Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4959047 said:
Lovie?

:pray:

I think he deserves a HC job, but I haven't lost hope until he has no job.

Lovie is not going to be an assistant here. He might take a DC job, but he is probably going to TV somewhere. Lovie is not Raheem Morris who will take a position coach role.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4959046 said:
Of course he'll use them. They have been paid, performed and scouted as blue chip prospects and players.

The point is pretty obvious. If this was the direction we were going there is no way on Earth we have the offseason from a year ago. And last year's offseason was so big that it counts for most of this year's offseason too. Tampa 2 teams don't spend big money and big draft picks (top 10) on corners. Tampa spent #7 on a safety. The only other 1st round pick at safety last year was Harrison Smith for the Vikings. That is not an accident.

Tampa 2 teams draft defensive ends and 3 techniques that kill quarterbacks.

Great organizations, even decent ones, have one year's plan relate to the next year's plan and team because we don't get to start over every year and repick all the players.

Brockers and Wagner sounds alot better than Claiborne right now if this is our direction.

Agreed.

Lack of continuity means success is a lot harder to come by as the last 18 years have shown us.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I really hope and dream kiffin somehow knows Kenny norton and brings him in. I'd love for him to be our future d coordinator. Loved him as a player ANd would love him on the sidelines

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
IrishAnto;4959065 said:
Agreed.

Lack of continuity means success is a lot harder to come by as the last 18 years have shown us.

It's funny, a week ago everyone on the board was hopping up and down screaming for changes.

A week later everyone is hoping down and screaming for status quo and continuity.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Yoshimitsu;4959054 said:
You better tell these young whipper snappers. :laugh2:

But seriously our linebacking corps has me salivating in anticipation to what Kiffin will do with them. We still need to upgrade at the d-line but I like the direction the team is going. They are starting to build around Lee/Carter instead of the OLB which is what is most important at 3-4. Hence the change in defensive philosophy. This isn't a swipe at Ware but the reality is he is about to decline in play so it was time to shift who to build around and what our strengths are and that's at MLB. Spencer could walk due to his salary commands. It was time to change.

I honestly can't think of a more perfect fit having Lee as the middle deep backer and Carter's sideline to sideline speed playing underneath. Not sure who the third guy would be, but having those two already is already one problem solved in getting players to mesh.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4959046 said:
Of course he'll use them. They have been paid, performed and scouted as blue chip prospects and players.

The point is pretty obvious. If this was the direction we were going there is no way on Earth we have the offseason from a year ago. And last year's offseason was so big that it counts for most of this year's offseason too. Tampa 2 teams don't spend big money and big draft picks (top 10) on corners. Tampa spent #7 on a safety. The only other 1st round pick at safety last year was Harrison Smith for the Vikings. That is not an accident.

Tampa 2 teams draft defensive ends and 3 techniques that kill quarterbacks.

Great organizations, even decent ones, have one year's plan relate to the next year's plan and team because we don't get to start over every year and repick all the players.

Brockers and Wagner sounds alot better than Claiborne right now if this is our direction.
Ware and Spencer don't kill QBs? I believe no pass rusher is more feared than Ware.

Kiffin's last year in Tampa the #1 pick was a CB, Talib. I believe he was known in college for his physical play.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4959071 said:
It's funny, a week ago everyone on the board was hopping up and down screaming for changes.

A week later everyone is hoping down and screaming for status quo and continuity.

Maybe they're pining for Head Coach Dave Campo still since continuity is the key.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
187beatdown;4959073 said:
I honestly can't think of a more perfect fit having Lee as the middle deep backer and Carter's sideline to sideline speed playing underneath. Not sure who the third guy would be, but having those two already is already one problem solved in getting players to mesh.
For my money, Albright earned his spurs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4959071 said:

You are the most under rated poster on this forum. <--Compliment

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4959059 said:
Rhonde Barber was a physical CB for Kiffin. I am pretty sure he can have CBs jam at the LOS and play in his schemes. Just as I am pretty sure that a man who invented the most successful Zone can teach smart guys how to play in it.

It's a 2 edged sword. By your logic the Eagles shouldn't try to hire Dick LeBeau if he were available because of who they drafted last year. I just don't see it that way.

Talent can always find a way to succeed.

But the Cowboys aren't that talented.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Hostile;4959059 said:
Talent can always find a way to succeed.

Looking at the last 18 years it doesn't appear to in Dallas especially on defense.

It didn't in 2008 for Wade with 9 former 1st round picks on defense.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4959076 said:
Ware and Spencer don't kill QBs? I believe no pass rusher is more feared than Ware.

Kiffin's last year in Tampa the #1 pick was a CB, Talib. I believe he was known in college for his physical play.

You sure Spencer is back next year?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yoshimitsu;4959054 said:
You better tell these young whipper snappers. :laugh2:

But seriously our linebacking corps has me salivating in anticipation to what Kiffin will do with them. We still need to upgrade at the d-line but I like the direction the team is going. They are starting to build around Lee/Carter instead of the OLB which is what is most important at 3-4. Hence the change in defensive philosophy. This isn't a swipe at Ware but the reality is he is about to decline in play so it was time to shift who to build around and what our strengths are and that's at MLB. Spencer could walk due to his salary commands. It was time to change.
Carter becoming our Derrick Brooks has me absolutely giddy, and Lee is way better than Quarles.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4959090 said:
You sure Spencer is back next year?
I'd say 80% likely as of right now.

I'll even tell you this, I won't be shocked if Kiffin uses the 3-4. I know he can.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Hostile;4959076 said:

Ware is a great pass rusher.

Spencer is a great 3-4 OLB who has averaged 5.3 sacks per year in his career and is quite possibly the best all-around 3-4 OLB who is equally capable vs the in coverage, against the run, and rushing the passer.

Putting Spencer's hand on the ground full time as a 4-3 DE is wasting what has been him such a good 3-4 LB and also probably equates to dramatically overpaying (assuming $10m/year to resign) a guy who has been an average pass rusher in his career.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
IrishAnto;4959089 said:
Looking at the last 18 years it doesn't appear to in Dallas especially on defense.

That's fair, but talent does fade and some of ours was by then.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
Hostile;4959092 said:
Carter becoming our Derrick Brooks has me absolutely giddy, and Lee is way better than Quarles.

Also Albright has me intrigued. He's athletic, big, smart, and can play multiple positions. This defense has the makings to be very dominant if we draft right to upgrade our defensive line and guys like Crawford/Lissemore take the next step.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Hostile;4959011 said:
So you are saying Carr and Claiborne cannot play for Kiffin? Or that he couldn't figure out how to use them?

I will never really grasp fans sometimes. Talent can play. Talent can coach. Carr and Claiborne have talent. Kiffin has talent.

Are you willing to go on record with a prediction they can't play in his system and he can't coach their talent?

This is not the guy I wanted. He's not even my 2nd or 3rd choice. Then again I didn't want Ryan at all. But I'm not going to pretend he can't coach in the NFL and that talented players can't play. Systems are not that specialized that smart players with talent can't work.

Bravo my friend. Am I the only one that cracks up while reading some of these posts from our fan base trying to come off as insiders with direct knowledge of the inner workings of Valley Ranch? Or, those that try to compare what a coordinator did in college and assuming that he will not succeed in the NFL? Or, that he's too old, yet would jump on the chance to hire a DC that's even 3 years older? I could go on for days here. Like you said - TALENT can excel in any scheme. Great coaches have crapped out more knowledge abou the game than most of us will ever possess. This guy is a guru, plain and simple.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
perrykemp;4959096 said:
Ware is a great pass rusher.

Spencer is a great 3-4 OLB who has averaged 5.3 sacks per year in his career and is quite possibly the best all-around 3-4 OLB who is equally capable vs the in coverage, against the run, and rushing the passer.

Putting Spencer's hand on the ground full time as a 4-3 DE is wasting what has been him such a good 3-4 LB and also probably equates to dramatically overpaying (assuming $10m/year to resign) a guy who has been an average pass rusher in his career.

Spencer got a double digit sacks this year primarily because he was allowed to put his hand on the ground and rush the passer more. Watch the game tape or go through Bob Sturm's blogs, Cowboys played a ton of snaps in what amounted to a 4-3 with Ware playing weakside 4-3 DE in a 2 point stance bookended by Spencer on the opposite end with his hand on the ground.

To quote Bob Sturm's blogs...

iif you read this column, you know that I have been saying they have been running a modified 4-3 for Ryan's entire run here. At least half of the game every week is either in an actual 4-3 (nickel defense on 3rd Downs and other passing scenarios) or a modified 3-4 where Ware rushes 88% of the time getting him defined as a DE in a 4-3 defense and the front 3 is just a DE and 2 DTs.

That is why I am somewhat amused by the universal freak-out about their personnel in a supposed change to the 4-3. Ware and Anthony Spencer are your defensive ends - just like they were at Troy and Purdue. Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff would be your ideal defensive tackles - although, who knows about Ratliff anymore. Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lissemore could play either in a depth rotation, and you were going to focus on DL in the draft anyway.

Linebackers are easy given your talent base already. Sean Lee is your middle linebacker (Mic), and Bruce Carter would look to be a fantastic weak side LB (Will). The strong side linebacker (Sam) may not be on your roster or it could be Alex Albright. But, as you can see, you have strong personnel that could be made stronger with upgrades, of course, but is not in dire straits as it is.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IrishAnto;4959089 said:

You don't judge talent by draft position.

The truth is the Cowboys haven't had good defensive talent since the 90's. They had some good players here and there, but not an overall talent base that would make you expect them to be one of the best defenses in the league or there's something wrong with the coordinator.

Take a look at this roster. The DL is about as marginal as you'll find in the league. I suppose moving to a 4-3 will help that and get Ware in there but it also weakens your LBs. We've got Lee and Carter. Talented but injury prone. Our 3rd LB spot in the new defense is a huge question mark.

There isn't a safety on this roster I'd want starting for me.

Ware's a beast but clearly on the back 9 of his career. Spencer just finished his first season as a quality pass rusher and he's a FA approaching 30.

I'm not getting this hella talent thing. It's been overrated for years and remains so today.