Hey Nors--Some Ty Law news!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Ok, Charles. Here was a quickly pulled up Peter King column on just that issue. I will take into consdieration King has his head so far up Kraft and Mumbles backsides that his opinion on the value of the rings/endoresements over the money is moot. It's up to Milloy to decide that. But King does give a sense of how much more Milloy got....which of course, is gonna be a whole lot better than poor Ty does.

Much more than money
Patriots choose championships over big paydays
Posted: Tuesday February 8, 2005 5:56PM;
Updated: Tuesday February 8, 2005 11:19PM

Tedy Bruschi signed a four-year contract worth $8.1 milllion last offseason.

Lawyer Milloy looks like such a fool today.

Remember when Milloy, the former New England safety now playing for the Bills, told Boston radio station WEEI how the Patriots had such a good thing going with players hypnotically following Bill Belichick like he was Jim Jones, taking less money to stay in New England instead of making bigger paydays elsewhere? "Some of those guys, I think, are underpaid," Milloy said. "It's always been a team thing getting thrown around there, but if some of those guys would test the market, being a champion, they could really go out there and make top dollar. But for some reason, they want to stay.''

For some reason, they want to stay.

That Milloyism is why so many people are turned off to pro sports today. And the New England Patriots' clear rejection of that Milloyism is why so many people from Bangor to Bakersfield -- not just in greater Boston -- love this team right now. The Patriots win, and they win right. Milloy's inference is clear: He is happier being on a team hovering around .500 making more money than he would be on a team winning two straight Super Bowls and making, say, 30 percent less. That is nothing to be embarrassed about. In fact, many athletes would do it, and do it every day. But here's where Milloy's a fool: By mocking his teammates for staying, he's saying that the right way to go about your business is my way, and my way is taking the money, not the Super Bowls.

"You can't feed your families off of Super Bowl rings,'' Milloy said. "The more they focus on, 'We don't have any stars' and all that, the more you get overlooked as far as individual accolades and contracts.''

In the last two years, since signing a four-year, $15-million contract with Buffalo, Milloy has made $9.75 million in total. Had he stayed with the Patriots and taken a pay cut, he'd have earned maybe $6.5 million in these two years -- plus, of course, playoff money, and whatever additional money he'd have made in appearances and endorsements by being a three-time Super Bowl winner. Just guessing, but I'd put that extra income at $750,000 over two years. So Milloy, by playing in Buffalo, by my math, has earned $2.5 million more than he'd have made by staying in New England.

Which would you rather do: Make $9.75 million by being on a 15-17 team or make $7.25 million by being on a 34-4 team, with two Super Bowl wins and the pride and exultations that comes with being a key player on the best football team on the planet?

Tedy Bruschi could have had a similar choice this offseason. But last spring, he negotiated his own deal with the Patriots, a four-year, $8.1-million deal, to stay in New England through 2007. I asked him if, knowing what he knew now -- that he'd have made maybe double that on the open market had he played his contract out -- whether he sometimes thinks he made the wrong decision by signing, or whether he thinks he did the right thing.

"Both,'' he said. His honesty surprised me. "I'd be lying if I told you I didn't think about what I could make in free agency after this season. I still think about it. But I love being on this team. I wanted to stay. And I'm happy I'm staying.''

Bruschi will go down in Boston sports history as a big-game player for a championship team, maybe even a sports legend like a John Havlicek. Milloy will go down as a good player who, in the end, chose money over the prospect of more Super Bowls. To each his own. If I ran a team, you can guess which one I'd want as my defensive captain.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
What part do you not get?

IF the postons and Lavar are claiming the contract was switched it still makes no difference because as Lavar's agents they should have read the contract, initialed it and then had Lavar sign it right then and there.......they did not do that.

They were under the gun on other things and just assumed the contract was ok and Lavar signed it.

So EVEN IF the Commanders switched the contract as you and the postons claim...they STILL SHOULD HAVE READ IT FIRST before Lavar Signed it.

Legally Arrington may have a legal leg to stand on IF he can establish intent all along was a $6.5M Bonus and it was a "mistake". Intent of both parties come into play. Legally there are ways to prove intent.....

My take is a settlement.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
Legally Arrington may have a legal leg to stand on IF he can establish intent all along was a $6.5M Bonus and it was a "mistake". Intent of both parties come into play. Legally there are ways to prove intent.....

My take is a settlement.
Unfortunately, with the tightness of the Skins cap situation, there is no room for a settlement.

Even if Snyder cared more about keeping Lavar happy than the 65 mil, his hands are tied. Unless he wanted to go the 9ers route, and cheat, that is.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
I don't know - that's pretty loose regarding intent, but you might be right. It seems to me that there's alot of negotiating that goes one (maybe not w/ the Postons :)) and numbers change back and forth.

For instance...

Player wants $5M/5Yrs with a $10M SB. (Total Comp $35M)
Team Offers $6M/5Yrs with a $5M SB (Total Comp $35M)

Say that player agrees to this contract - what's to say that he does think the team owes him a $10M SB because it was in a previous contract discussion? To me, it all comes down to the actual contract that was signed and submitted to the league. It's all there in black and white with the I's dotted and the T's crossed.

I'll be really shocked if LaVar gets anything from the arbitration...but then again I also didn't think TO would win his arbitration either.

Thats exactly how I won my lawsuit case, we had made a deal that went back and forth for weeks. In this example lets say we had a version of the contract stating an $8M Bonus. I had 2 or 3 e-mails bantering on that with a reply - OK - We agree to pay a $6.5M Bonus. Under a same day filing an error was made on contract signed - HAPPENS. In litigation we won and in fact never went to judgement as we settled on intent of both parties in deal.

This sounds like a major disjoint in what they thought they agreed to, I'd be suprised if Arrington doesn't win. If not - Postons are indeed buffoons.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
Thats exactly how I won my lawsuit case, we had made a deal that went back and forth for weeks. In this example lets say we had a version of the contract stating an $8M Bonus. I had 2 or 3 e-mails bantering on that with a reply - OK - We agree to pay a $6.5M Bonus. Under a same day filing an error was made on contract signed - HAPPENS. In litigation we won and in fact never went to judgement as we settled on intent of both parties in deal.

This sounds like a major disjoint in what they thought they agreed to, I'd be suprised if Arrington doesn't win. If not - Postons are indeed buffoons.
I'd be surprised if the buffoons do win.

Apparently there is nothing on paper, or emails, to support Lavar's claims.
Bummer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Let me just say this about the Postons and it didn't come from any "mediot" with an imaginary agenda to get them.

Last year at the Draft Bill Parcells pretty much said he wanted nothing to do with them and that is as nice as it can be said.

In other words, no matter how hard they may work for their clients they are hurting them as well. Doors are closed to their clients and the golden door of them all is Dallas. This is where the spotlight shines the brightest. Sorry to all the opposing team's fans but it is a fact.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Ian Gold. I seem to recall something about how the Postons punked him too.

I think Gold canned them?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
A.........B...........C. If it thats simple then Why is the NFL even entertaining this issue with an abitration?

This isn't you everyday mom and pops contract, where every page is initialed or where the agent has to be present when it is signed.

You have no clue what the Postons were doing or what they assumed.

The facts are no one knows what really happened but YOU chose to believe the story printed in the media by those who don't favor the Postons.

I chose to look at the situation from both angles. Recognize and understand each parties argument and reserve judgement until after the abitration. I don't jump to conclusion like you did based on a biased opinion formualted by the sports media who don't even know half of the truth or what really happened.

Get real BP. The questions still stands.

Why is the NFLPA and NFL still holding an arbitration on July 18th.

Why did the NFL keep pushing back the abitration date if it was as simple as A B C

Why did the Commanders try and resolve the situation

I know that the Poston's didn't read the finall draft because of the looming deadline, but that didn't stop the NFLPA from helping LaVar file for abitration, because the Commanders set a bad precendence if they infact removed a portion of the agreed Contract prior to LaVar signature.

This isn't about the Postons and their over sight. It is much bigger.

Take off you Poston hate glasses and wait until the ruling.............

gotta go later.

There is arbitration to see if the Skins screwed them over....but it still does not change the fact that IF the postons did their job and read the contract before they let Arrington signed then this would not be a problem right now.

See...that is the part you are missing....you are so tuned into the idea that the skins screwed arrington that you are missing that even if the skins did indeed switch the contract...It was still the postons job to read the contract before letting arrington sign it.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:

My take is a settlement.

You are not catching my point...

Once again even if the Skins come out and flat out admit they altered the contract to screw arrington out of money......the Postons should have been there to read and double check that contract before letting their client sign.

No matter how this turns out, whether it be in favor of arrington or the skins....the Postons are to blame because all of this mess could have been avoided if they simply sat down, went over the contract and then handed it to Arrington and said it is what we agreed to go ahead and sign it.

But they have conceded that they did not read the contract.

I really have no interest in who wins or loses the case....I have no interest in what the legalities of the case may be....I am just saying this whole mess could have been avoided if they, the postons, just would have did their jobs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
There is arbitration to see if the Skins screwed them over....but it still does not change the fact that IF the postons did their job and read the contract before they let Arrington signed then this would not be a problem right now.

See...that is the part you are missing....you are so tuned into the idea that the skins screwed arrington that you are missing that even if the skins did indeed switch the contract...It was still the postons job to read the contract before letting arrington sign it.
:hammer:

Why have an agent otherwise?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Then you are delusional to think that this is the way all contracts are done in the NFL.

Teams, agents and players act on good faith. Presence of all parties is not required to complete contracts. Players sign faxed contracts while on vacation in different parts of the world and they don't necesssarily have to go through the agent office or hands. The parameters are set by the agent and the team the team then draws up the contract form a standarded template.

Agents negotiate contracts via e-mail, conference calls, video conference etc. The terms are agreed upon and agents don't have to initial every single page for every contract.

That is point you seem to be missing.

It is the Poston's contention that they agreed to a contract that was changed before it reached their clients hands. Just because the Postons didn't use your idea or notion of how a ccontract should be done doesn't mean they are incompetent. They are very successful lawyers.

I think it's quite possible you couldn't last a day in their arena with your limited knowledge of how an NFL contract is consumated.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Charles said:
Agents negotiate contracts via e-mail, conference calls, video conference etc. The terms are agreed upon and agents don't have to initial every single page for every contract.

But they DID initial every page of this one. They just failed to read them. That was reported, and conceded by the Postons.

On none of the pages was any mention of the 6.5 Lavar thought he was getting.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
Then you are delusional to think that this is the way all contracts are done in the NFL.

Teams, agents and players act on good faith. Presence of all parties is not required to complete contracts. Players sign faxed contracts while on vacation in different parts of the world and they don't necesssarily have to go through the agent office or hands. The parameters are set by the agent and the team the team then draws up the contract form a standarded template.

It is the Poston's contention that they agreed to a contract that was changed before it reached their clients hands. Just because the Postons didn't use your idea or notion of how a ccontract should be done doesn't mean they are incompetent. They are very successful lawyers.

I think it's quite possible you couldn't last a day in their arena with your limited knowledge of how an NFL contract is consumated.

And because of the way they did it....there client is going to a hearing vs the skins front office.....no matter how much you defend them...that is the facts.

If this was done correctly from the get go, the would not be going to arbutration right now.

Fight facts all you want...but it won't change the matter. :rolleyes:

Futhermore I am not an agent...however the POSTONS ARE agents and they screwed up.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
But they DID initial every page of this one. They just failed to read them. That was reported, and conceded by the Postons.

Quit with the facts...they do not pertain to the river denial. :laugh1: ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Well, I gotta admit the long long discussion of this on Extremeskins was hilarious.

For generating this particular debacle, my props to the Postons. :)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Charles said:

You bring up a very good point. And I'll add one thing to the mix too. The contract may be in the Commanders' favor and they probably have a strong legal leg to stand on. But the reality is that these two parties have to live and work together, and if the Skins really did make promises to LeVar that the contract doesn't reflect, then some compromise will have to be reached to avoid seriously bad blood.

I have contracts with all of my clients, and if I wanted to, I could sneak some seriously underhanded stuff into them, knowing that 90% of them don't read the whole thing. They trust what I tell them. So when it came right down to it, I could fall back on "Well, it's in your contract." But since you have to work together and co-exist, you don't do something like that, regardless of whether or not you can get away with it.

In the end, only LeVar and the Skins know for sure what was promised (unless there's some other documentation yet unrevealed). Someone is lying here, and if it's the Skins, then they'll either need to make a consession or part ways with LeVar.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

BrAinPaiNt said:

So what.

I never stated that the Poston's didn't conceed that point.

I state initialing and signing every page of an NFL contract isn't the end all be all.

What you guys need to do is to take your Poston hate glasses off and look at the big picture.

LaVar in good faith decided to rework his contract so give the Commanders cap room to make moves in the Off-season. This wasn't a new contract, but just an extension or rework of the current contract to help his team improve.

LaVar will even have an NFL General Managers testify on his behalf bringing into question some past deals done by the Commanders capologist.

If the issue was the Poston's ineptitude then Danny Snyder wouldn't be trying to come reach an agreement. Gene Upshaw wouldn't be having meeting with Snyder.

LaVar filed the grievance as an individual but the NFLPA is assisting.

The Postons are getting flak for trying to buck the status quo. Every little over sight or miscue will be over blown to justify the prevailing opinion that they are inept, while in reality they are very successful lawyers and business men.

junk said:

Kellen Winslow was sweeter than 3 players picked before him. The Postons gave up some Normal Playing incentives to sweeten the deal. it called business. Winslow agreed to the contract. It's not the Postons fault Winslow broke his leg or crashed his bike.

The Postons are bucking the status quo. The challenging the NFL medevial salary structure.

I am not surprised by the opinions on this issue.

Clarett got it

The basketball player in the 80's got it.

Leigh Steinbergh got it in late 80's and early 90's.

:eek::

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Danny White said:
You bring up a very good point. And I'll add one thing to the mix too. The contract may be in the Commanders' favor and they probably have a strong legal leg to stand on. But the reality is that these two parties have to live and work together, and if the Skins really did make promises to LeVar that the contract doesn't reflect, then some compromise will have to be reached to avoid seriously bad blood.

I have contracts with all of my clients, and if I wanted to, I could sneak some seriously underhanded stuff into them, knowing that 90% of them don't read the whole thing. They trust what I tell them. So when it came right down to it, I could fall back on "Well, it's in your contract." But since you have to work together and co-exist, you don't do something like that, regardless of whether or not you can get away with it.

In the end, only LeVar and the Skins know for sure what was promised (unless there's some other documentation yet unrevealed). Someone is lying here, and if it's the Skins, then they'll either need to make a consession or part ways with LeVar.
Great way to end this thread.

Good post.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
So what.

I never stated that the Poston's didn't conceed that point.

Really...well maybe I just misunderstood you the whole time because you kept saying something along the lines of that it just being the media and Commanders saying the admitted they did not read it.

I state initialing and signing every page of an NFL contract isn't the end all be all.

Never said it was the be all end all....but it also goes to point out that they read those sections of the contract and acknowledge it.

What you guys need to do is to take your Poston hate glasses off and look at the big picture.

I would think the poston Love glasses could apply to you as well.

LaVar will even have an NFL General Managers testify on his behalf bringing into question some past deals done by the Commanders capologist.

If the issue was the Poston's ineptitude then Danny Snyder wouldn't be trying to come reach an agreement. Gene Upshaw wouldn't be having meeting with Snyder.

LaVar filed the grievance as an individual but the NFLPA is assisting.

The Postons are getting flak for trying to buck the status quo. Every little over sight or miscue will be over blown to justify the prevailing opinion that they are inept, while in reality they are very successful lawyers and business men.

First off we need to get things straight here...I have no worries or interests, other then either Lavar or the skins get screwed and look bad lol, in the outcome.

The point being it was a bad business deal by the people who are paid to do your business and take care of contracts for you .....aka the postons.

EVEN if the skins did every dirty deed in the world...the postons are paid to protect the player.

Part of that protection is to make sure the contracts are correct.

This one was not....they have admitted not reading the final contract....that right there is not doing your job to protect your client no matter if it is mostly a good faith business in the NFL.

A agent is getting paid GOOD money to make sure contracts are correct....they did not in this case.
Once again even if it is found that Danny and the FO screwed lavar with the intent to be shady.....it still should have had the postons reading the final contract and they have conceded that they did not.

Legally I do not care how this case plays out.....it is the whole idea that a player pays a large portion of money to an agent to make sure his arse is covered and the contracts are the best for him....and they failed him by not reading the final contract.

What is even more silly is the idea that if they are bringing in someone to testify that the Skins have had shady cap moves in the past so they may have done it again....just futher shows the need for Lavar's client to double check things before having him sign.......hard to have a good faith between people...if you show you don't trust them to begin with IMO.