Hey Nors--Some Ty Law news!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
silver said:
The Postons are like the kiss of death. all of these guys were lost to injury at one point or another. Winslow and Rogers are close to being considered busts. Maybe is just a damned coincidence
Re Winslow and Rogers...the contract negotiations of top round draft picks is largely formulaic...whatever last year's got plus the consensual annual increase. It's pretty much pro forma.

Only greed could force a hold-out or ineptitude a blooper...some folks on this board could handle those negotiations.

It will be interesting to see how the post -injury Winslow give-back will affect the Poston client base. With these clowns, I suspect the wording of Kellen's clause was not as client advantageous as it could have been.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
The Postons have also been reprimanded by the NFLPA for not acting in the best interest of their clients.
So. So has Scott Boras, Leigh Steinbergh and amny other agents............

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I hope I am not stating something that is sensitive, but has it ever occurred to anyone that the Postons, due to their "influential minority" status appeal to the thug element? They are brash and flashy and sometimes that culture is impressed by that type of behavior.
You are an idiot for making this statement. I hope I am not being too brash.

If I begin to list the Charities, education, camps etc that many of the Poston Clients have you ignorance and idiocy will shine through.

Once again you protray your lack of knowledge in this conversation.

Have nice day, better yet get educated before you speak on certain issues. It's insulting on the highest level to insinuate that the Postons appeal to a thug element. Especailly when you prefix your statement with "Influential minority.

I'd expect more common sense from a 40 year old person.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I hope I am not stating something that is sensitive, but has it ever occurred to anyone that the Postons, due to their "influential minority" status appeal to the thug element? They are brash and flashy and sometimes that culture is impressed by that type of behavior.

I don't know who they appeal to, but their ineptitude does "minorities" no service.

Unfortunately, we are still societally at the stage where women and minorities are under-represented in some fields..and therefore 'represent' our gender or race in a way white males do not.

When Jimmy Sexton goofs on a contract, no one says "geez, a white male agent. What did you expect?" Jimmy Sexton's bloopers are not extended collectively.

The Postons keep messing up, and unfortunately, they set folks back.

They're "influential" all right..in the wrong direction.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I don't know who they appeal to, but their ineptitude does "minorities" no service.

Unfortunately, we are still societally at the stage where women and minorities are under-represented in some fields..and therefore 'represent' our gender or race in a way white males do not.

When Jimmy Sexton goofs on a contract, no one says "geez, a white male agent. What did you expect?" Jimmy Sexton's bloopers are not extended collectively.

The Postons keep messing up, and unfortunately, they set folks back.

They're "influential" all right..in the wrong direction.
What ineptitude???

Please give some examples?

Every Agent has a rotten apple.....the Postons have Pace

Who else????...........

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Charles said:
What ineptitude???

Please give some examples?

Every Agent has a rotten apple.....the Postons have Pace

Who else????...........
ARRINGTON, Charles.

How many millions did they cost that man by not READING the CONTRACT they initialed, page by page, having no clue what was freaking ON the pages?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
That's their side of the story

It is LaVar and his agents contention that the Danny/ Skins switched the contracts that the Postons had negotiated. See the article above. If it was incompetence then why are they having arbitrations.

I believe those who make this list know more about Influential minnorities than either of us. Therefore it's your opinion versus that of a reputable agency. We are all entitled.

I am pretty sure that they have ADMITTED to not reading the final contract....that is being inept as an agent you should know EVERYTHING in that contract for your client before they sign it. PERIOD!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
As for Milloy..this wasn't ineptitude as much putting their own interests before his.

Yes, the Pats are going to want to pay less than market value..look at Bruschi, Brown, etc. But Lawyer's stats, his tackles and picks, were way down that year...Harrison had been brought in, and the offer to Milloy was within reason. Milloy was every bit as loved in this town as Bruschi is...there was mega goodwill to keep him in NE ...and at a fair price to a saftely on the decline of his career.

But the Postons were about establishing THEIR rep, before the good of the clients.

They blinked, not Mumbles.

Not just inept, but out for themselves.

Climbing up the heap on the backs of their clients..

that's why I can't stand them.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
ARRINGTON, Charles.

How many millions did they cost that man by not READING the CONTRACT they initialed, page by page, having no clue what was freaking ON the pages?

BrAinPaiNt said:
I am pretty sure that they have ADMITTED to not reading the final contract....that is being inept as an agent you should know EVERYTHING in that contract for your client before they sign it. PERIOD!

The Skins word against theirs we'll see who wins in abitration

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_39/b3901094.htm

Still, controversy dogs the Postons with each new deal. Commanders star linebacker LaVar Arrington, another client, is ensnared in an arbitration over whether the team negotiated one contract and then -- unbeknownst to Carl, he says -- slipped Arrington another to sign, minus a $6.5 million bonus. "If the agent admits he didn't read the contract, that's worrisome," says one player rep who asked not to be named. Carl says he's confident that Arrington will prevail in the arbitration. Arrington stands by the Postons.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Charles said:
The Skins word against theirs we'll see who wins in abitration

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_39/b3901094.htm

Still, controversy dogs the Postons with each new deal. Commanders star linebacker LaVar Arrington, another client, is ensnared in an arbitration over whether the team negotiated one contract and then -- unbeknownst to Carl, he says -- slipped Arrington another to sign, minus a $6.5 million bonus. "If the agent admits he didn't read the contract, that's worrisome," says one player rep who asked not to be named. Carl says he's confident that Arrington will prevail in the arbitration. Arrington stands by the Postons.

Good luck, Lavar!!! :laugh2:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I never thought I'd see the day that someone would defend the Postons.

The Postons also cost Winslow a signficant amount of cash by blundering his rookie contract (not the motorcycle bit, but the bonus related to PT being rolled over to the next season).

Woo, boy, it has been a rough go for the controversial super agent duo of Kevin and Carl Poston. Owners of Professional Sports Planning, Inc., the Poston brothers watched star client and San Francisco 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson go down last week with a season-ending Achilles injury. For the Postons, that's the third major client in five weeks to suffer a significant injury. Detroit wide receiver Charles Rogers (broken collarbone) is out for the year, and Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (broken leg) may miss the rest of the season. Two others, Washington linebacker LaVar Arrington and Buffalo safety Lawyer Milloy also have had injury problems.
"There's no joy in seeing players getting hurt, but I'm not crying for [the Postons]," one AFC executive said. "Good luck finding someone who has a sympathetic view of it."

The injuries to their talent stable only has added to a stinging 2004 for the Postons, who have a history of being ripped by NFL general managers for their hard-line negotiating. Among the other highly publicized problems for the Postons in recent months: a contract blunder that could cost Arrington a $6.5 million roster bonus; a public bout of acrimony with the Cleveland Browns over Winslow's rookie contract negotiations; an offseason contract blowup by New England Patriots cornerback Ty Law; high-profile training camp holdouts by Peterson, Winslow, Oakland Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson and St. Louis Rams tackle Orlando Pace.

A bad run? It gets worse.

Pace fired the Postons in September, and the injuries to Peterson and Winslow are threatening to create serious financial havoc. Peterson was playing this season under a one-year contract as the team's franchise player. Now the Achilles injury has wiped out his leverage for a major long-term deal this season, with the 49ers already removing a six-year $37.8 million deal (with a $15.5 million signing bonus) they had offered before training camp. Now it looks like Peterson will be faced with two choices: Take a hit on a long-term deal or sign another one-year contract to prove he can bounce back in 2005 and warrant a big payday.

As for Winslow, he's likely to miss out on a one-time $5.4 million incentive package that was predicated on meeting at least one of 10 very reachable performance bonuses in his contract. But even if his broken leg heals quickly and he returns (we're hearing a miracle could push it to late November), he still is unlikely to meet even the easiest thresholds – taking part in 35 percent of the team's total offensive snaps or catching 41 passes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-satwalkthrough101604&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
As for Milloy..this wasn't ineptitude as much putting their own interests before his.

Yes, the Pats are going to want to pay less than market value..look at Bruschi, Brown, etc. But Lawyer's stats, his tackles and picks, were way down that year...Harrison had been brought in, and the offer to Milloy was within reason. Milloy was every bit as loved in this town as Bruschi is...there was mega goodwill to keep him in NE ...and at a fair price to a saftely on the decline of his career.

But the Postons were about establishing THEIR rep, before the good of the clients.

They blinked, not Mumbles.

Not just inept, but out for themselves.

Climbing up the heap on the backs of their clients..

that's why I can't stand them.
Milloy still made the Pro Bowl that year.

That was Laywer Milloy call not to take a pay cut. He needed the Postons to push the envelope. The Patriots are known for being cheap.

The Postons did their job and got him a great deal with the Buffalo Bills.

How exactly does that make them inept. Get past the fluff LTN.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Good luck, Lavar!!! :laugh2:
Parcell's euphuism "Boxers always laugh when they are hurt".

The Poston's not reading the contract is a cliche thrown around by the mediots and some fans to justify their opinion.

The truth will come through after the abitration..........

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
I never thought I'd see the day that someone would defend the Postons.
Yeah it makes you wonder if anyone actually knows what going......... on other than what the mediots spew.
junk said:
The Postons also cost Winslow a signficant amount of cash by blundering his rookie contract (not the motorcycle bit, but the bonus related to PT being rolled over to the next season).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-satwalkthrough101604&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Get your facts straight:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28490&page=3&pp=15

Sometimes they don't do too badly. This season, for example, PSP negotiated a six-year $40 million deal, including a $16.5 million signing bonus, for tight end Winslow, the No. 6 pick in the NFL draft. That's a sweeter package than three of the players drafted before Winslow were able to land

They didn't blunder his rookie contract. Infact he got more money than guys who went before him. Winslow broke his leg rookie season thus losing money due to PT.

It was clearly stated in your yahoo like, but it appears your comprehension skills went out the window. Winslow got injured, the Postons can't control injuries. They didn't blunder the contract .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Charles said:
You are an idiot for making this statement. I hope I am not being too brash.

Explain, please.

Do the Postons represent white clients? Or do they specifically target certain sub-segments of the draft talent base, specifically the thug mentality I alluded to?

Take a look at their client list. I don't see many Emmitt Smiths, Darren Woodsons, and Warrick Dunns.

I see alot of Shawne Merrimans, Lavar Arringtons, Kellen Winslows and Ty Laws. Most of whom are not recognized for their abundance of class and decorum.

If I begin to list the Charities, education, camps etc that many of the Poston Clients have you ignorance and idiocy will shine through.

What do charities, camps and the like have to do with them appealing to the thug contingency?

Lots of these players give back to their communities and visit schools. It is public relations and in many cases. I don't see how the Postons would be any different.

Sorry, but the acts of altruism you are hinting at here don't really apply.

Once again you protray your lack of knowledge in this conversation.

Have nice day, better yet get educated before you speak on certain issues. It's insulting on the highest level to insinuate that the Postons appeal to a thug element. Especailly when you prefix your statement with "Influential minority.

I'd expect more common sense from a 40 year old person.

It was a simple question. And apologies if you take offense.

But take a good look at who they represent.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Charles said:
Milloy still made the Pro Bowl that year.

That was Laywer Milloy call not to take a pay cut. He needed the Postons to push the envelope. The Patriots are known for being cheap.

The Postons did their job and got him a great deal with the Buffalo Bills.

How exactly does that make them inept. Get past the fluff LTN.
It wasn't such a 'greater deal' than the Pats offered, and which came with two more rings.

It's up to Milloy himself to decide if it was 'worth it', but up here in NE, it's pretty much the consensus that Law and Milloy firing their long time agents to hire the Postons set up a chain of events, incivility, intransigence, and bridge-burning that inevitably led to both being out of here.

These guys are NOT good negotiators.Good negotiators get you what you want, or close to it, without having to leave the place you profess to love. Milloy didn't get screwed like Winslow and Lavar did, or have to backtrack like Pace, but when you consider the incredible amount of goodwill there was for him here, and for keeping him here, then you understand just how stupid an agent has to be not to 'work' it.

The Postons don't 'work' the goodwill a player has built up, they destroy it. Goodwill, 'fluffy' as it might be in legal terms, is tangible enough when it matters. It's the foundation of good business sense, and top agents like Steinberg and even Rosenhaus, tough as they are, are always loathe to diminish it. It benefits your clients to have it with the folks you negotiate with.

Since you're a fan of the Postons, how about leaving off your "fluff", and laying down the specifics of the contacts they DID do a good job on.

That I'd love to see.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Charles said:
The Poston's not reading the contract is a cliche thrown around by the mediots and some fans to justify their opinion.

LOL!

I've gotta go to work..can someone pull up one of the countless articles in which the Postons ADMITTED they didn't read what they were initialing. :banghead:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Explain, please.

Do the Postons represent white clients? Or do they specifically target certain sub-segments of the draft talent base, specifically the thug mentality I alluded to?

Take a look at their client list. I don't see many Emmitt Smiths, Darren Woodsons, and Warrick Dunns.

I see alot of Shawne Merrimans, Lavar Arringtons, Kellen Winslows and Ty Laws. Most of whom are not recognized for their abundance of class and decorum.

What do charities, camps and the like have to do with them appealing to the thug contingency?

Lots of these players give back to their communities and visit schools. It is public relations and in many cases. I don't see how the Postons would be any different.

Do you know what a thug is?????

You are not worth the time. Once again have a nice day better yet .........get educated.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Explain, please.

Alexander, I think you're wrong on this point.

I do not think they target 'thugs' at all, or that 'thugs' are most attracted to their representation. (btw, Ty Law is NO thug.)

I think their "promise" that they will get their clients the top contract at their position WAS their initial attraction, and apparently they did have some early successes. Now they're living on whatever past glory they accrued.

But the Postons are not more responsible for subsequent actions by their clients than Drew Rosenhaus is for representing Sean Taylor.

And if agents are going to be required to do character investigations, or make character a litmus test, before they take on clients, they will set the entire legal profession on it rear. :)

later