He's No Underdog. Amendola Has Strong Shot At Roster Spot

PosterChild

Reaction score
Every year, for any team at training camp there are quite a few undrafted hopefuls vying for a roster spot and steals the spotlight.

One Texas native follows that storyline this year for the Cowboys, former Texas Tech wide receiver Danny Amendola.

Several reports indicate Amendola has a strong shot a making the team. The one thing against him, is his height. At 5'10'', teams may count him out but Danny is hoping to prove himself like other smaller receivers in the NFL.

"You know, size really isn't everything," Amendola said. "Guys have been proving that for a long time with receivers like Wayne Chrebet and this last year with Wes (Welker) and guys like that. So, size really doesn't matter a whole lot."

"I'm definitely rooting for him because he is the underdog," Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas said. "It's like myself when I came in because of his size really that's the only reason why he is labeled an underdog. He's a playmaker."

Cowboys Camp Headlines:

* Another cornerback is injured. Alan Ball sprained his left ankle at practice Wednesday morning.

* The St. Petersburg Times reporting the Cowboys are still very interested in a trade with Tampa Bay for quarterback Chris Simms, if the Buccaneers will lower their asking price of a midround draft pick.

*Pending a physical, Terry Glenn will reportedly join the Dolphins. Glenn was waived by the Cowboys last Friday.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8764452&nav=menu117_4

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I like this kid and think he could have a real shot at a roster spot. I'd like to see a 3-way fight for the #3 WR position between Hurd, Austin, & Amendola. He has good skills but his height is a drawback to some. Personally, I don't care how tall a guy is but only if he can get separation, run the right route, and catch the dang ball. He has shown that in college but needs to prove that he can do it against NFL DBs now.

PosterChild

Reaction score
THUMPER;2167698 said:
I like this kid and think he could have a real shot at a roster spot. I'd like to see a 3-way fight for the #3 WR position between Hurd, Austin, & Amendola. He has good skills but his height is a drawback to some. Personally, I don't care how tall a guy is but only if he can get separation, run the right route, and catch the dang ball. He has shown that in college but needs to prove that he can do it against NFL DBs now.

DA is accustomed to having to prove himself, to work harder, to take more chances...as I've said, we have no other WR like him on the current roster. He's what Skyler Green would have been for us had he not been overweight and apparently uncommitted to his trade. And Amendola has better skills on top of that...some ppl ignore the technical aspects of the position--they just want to see the 40 time and prop em up against a yardstick. Some of us here better get that Crow marinating because without careful preparation it can be a tough little bugger to digest.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
PosterChild;2167726 said:
DA is accustomed to having to prove himself, to work harder, to take more chances...as I've said, we have no other WR like him on the current roster. He's what Skyler Green would have been for us had he not been overweight and apparently uncommitted to his trade. And Amendola has better skills on top of that...some ppl ignore the technical aspects of the position--they just want to see the 40 time and prop em up against a yardstick. Some of us here better get that Crow marinating because without careful preparation it can be a tough little bugger to digest.

I will gladly eat crow with A-1 sauce if he makes this team.

He's already exceeded my expectations just by showing life on the field.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
CATCH17;2167731 said:
I will gladly eat crow with A-1 sauce if he makes this team.

He's already exceeded my expectations just by showing life on the field.

Agreed. I wouldn't be above saying I was wrong at all on a deal like this. I just need to wait and see what he does when it's in a live preseason game before I start worrying about eating anything.

It's great to look good in TC Practices when you're not really getting tackled or anything. Lets see how he does when it gets to be real.

I mean lets be realistic here. There are plenty of Commanders fans reporting, and going crazy, over how 'red hot' Jason Campbell looks in TC. And he might just be Superman out there at TC. I don't know. But I do know that when it has come to live games that mattered he's more like Clark Kent.

I don't need a TC hero.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Nors;2167754 said:
See Justin Berry-O

Happens every year

Tuck this away for later:

Lemon-Ginger Roasted Crow Ingredients
MARINATED CROW Lengthwise
6 Lemons Salt and Pepper
2 Inches Fresh Gingerroot, 3 Large Crows (can use Ravens
Chopped GLAZED ONIONS
1/2 c Honey 1/3 c Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 c Cooking Oil 2 lb Onions, sliced
1 Stalk Lemongrass, split Lemon Slices

Instructions for Lemon-Ginger Roasted Crow

Marinated Crows: Grate zest from 3 lemons and juice all 6 lemons. In a medium bowl whisk together grated lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger, honey and oil. Add lemongrass. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Split Crows in half lengthwise. Arrange in a single layer in a large plastic bag set in a shallow roasting pan. Pour marinade over them. Tie bag tightly closed, pressing as much marinade as possible up around Crows. Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight, turning bag once.

Roasted Crow: Preheat oven to 375=F8F. Drain Crows, reserving marinade. Discard lemongrass from marinade. Arrange birds skin side up in same baking pan. Pour half the marinade over them. Bake at 375=F8F for 35 minutes. Baste the birds with pan juices. Continue baking 25 minutes until juices run clear when thighs are pierced with a fork.

Season to taste.

Bonappetit !!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nors;2167754 said:
See Justin Berry-O

Happens every year

They are like the human version of that show Jericho that you like.

Here one day gone the next :p:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Didn't Pacman say he was very hard to cover in the slot?

Size is kind of an advantage here as a shorter player is harder to spot on those inside routes...

I hope he makes the team if he is the best man for the job. It sounds like he is catching some eyes...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Why would anyone compare Amendola to Beriault?

There's only one reason I can think of, and it's a very stupid reason.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2167776 said:
Why would anyone compare Amendola to Beriault?

There's only one reason I can think of, and it's a very stupid reason.

Both have unusual last names? :huh:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
For the first time in maybe 7 years, you can make the argument that there is real competition at the wide receiver position from #2 to #5. If you take for granted that Terrell and Crayton are your #1 and #2 receivers, Amendola could fall anywhere between #3 and off the roster.

If he does make the team, he has to play special teams.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
get off the size thing already.....sometimes coaches can be their worst enemy. Instead of going after a football player, they go after this protypical image, and tend to find a lot of busts along the way.

Chrebet, Moss, Moss, Steve Smith, Welker...the list goes on and on about midgets who can play WR and be successful.

For me, I put my money on a guy who busts his butt, shows all the instincts, and just gets the job done everywhere he has been....HS, College, etc...His size isn't going to keep him off my team, if he can show he is a producer.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Nors;2167754 said:
See Justin Berry-O

Happens every year

Differences is Amendola is the next jery rice
blink.gif
(yah that was a huge gigantic titanic reach)

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Biggems;2167805 said:
get off the size thing already.....sometimes coaches can be their worst enemy. Instead of going after a football player, they go after this protypical image, and tend to find a lot of busts along the way.

Chrebet, Moss, Moss, Steve Smith, Welker...the list goes on and on about midgets who can play WR and be successful.

For me, I put my money on a guy who busts his butt, shows all the instincts, and just gets the job done everywhere he has been....HS, College, etc...His size isn't going to keep him off my team, if he can show he is a producer.

Which Moss are you refuring to? the Moss brothers i'm guessing

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
If he doesn't make the team, I am sure he will land somewhere and score a winning TD on us sometime in the future...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The only way he makes this roster is if the Cowboys keep six receivers. If not, he will be assigned to the practice squad and then probably picked up by another team. TO and Crayton are the starters, and I highly doubt he is going to beat out Hurd, Austin, or Stanback.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
ghosttown cowboy;2167816 said:
If he doesn't make the team, I am sure he will land somewhere and score a winning TD on us sometime in the future...

The next Jimmy Smith? You guys crack me up.:lmao:

Ren

Reaction score
Nors;2167754 said:
See Justin Berry-O

Happens every year

quite possibly the worst comparison you can make, are you saying Amendola will have a carer ending injury some time soon? cause that's why Berry-o is out of the league