNoris Marshall, yep, you guessed it the kid won the race.

I;m with you what does happen to these guys like those above and Bill Cowings***, James Jackson, Mel Clipper all Cali state sprint champs, who just....poof! 1957 Preston Griffin wins both the 100/200 at Cali State, takes third un the 200 at the USA Nationals which got him a spot on an international team, he ends up in Europe. After 1957.....poof!!!!

TONS....of what you are talking about, guys that had the potential but it never happened for them.

Carter Suggs ran a 9.3 6/7 times in high school, then it's off to East Carolina and......off the edge of the world. Much like Cyril Wyatt.

Nope after FAMU lost track of Javaro Sims who just peaked early, we do see that.

*** Cowings won the Cali state 100/200 then while at COS (my school) he wins the 100/200 at the JC level, then off to Texas Southern and oblivion.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cyril Wyatt, been awhile since I read that name. Dude was a stud early on. He along with Carter Suggs, and this kid...

It was an indoor meet in Arizona, world class studs Don Quarrie and Steve Williams are entered in the 60 as is local high school kid LaNoris Marshall, yep, you guessed it the kid won the race.

I;m with you what does happen to these guys like those above and Bill Cowings***, James Jackson, Mel Clipper all Cali state sprint champs, who just....poof! 1957 Preston Griffin wins both the 100/200 at Cali State, takes third un the 200 at the USA Nationals which got him a spot on an international team, he ends up in Europe. After 1957.....poof!!!!

TONS....of what you are talking about, guys that had the potential but it never happened for them.

Carter Suggs ran a 9.3 6/7 times in high school, then it's off to East Carolina and......off the edge of the world. Much like Cyril Wyatt.

Nope after FAMU lost track of Javaro Sims.

*** Cowings won the Cali state 100/200 then while at COS (my school) he wins the 100/200 at the JC level, then off to Texas Southern and oblivion.

Derrick Florence runs a high school record 10.13, then off to Texas A&M where he never breaks 10.20, or does anything actually.

Well a lot kids in Texas experience this but there's actually an explanation for it. A lot of them were allowed to compete in high school into their early 20's. Texas used to have this deal where they would allow a kid to stay in high school until I think age 23 if they were diagnosed with some "learning disability." I don't know if they still do it but I was shocked when I would look up many of the great sprinters from Texas to learn that their best times came at age 20 or 21, while they were still in high school. I knew it was commonly used for football players but it didn't occur to me that they would also be doing it for track guys.. probably other sports as well but definitely those two. It just blew me away when I started looking into the all time high school bests how many spots on the list were occupied by guys who should have been in college. And most of them were from Texas.

RaZon

Reaction score
Well a lot kids in Texas experience this but there's actually an explanation for it. A lot of them were allowed to compete in high school into their early 20's. Texas used to have this deal where they would allow a kid to stay in high school until I think age 23 if they were diagnosed with some "learning disability." I don't know if they still do it but I was shocked when I would look up many of the great sprinters from Texas to learn that their best times came at age 20 or 21, while they were still in high school. I knew it was commonly used for football players but it didn't occur to me that they would also be doing it for track guys.. probably other sports as well but definitely those two. It just blew me away when I started looking into the all time high school bests how many spots on the list were occupied by guys who should have been in college. And most of them were from Texas.

That is news to me, and I do keep up with all levels of the sport. I can't recall some Texas HS stud who didn't move on to some level of college track after a senior year of HS. Who you talking about there?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That is news to me, and I do keep up with all levels of the sport. I can't recall some Texas HS stud who didn't move on to some level of college track after a senior year of HS. Who you talking about there?

Oh most of them are able to parlay those outstanding high school careers to some level of college either in track or football. But a surprising number never got any better/faster in college. One who really stuck our for me ended up playing football at Texas.. His name escapes me.. maybe I can dig it out of my memory but I remember he led the nation in the 100m as a SOPHOMORE which blew me away.. until I noticed he was already 19 by that point. He ended up getting a full ride to UT... but I don't think he ever made it to the NFL.

RaZon

Reaction score
Oh most of them are able to parlay those outstanding high school careers to some level of college either in track or football. But a surprising number never got any better/faster in college. One who really stuck our for me ended up playing football at Texas.. His name escapes me.. maybe I can dig it out of my memory but I remember he led the nation in the 100m as a SOPHOMORE which blew me away.. until I noticed he was already 19 by that point. He ended up getting a full ride to UT... but I don't think he ever made it to the NFL.

When talking track/football players at UT...

Johnny Jones Olympian/Jets WR
Tony Jones Oilers WR, tiny!
Jamaal Charles Chiefs RB
Herkie Walls Oilers WR
Raymond Clayborn PatsWR
Marquiez Goodwin Bills WR

Now I'm at....hmmmm? Led the nation as a soph, I gots to know who this was.

RaZon

Reaction score
Walker vs the NCAA
1981 (Baton Rouge, June 05; wind +2.6) (31 contestants, 9 finalists; Q—10.36)

1. Carl Lewis (Houston)......................................... So ..............9.99w (faster than MR)
2. Jeff Phillips (Tennessee).................................... Sr ...............10.00w
3. Mel Lattany (Georgia)........................................ Sr ...............10.06w
4. Eric Brown (UCLA) ............................................ Jr................10.20w
5. Ron Brown (Arizona State)................................ So ..............10.24w
6. Calvin Smith (Alabama)..................................... So ..............10.24w
7. Herschel Walker (Georgia)................................. Fr................10.30w
8. Peter Okodogbe' (Arizona)................................ Jr................10.41w
9. Larry White (Mississippi Valley State)................ Jr................10.57w

Ron Brown a future NFL WR

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I found him.. The kid I was thinking of was Edorian McCullough .. I had it off by a year.. He didn't lead the nation as a sophomore.. he was a junior.. but he was on the top 10 list as a soph which was the year I first noticed him. He was the Texas state champ at 100 (10.08) and 200 (20.58) meters.. He was 20 years old as a high school senior. Obviously he was really fast.. but to me he stole high school championships from younger kids..

But the biggest example of one who was amazing in high school and faded to nothing after is Derrick Florence. 10.13 and 21.12 winning both the 100 and 200 at the World Junior Championships in 1986.. then pretty much out of the sport by 1990 and never really able to improve on what he had run in high school.

Then there was Earvin Parker 10.29, 20.70 as a high school senior in 2003.. Then nothing..

RaZon

Reaction score
Very familiar with all of them. would have got McCullough but the soph thing threw me. Great HS RB, more footballer than track actually.
He was 20 when he entered Texas. Never realized that.

Derrick Florence was going to be the next US sprinter then off to Texas A&M where his claim to fame was a 44.00 4x4 leg, never broke 10.20 as an Aggie.

Yep, Parker another.....watch this kid, before ya forget about him.

RaZon

Reaction score
Just for the hell of it.

All time NFL running backs 100

lane

1.O,J.Simpson 9.4yards
2.Bo Jackson 10.3
3.Jamaal Charles 10.1
4.Herschel Walker 10.2
5.Curtis Dickey 10.1.......world ranked while at Texas A&M
6.Travis Williams 9.3......great kick returner
7.Joe Delaney 9.4
8.Rayheem Mostert 10.2

"B"

lane

1.Napolean Kaufman Cali State 100m champ
2.Javid Best Cali State 100m champ
3.Butch Woolfolk 9.4
4.Adrian Peterson 10.2
5.Eric Dickerson 9.4
6,Marshall Faulk 10.3
7.Chris Johnson 10.3
8.Buddy Young NCAA/AAU champ

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Just for the hell of it.

All time NFL running backs 100

lane

1.O,J.Simpson 9.4yards
2.Bo Jackson 10.3
3.Jamaal Charles 10.1
4.Herschel Walker 10.2
5.Curtis Dickey 10.1.......world ranked while at Texas A&M
6.Travis Williams 9.3......great kick returner
7.Joe Delaney 9.4
8.Rayheem Mostert 10.2

"B"

lane

1.Napolean Kaufman Cali State 100m champ
2.Javid Best Cali State 100m champ
3.Butch Woolfolk 9.4
4.Adrian Peterson 10.2
5.Eric Dickerson 9.4
6,Marshall Faulk 10.3
7.James Owens 10.3
8.Buddy Young NCAA/AAU champ

Where is Chris Johnson? His 10.38 in high school put him in good company and I believe that he could certainly have improved on that had he actually run track in college. Maybe I'm just a homer because he is from my hometown and went to high school with two of my nephews. You also can't leave Reggie Bush off of this list. 10.42 FAT in high school .. another one who never ran in college.. which IMHO was a loss. Ironically one of the fastest we have ever seen was Tony Dorsett.. who never ran track but I believe he clocked a 9.3 over 100 yards while running in flats in the SuperStars competition.

RaZon

Reaction score
Where is Chris Johnson? His 10.38 in high school put him in good company and I believe that he could certainly have improved on that had he actually run track in college. Maybe I'm just a homer because he is from my hometown and went to high school with two of my nephews. You also can't leave Reggie Bush off of this list. 10.42 FAT in high school .. another one who never ran in college.. which IMHO was a loss. Ironically one of the fastest we have ever seen was Tony Dorsett.. who never ran track but I believe he clocked a 9.3 over 100 yards while running in flats in the SuperStars competition.

Let's fix that.....Johnson now has a lane, good one!

Bush was a 10.4 guy as you mentioned, that is a....hmmm?

Dorsett ran a 9.6 at those Superstars. Obviously here is a 9.4 if he'd ran track, but,he didn't.

Gale Sayers was a long jumper, but his older bro Roger a world class sprinter who once beat Bob Hayes,

Can't ignore Ollie Matson an Olympic 400m medalist.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
His career is a bit before my time. Why did he go to the USFL?

RaZon

Reaction score
I guess compensation was a bit different back in those days. Can't really blame him.

He wanted to play pro football after his junior season at Georgia, problem......NFL didn't take juniors back then. the USFL didn't care.