Hi my names Ryan, and I’m here for my crow

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah.

This is also contradictory - if his goal is to gain "respect and acceptance" as a football guy, then he does care about winning. Every player and coach in the NFL has that same attitude too.

Jerry said back in 2010 when questioned about the teams over lack of success that if he wasn't the owner , he would have fired the GM years ago. This is all started with Jimmy Johnson and his staff poking fun at him and snickering behind his back b/c he insisted on being involved with aspects of football he knew little about. Football was not his business or career prior to purchasing the team. So, this whole business with Jerry wanting to make every decision from "socks to jocks" stems from that time where he was trying to prove himself. He didn't feel he got enough credit for helping Jimmy build those teams and he's been hellbent on proving everyone wrong. He didn't set out to implode the team or not compete for super bowls this long. It just evolved into this in large part due to his many bad decisions over a long period of time. Sure he wants to win, but only if he's front and center pulling the strings. That is the caveat.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
refusing to take the steps needed to win.

He hired Bill Parcells, who won two SBs, went to another SB with another team, and went to the AFC Championship with a third team. That's not taking steps to win?

I don't get that people don't understand that JJ wants to win but thinks he's the best gm in the game. When he said that if he'd had a gm that had the record that JJ did lately, he'd have been fired has nothing to do with not wanting to win, he just doesn't want to give up the "glory" of being a SB winning general manager WITHOUT JIMMY JOHNSON.

If JJ is all about money, what's the best way to get more money? Winning SBs. So why would he not try to do that? He can't make more money by not having the team win SBs and not getting in the playoffs and not getting far in the playoffs when the team does make it. The more the team wins, the more fans he gets and the more merchandise he sells, which means more money.

I know, others don't agree, and that's fine. It's a matter of semantics in a lot of ways, and we can't know Jerry's mind. Not ever sure Stephen, etc. know his mind. We're all just giving our opinions, and mine is he does care more about winning than anything else..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He hired Bill Parcells, who won two SBs, went to another SB with another team, and went to the AFC Championship with a third team. That's not taking steps to win?

I don't get that people don't understand that JJ wants to win but thinks he's the best gm in the game. When he said that if he'd had a gm that had the record that JJ did lately, he'd have been fired has nothing to do with not wanting to win, he just doesn't want to give up the "glory" of being a SB winning general manager WITHOUT JIMMY JOHNSON.

If JJ is all about money, what's the best way to get more money? Winning SBs. So why would he not try to do that? He can't make more money by not having the team win SBs and not getting in the playoffs and not getting far in the playoffs when the team does make it. The more the team wins, the more fans he gets and the more merchandise he sells, which means more money.

I know, others don't agree, and that's fine. It's a matter of semantics in a lot of ways, and we can't know Jerry's mind. Not ever sure Stephen, etc. know his mind. We're all just giving our opinions, and mine is he does care more about winning than anything else..

He hired Parcels b/c he wanted a new stadium and the team was mired in 5-11 seasons. Its not exactly a secret. He also undermined Parcels when things started to turn around by signing TO......a player parcels didn't want.

Thats said Jerry is not all about money. He indeed wants to win. BUT, and this is the whole deal, he only wants to win HIS way. Thats a pretty big qualifier for a guy whose shown very little talent for being a GM.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he wouldn't get the new stadium unless the team won, which Parcells was hired to do.

Enough of the argument about Jerry not wanting to win, it's an endless argument...

Well, you can see how Jerry's insistence on his own involvement contradicts the notion that he truly wants to win. If Jerry was "truly" all about winning, he would hire the best and get out of the way.

kskboys

Reaction score

No, it's not. BP was hired specifically so Jerry could get a stadium. It's in the books, a known fact.

Your last sentence: You got this one wrong. Jerry has admitted he's a terrible GM. That means he cares more about being the GM himself than he does about winning.

kskboys

Reaction score
And he wouldn't get the new stadium unless the team won, which Parcells was hired to do.

Enough of the argument about Jerry not wanting to win, it's an endless argument...
It's really not. There is viable proof there are things more important than winning to Jerry. It's not conjecture, it's not opinion, Jerry has proven it himself.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's still a desire to win, too many here say Jerry is only about the $$$. Win, and the money will come, it's not that difficult to understand...
Jerry wants to win. It's not all about the money w/ him, no. However, he refuses to take the necessary steps to win. And he knows it. Which means winning is not at the top of his list.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win. It's not all about the money w/ him, no. However, he refuses to take the necessary steps to win. And he knows it. Which means winning is not at the top of his list.

Let me get this straight, you say he wants to win but won't take steps to win? How would he think he can win without taking steps?

Makes no sense to me, but hey, to each his own. I think he does desperately want to win but is taking the steps HE THINKS will win, but he's just not as football smart as he thinks. As well as not wanting to share the glory. He thinks he can hire people who don't want the limelight and will let JJ have all the credit, but that isn't easy. Not many Clint Murchisons in the country, even Tex Schram wanted, and got, credit for building America's team.

Just more JJ delusion:lmao:

kskboys

Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you say he wants to win but won't take steps to win? How would he think he can win without taking steps?

Makes no sense to me, but hey, to each his own. I think he does desperately want to win but is taking the steps HE THINKS will win, but he's just not as football smart as he thinks. As well as not wanting to share the glory. He thinks he can hire people who don't want the limelight and will let JJ have all the credit, but that isn't easy. Not many Clint Murchisons in the country, even Tex Schram wanted, and got, credit for building America's team.

Just more JJ delusion:lmao:
That's accurate.

However, he does not want to win if the steps that need to be taken include hiring a GM and stepping down. That means winning is not at the top of his list.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
That's accurate.

However, he does not want to win if the steps that need to be taken include hiring a GM and stepping down. That means winning is not at the top of his list.

I don't get how some people don't see this.

Jerry's list.

1. Ego
2.Winning
3. Make money

Jerry doesn't deserve any credit for the three Super Bowls they won during the 90's accept for the part when he hired Jimmy Johnson and let him make all the football decisions. He can't win one on his own and it's driven him to near insanity to prove that he can but he can't. It's rather obvious by now.

Just step down and let the football minds do the work if you care about winning that much. Otherwise, you don't care enough.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I don't get how some people don't see this.

Jerry's list.

1. Ego
2.Winning
3. Make money

Jerry doesn't deserve any credit for the three Super Bowls they won during the 90's accept for the part when he hired Jimmy Johnson and let him make all the football decisions. He can't win one on his own and it's driven him to near insanity to prove that he can but he can't. It's rather obvious by now.

Just step down and let the football minds do the work if you care about winning that much. Otherwise, you don't care enough.
Switch #2 and #3 and you'll be closer. I almost switched money and ego, but they're neck and neck.....money is Jerry's drug, the more he makes, the more he wants........good post though.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Comparing our lives to the life of a billionaire is a reach. Jerry can afford to do what he is doing; our capital does not provide for his type of mistakes. For me, doing what is best means, State Farm versus JoJo's One Stop Insurance and Travel.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Switch #2 and #3 and you'll be closer. I almost switched money and ego, but they're neck and neck.....money is Jerry's drug, the more he makes, the more he wants........good post though.

Funny you mention that. I originally had it in that order but switched it right before I posted. Some in this thread seem to be sensitive when you say that winning isn't very high on Jerry's list so I threw them a little bone.

I haven't had enough to drink yet to get into a debate.

kskboys

Reaction score
Comparing our lives to the life of a billionaire is a reach. Jerry can afford to do what he is doing; our capital does not provide for his type of mistakes. For me, doing what is best means, State Farm versus JoJo's One Stop Insurance and Travel.
I really don't see people doing that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He cares more about establishing himself as a football guy.

Being wrong about players doesn't mean you don't care. Refusing to hire competent personnal to make player decisions means winning is not anywhere near the top of your list.

Jerry knows he needs a football man in charge. So, I guess his left nut wouldn't bring enough?
You dont think Will Clay is a competent personnel guy?

DFWJC

Reaction score
No need, my bud. I was being a jerk. And when I went back to delete it, I just missed the timer :(

I can understand your take, that Jerry cares. I should use more tact and a calmer demeanor, especially when it’s JC. I’m sorry, man. :star::thumbup:
No worries at all brother.