He's No Underdog. Amendola Has Strong Shot At Roster Spot

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2168047 said:
I don't believe Austin can go to the practice squad. He's been in the league too many years.......but as usual I could be wrong.

I figured he was close, I don't know what the limit is. Either way, for Danny to make the team, Austin would be gone unless they keep six receivers. Considering they have been talking about picking up another QB, that QB would take the sixth receiver's spot.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;2168056 said:
I figured he was close, I don't know what the limit is. Either way, for Danny to make the team, Austin would be gone unless they keep six receivers. Considering they have been talking about picking up another QB, that QB would take the sixth receiver's spot.

I want to say the limit is 3 yrs in the league but I'm not certain.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2167999 said:
Because of what I said in my previous post. Beriault also played on the other side of the ball, but that doesn't mean comparisons can't be drawn between the two.

Again, where is your beef with the Amendola-Welker comparisons? I'm pretty sure Welker made the team too. :LOL
How about writing up a list of the things that Amendola and Beriault have in common and then write a list of what Amendola and Welker have in common.

aikemirv

Reaction score
nyc;2167963 said:
Well, it's either six receivers on the roster or Austin or him go to the practice squad. Austin will hit the practice squad before Stanback will. Stanback is like Pacman with the ball in his hands. I (and I'm sure they) will take that over pure speed.

I don't think Austin is eligible for the practice squad anymore and if you put him there BP would snatch him up before you could say boo!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
PosterChild;2167695 said:
Every year, for any team at training camp there are quite a few undrafted hopefuls vying for a roster spot and steals the spotlight.

One Texas native follows that storyline this year for the Cowboys, former Texas Tech wide receiver Danny Amendola.

Several reports indicate Amendola has a strong shot a making the team.

Girls, girls! Show some decorum. It's the first week of camp.
Mein gott, why don't you just form an "I love Amendola/He's the Greatest" fan club.

:)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2167972 said:
If you're suggesting it's because they're both white, why are you not calling out those people comparing him to Wes Welker?

I can think of a number of reasons to compare to Beriault. Namely, both are guys who came in under the radar with little chance to make the team, but because of their energy and work-ethic, are making names for themselves in TC.

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. Other than skin color, what does Amendola have in common with Beriault?

And why did Beriault have little chance of making the team? He was a 6th round pick that Kiper said was a great value at that spot. Amendola wasn't even drafted.

Seriously, if either Amendola or JB weren't white, would there be *any* similarity between them?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He is on showing some of the playbook to norm and explaining it!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2167776 said:
Why would anyone compare Amendola to Beriault?

There's only one reason I can think of, and it's a very stupid reason.

I can see a comparison based on their popularity during training camp. They both seem to have polarized fans...in Beriaults case, his supporters were proven to be justified, only to be disappointed when his knee gave out for good. Amendola doesn't have any injury concerns.

cowboys2233;2167972 said:
If you're suggesting it's because they're both white, why are you not calling out those people comparing him to Wes Welker?

I can think of a number of reasons to compare to Beriault. Namely, both are guys who came in under the radar with little chance to make the team, but because of their energy and work-ethic, are making names for themselves in TC.

Danny Amendola  5-11, 190

What he’s done: Caught a lot of passes at Texas Tech.
Ceiling: He’s often compared to former Red Raiders star Wes Welker, so if he’s anything close to Welker, then Amendola could have a great career.
Reality: Welkers don’t grow on trees, and Amendola has a long way to go before he belongs in that conversation. On the high end, he’s a future slot receiver and a major pest. He has a good chance of making the team, but making an impact might be a year or two down the road.
What he said: "It’s an honor to be compared to Wes. My No. 1 goal is to emulate what he did."

Yeah, its foolish to compare the two. :rolleyes:

I hate the comparison as much as the next guy, but it IS merited.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2168115 said:
Ima start calling Amendola the great white hype.

How creative. Maybe you could make that your sig, you know, to show people how creative you are.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2168081 said:
Seriously, if either Amendola or JB weren't white, would there be *any* similarity between them?

We're just tired of the corporate machine keeping the white man down!

cowboys2233

Reaction score
tomson75;2168101 said:
anny Amendola  5-11, 190

What he said: "It’s an honor to be compared to Wes. My No. 1 goal is to emulate what he did."

Yeah, its foolish to compare the two. :rolleyes:

I hate the comparison as much as the next guy, but it IS merited.

Of course comparsions can be drawn between these two. My original point was that comparisons can also be drawn between Beriault and Amendola without resorting to playing the race card. Both are guys showing (or showed) great hustle in TC and are getting noticed because of it.

Posters who want to point out that Beriault was drafted (albeit in the 6th round) and Amendola was not drafted as their defense for why it is ludricous to draw any comparisons between the two should also note that Wes Welker is a Pro-Bowl caliber NFL receiver now, while Amendola is an unproven FA still trying to make his first NFL team. This works both ways you know.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
tomson75;2168127 said:
How creative. Maybe you could make that your sig, you know, to show people how creative you are.

No, if he were truly creative he'd have unicorns and rainbows in his avatar.

:D

cowboys2233

Reaction score
tomson75;2168101 said:
I can see a comparison based on their popularity during training camp. They both seem to have polarized fans...in Beriaults case, his supporters were proven to be justified, only to be disappointed when his knee gave out for good. Amendola doesn't have any injury

Good, then you support my point that the fact that their both white is not the only reason to compare the two players. Glad we're on the same track! :D

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2168193 said:
Good, then you support my point that the fact that their both white is not the only reason to compare the two players. Glad we're on the same track! :D

I'm not sure how I feel about that. :mad: :cool: :D

cowboys2233

Reaction score
tomson75;2168199 said:
I'm not sure how I feel about that. :mad: :cool: :D

In all fairness, I did suggest that Beriault was an underdog to make the final roster heading into camp and I could be wrong about that. I have no idea what the success rate is for 6th round draft choices. But I just remember a lot of people rooting for Beriault and it had a whole underdog kind of quality about it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2168207 said:
In all fairness, I did suggest that Beriault was an underdog to make the final roster heading into camp and I could be wrong about that. I have no idea what the success rate is for 6th round draft choices. But I just remember a lot of people rooting for Beriault and it had a whole underdog kind of quality about it.

He was an underdog in many ways, but he was drafted at a time when we desperately needed help at safety, and the fans knew it. Fans, including myself loved his 'blue collar' style...not the fastest or strongest, but he made plays. Then the damn comparisons came....'he's the next Bill Bates, he's the next Lynch'....which then of course led to the 'race' thing...then the polarization of fans.

...all in all, he was an easy guy to root for, or against. Much like what is happening with Amendola.

Only I don't understand why a Cowboy fan would openly dismiss a player trying to make his team just because he's an UDFA, or he's bringing up the comparison problem. While it is annoying, it shouldn't reflect directly on the player. By all counts, Amendola is saying, and doing, all of the right things.