Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SWG9;4957903 said:
So we're back to musical coaches?

Let's be serious here; this defence isn't going to excel in its first year with a new scheme and a new co-ordinator. It just doesn't work that way.

You mean like what happened when Wade went to the Texans in his first season?

Gotcha.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bluestang;4958577 said:
I think alot of people have some misconceptions about Tampa 2/Cover 2.

The difference is the Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 where the ILB helps cover the void that both Safeties can't cover in the middle. He's has that deep middle responsibility where the Safeties can cover their zones on their respective sides of the field. It's basically a Cover 3 concept but the ILB is playing underneath. The Tampa 2 was invented to cover for the shortcomings of a straight Cover 2 where the weakness is to split the Safeties. That's why the ILB has the deep middle responsibility.

The coverage of the corners is solely up to how the coordinator wants to play them but they do play alot of outside leverage to force the routes to the middle where the help is.

The confusion lies in what kind of technique the corners will play in. Ryan didn't use a lot of press coverage like we thought he would and Kiffin's scheme is flexible enough to play any type of technique whether it is off, press, press-bail in a zone or man call. Claiborne played an almost exclusive Cover 2 at LSU so there's really no issue with him nor should it be with Carr who excels at both zone/man.

The real problem that you should be arguing about is the changes that need to be done on the DL in order to generate pressure, turnovers, sacks, etc. On paper it seems like we have a decent group but you need depth and talent to carry you through a full season.

Good post.

Boys122

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4958871 said:
You're fine with Sensabaugh and Church as our safeties in a 3-4?

There's no system in the NFL that couldn't use great safeties. That doesn't mean they're a necessity to effectively run the system, as Chicago showed this year with Major Wright,Chris Conte and Troy Nolan.

No. I'm not. I think Sensbaugh needs to go and Barry Church is a decent backup option. We need to address safety in the draft.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4958863 said:
I'm not saying safety play isn't important but it's not the deal breaker in the Tampa-2. LBs who process the play quickly are.

If you listed the important components of the Tampa-2 that would make someone like Kiffen interested in what he could do in Dallas, safety would be down the list. RDE, MLB, WLB, CB, CB and 1 tech are the most important. Dallas has those positions covered with the possible exception of the 1 technique.

If I was a DC who was looking to implement a Tampa-2 variant, Dallas and San Francisco would be the two 3-4 teams that would most interest me.

On a football level I disagree somewhat. Safety is probably a top 3 position for this defense, along with LB and obviously CB. LBs have to be able to drop back in coverage as you said. They also funnel the slot WRs and TEs to the safeties.The safeties have to be able to cover and to be able to think on the fly. There is a reason the Bears used 2 high draft pick on safety and it paid off with the 2 of them this year, whether they are named guys are not. While back in their zones the decision making is key if more than one WR gets into their zone. In my book you need athletes at LB, CB and safety. Today's offense are way too adept at trying to flood these areas thus leaving the safeties scrambling.

InmanRoshi;4958879 said:
They haven't gone hand in hand since 2008.

Yeah and it is why they were desperately looking for replacements since then and why they drafted their current guys high in 2010 and 2011. As I said I office next to a Bears guy who basically could give a clinic on this D. I've heard 2 offseasons of reports here now and the preseason injuries to these guys had the people here on high alert. They are key to making this work. It was Brown's play making ability that made those earlier teams D so good.

Boys122

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4958876 said:
I'm not sure I understand what Sensabaugh and Church have to do with 4-3 or 3-4. Dallas needs an upgrade of the safety play in '12. I don't know if Church is enough of an upgrade in the limited time I've seen him and I have no idea of what Johnson is capable.

I do see either as a significant upgrade over McCray or whatever street free agent they trotted out at times but I don't know if that's enough.

Well, they need to cover for one and tackle. I like Church as a backup but Sensabaugh has worn out his welcome here.

I have no idea what Matt Johnson brings to the table because he hasn't stayed healthy. From what I hear Johnson could be starting material for all we know.

Let's hope he stays healthy so we can see what he's got on this level. Barry might be able to play the role of a John Lynch. I'm not sure but he to needs to stay healthy.

Plankton

Reaction score
Hostile;4958700 said:
I keep hearing the Safety stuff, and I am even guilty of it myself a little. Quick, without looking it up, name the Bears Safeties during the Lovie years.

More than 3 right will be damned impressive.

I think too much credit is handed to John Lynch. He didn't make the system, the system made him, and I certainly don't recall his track star speed. It was his aggression that made him so good. Remember when his cleaned John Allred's clock when he was TE for the Bears. Allred was his brother-in-law?

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Mike Brown
Danieal Manning
Chris Conte
Craig Stelz
Al Afalava
Major Wright
Adam Archuleta

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4958785 said:
Yeah and it is why they were desperately looking for replacements since then and why they drafted their current guys high in 2010 and 2011.

And yet they still had they were 3rd in scoring defense last year.

Seems as though it's not the most necessary position needed for the defense scheme to perform well, much less a crippling fatal flaw.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4958876 said:
I'm not sure I understand what Sensabaugh and Church have to do with 4-3 or 3-4. Dallas needs an upgrade of the safety play in '12. I don't know if Church is enough of an upgrade in the limited time I've seen him and I have no idea of what Johnson is capable.

I do see either as a significant upgrade over McCray or whatever street free agent they trotted out at times but I don't know if that's enough.

I think people question the instincts of our safety play in zone. Sensabaugh is pretty close to elite at carrying the tight end up the seam. He is pretty kindly average everywhere else. In this defense (assuming cover 2) he is not going to be taking the tight end in man very often.

Everybody thought we were going to run this exotic blitz scheme like Pittsburgh. Claiborne was going to be Ike Taylor and really cover up one side. That would free our mad scientist coordinator to send pressure from everywhere and guys like Carter, Spencer and Ware could really get home. We have supposedly been drafting towards that end for 7 years to some success (Ware and Spencer are as good as it gets). Now it appears that Jerry and probably Larry Lacewell have decided we are going to play just go get 'em defense by drafting better players that everyone and get some run and hit linebackers.

Most if not all good organizations have a philosophy and stick to it. We have Jerry and the direction of the wind.

You said it yourself in a post the other day that our offensive lines have suffered from being half man- half zone blocking lines and it is difficult to scheme for such. We appear to be doing so on our defense as well. In San Fran the pieces fit. Houston's defense fits. At the Giants the pieces fit. They even do for the Jets. They certainly fit in Pittsburgh. Here it is hard to tell and it is really hard to change.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Boys122;4958887 said:
No. I'm not. I think Sensbaugh needs to go and Barry Church is a decent backup option. We need to address safety in the draft.

The the issue is with the safety talent, not what scheme they're playing in.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4958903 said:
And yet they still had they were 3rd in scoring defense last year.

Seems as though it's not the most necessary position to play the defense well, much less a fatal flaw.

Yeah because they found their guys...well that and guys like Tillman are experts at forcing turnovers. I've never seen a DB tackle and punch so well at the same time. Uncanny

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Plankton;4958900 said:
Here's a few off the top of my head:

Mike Brown
Danieal Manning
Chris Conte
Craig Stelz
Al Afalava
Major Wright
Adam Archuleta
Not surprised you can name some. Now, without them looking it up would you put money on the vast majority of posters here being able to do the same thing? Or do you agree with me that most of them couldn't do that without looking it up?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4957494 said:
Rafael Vela ‏@CowboysNation1
The ageism against a Kiffin hire amuses me. Some people want Crennel. He's 65. Tom Coughlin 66. Are they too old?

If you envision Garret being here for the long term, it would be nice if his coordinators could potentially be around for the same length of time so that consistency and continuity could be developed.

Kiffen will be 73 next month so I can’t see that happening.

Is there nobody below 60?

DBOY3141

Reaction score
IrishAnto;4958920 said:
If you envision Garret being here for the long term, it would be nice if his coordinators could potentially be around for the same length of time so that consistency and continuity could be developed.

Kiffen will be 73 next month so I can’t see that happening.

Is there nobody below 60?

I'm guessing if Kiffen comes, he will try and bring Rod Marinelli as his DL coach, DC in waiting. I know he's not 60, but he's not 73.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4958904 said:
I think people question the instincts of our safety play in zone. Sensabaugh is pretty close to elite at carrying the tight end up the seam. He is pretty kindly average everywhere else. In this defense (assuming cover 2) he is not going to be taking the tight end in man very often.

Everybody thought we were going to run this exotic blitz scheme like Pittsburgh. Claiborne was going to be Ike Taylor and really cover up one side. That would free our mad scientist coordinator to send pressure from everywhere and guys like Carter, Spencer and Ware could really get home. We have supposedly been drafting towards that end for 7 years to some success (Ware and Spencer are as good as it gets). Now it appears that Jerry and probably Larry Lacewell have decided we are going to play just go get 'em defense by drafting better players that everyone and get some run and hit linebackers.

Most if not all good organizations have a philosophy and stick to it. We have Jerry and the direction of the wind.

You said it yourself in a post the other day that our offensive lines have suffered from being half man- half zone blocking lines and it is difficult to scheme for such. We appear to be doing so on our defense as well. In San Fran the pieces fit. Houston's defense fits. At the Giants the pieces fit. They even do for the Jets. They certainly fit in Pittsburgh. Here it is hard to tell and it is really hard to change.

I agree it seems to change every couple of years.

With all the money/draft picks spent on Carr and Claiborne last year, will they now become square pegs in round holes?

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4958919 said:
Not surprised you can name some. Now, without them looking it up would you put money on the vast majority of posters here being able to do the same thing? Or do you agree with me that most of them couldn't do that without looking it up?

Hostile, if we are going to primarily cover 2 why did we spend $50mm plus a first and second round picks on press man corners?

Why would we go to a defense that the commissioner is going to fine and penalize out of existence?

If we are bringing in Kiffen to not run cover 2, why on earth are we bringing in Monte Kiffen?

Do you really think this was 45 year old Jason Garret's idea to hire a 70 year old Monte Kiffen?

This reeks of a Jer, Lace and Switz idea. Kiffen is a great, great coach. He and Lace could sit around drinking bourbon talking football and defense and I'd pay a $1,000 for a glass and some ice. But this does not fit what we have been drafting or coaching our team to do.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4958906 said:
Yeah because they found their guys...well that and guys

If finding a Chris Conte caliber player is all it takes to be "the guy" then I'm not that worried about it.

Boys122

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4958905 said:
The the issue is with the safety talent, not what scheme they're playing in.

Okay, so we both agree we need to replace them then? :D

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Do you guys use the same closed minded prototype restrictions on the 3-4? Because neither Lee or Carter are "prototype" 3-4 ILBs. Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil aren't "prototype" 4-3 DEs if you're still stuck in 1985 size prototypes. Yet they still performed very well in the system. Amazing how good players do that.

You do realize that Coleman and Spears are gone this offseason, regardless of which system we run. Who are the "prototype" guys on hand to replace them as 3-4 DEs? Is Sean Lissemore a "prototype" 3-4 DL for you? Is Ratliff more of a "prototype" 3-4 Nosetackle?