Herschel Walker

RaZon

Reaction score
My all-time favorite player. He's a good person and a great athlete with an unrivaled work ethic. If he hadn't signed with the New Jersey Generals out of college, he would have been a first ballot HOFer in the NFL. Cowboy fans should love him b/c his trade paved the way for the Jimmy Johnson super bowl teams.

Safe to say if he'd started out a Cowboy he'd have HOF NFL numbers.

Not sure I buy all those pushups every single day. Not that he doesn't look the part. And, he was a chubby little kid.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Walker had world class sprinter speed, therefore he could run away from more potential tacklers than Emmitt. That's most of the reason for the better yac numbers. But overall Emmitt was the better runner. You have to figure in durability, toughness leadership etc. as well.

It's not about pure numbers...

Actually it is.. Emmitt's career numbers dwarf Herschel's overall. Yards, touchdowns.. all of it. And a big reason why is he was far superior at making people miss, change of direction and possessed better balance. Herschel was never going to last in the NFL carrying the sort of workload that Emmitt did with his running style. Too many collisions. Being faster gave him the ability to take it to the house from anywhere.. That's a great skill.. however there is just much more to playing the position than hitting an occasional home run. Emmitt's 160+ short rushing TDs count more than Herschel's 60 something home runs. Moving the chains and then cashing in is better for your football team. Maybe it's not as sexy or as exciting.. but for winning football it is quite simply superior. It's fine if a person sees it differently ut the name of the game is scoring.. not scoring from far out. I think Herschel was one the 15-20 best all around football players I've ever seen.. I just happen to think Emmitt Smith was better.

RaZon

Reaction score
Actually it is.. Emmitt's career numbers dwarf Herschel's overall. Yards, touchdowns.. all of it. And a big reason why is he was far superior at making people miss, change of direction and possessed better balance. Herschel was never going to last in the NFL carrying the sort of workload that Emmitt did with his running style. Too many collisions. Being faster gave him the ability to take it to the house from anywhere.. That's a great skill.. however there is just much more to playing the position than hitting an occasional home run. Emmitt's 160+ short rushing TDs count more than Herschel's 60 something home runs. Moving the chains and then cashing in is better for your football team. Maybe it's not as sexy or as exciting.. but for winning football it is quite simply superior. It's fine if a person sees it differently ut the name of the game is scoring.. not scoring from far out. I think Herschel was one the 15-20 best all around football players I've ever seen.. I just happen to think Emmitt Smith was better.

Mercury Morris was a make ya miss cat, Larry Csonka a boom take that, who is in the Hall of Fame?

Jim Brown was no make ya miss guy and neither was Jim Taylor, John Henry Johnson, Marion Motley, Jerome Bettis, John Riggins, all in the Hall of Fame.

Walker played until he was 35, so durability was no problem. Looking at Walkers USFL years, his pass receiving, his kickoff returning it's really not,.....dwarfs.....ok?

Put Walker behind that line for 12 years and he puts up as many or more yards and it should be pretty obvious, he's not getting ran down like Emmitt did.

RaZon

Reaction score
Ripped this off...

He finished his career with 18,168 all-purpose yards when he retired from the NFL. At the time, he was second all-time to Walter Payton. He had 8,225 rushing yards and 61 rushing touchdowns.

“Let’s just forget about my USFL days,” he told the paper. “Look at my stats in the NFL. Look at my combined yards. Plus, I had 500 some catches (512). Those stats are good enough to be in the hall of fame. That’s what people need to look at when they start talking about numbers and all that.”

Walker only played in one playoff game for the Vikings and never rushed for more than 1,000 yards when he was with the team. He told the Pioneer Press he didn’t feel that the Vikings coaches were prepared for him to come and didn’t come up with an offensive scheme to put him in.