Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

Blitzen32

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4957537 said:
I already said I don't think he's necessarily too old. :rolleyes:

But not everyone is Lebeau. Those years made a big difference to Parcells. I know people personally who changed a lot in that time.

Age is a HUGE factor here. The personnel already doesn't fit. Does he have the energy or care to make it all work or is he just really bad at bridge and golf (and also tired of watching Murder, She Wrote/Matlock reruns), and looking for a more desirable way to pass the time?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957790 said:
True but he isn't coaching to his strengths either.

The Cowboys should pass on this one and find a better fit.

Why do you care? You think the Cowboys are going to fail next year anyway just by the fact that Garrett is going to be the HC, so the DC is going to be a one and doner no matter what when the entire staff is replaced next year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
windward;4957793 said:
No, he's adapting to his player's strengths. Something you repeatedly said he won't do.

But I suppose now that that avenue of thinking is gone, let's bash him for the opposite, right?

I'd rather find a coach that fits their strengths. Not hire an old man that's done it 1 way his whole career.

This isn't a halftime adjustment.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957810 said:
I'd rather find a coach that fits their strengths. Not hire an old man that's done it 1 way his whole career.

He can easily have his corners play press bail, as Bluestang pointed out early in the thread.

hra8700

Reaction score
TheCount;4957670 said:
I actually think Carr is a prototypical cover 2 corner. Claiborne, not so much.

Agree, Carr would be awesome in the Tampa 2 specifically.

I also think Bruce carter would be great as a Tampa 2 MLB (rather than wlb) and Sean lee would fit great as the wlb. I also think Ratliff would excel as the under tackle.

The concern is our safeties, and wasting Claiborne if we run a lot of zone (he also needs to be a much much better tackler)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
windward;4957823 said:
He can easily have his corners play press bail, as Bluestang pointed out early in the thread.

Do you like this hire? If so.. Who could we have hired that you couldn't have got behind?

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957810 said:

More like a dog and pony show without the pony.

Craig

KoolAde2

Reaction score
That's one fine paint scheme. I like that.
QUOTE=CowboyLover2323;4957795]Age is a HUGE factor here. The personnel already doesn't fit. Does he have the energy or care to make it all work or is he just really bad at bridge and golf (and also tired of watching Murder, She Wrote/Matlock reruns), and looking for a more desirable way to pass the time?[/QUOTE]

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
hra8700;4957824 said:

I also think Bruce carter would be great as a Tampa 2 MLB (rather than wlb) and Sean lee would fit great as the wlb. I also think Ratliff would excel as the under tackle.

The concern is our safeties, and wasting Claiborne if we run a lot of zone (he also needs to be a much much better tackler)

Carr played a variation of it for Herm Edwards in KC so he's fine. Our safeties get a lot of flack but I was encouraged from what I saw from Barry Church. He's a hard hitting saftey that would be got for the new scheme. The only question is how well will he be coming off the injury? FS needs an upgrade. Not much of a fan of Sensy. An average safety. Claiborne is a concern but we will have to wait and see how we utilize him. The biggest holes are on the d-line. We need more lineman and a serious upgrade at tackle to go besides Ratliff. At Linebacker we a set with an all star group.

Blitzen32

Reaction score
DejectedFan1996;4957816 said:
It's a done deal. Lmao ahh man Dallas...

Looks like JJ wanted a new drinking buddy ;)

BASdDSTCYAANN1P.jpg

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
DejectedFan1996;4957816 said:
It's a done deal. Lmao ahh man Dallas...
It doesn't matter...some would have found faults in whoever was named anyway

weaver21

Reaction score
I just don't see how anyone can have a problem with this. If we don't make the playoffs again next season, Garrett is fired and the new head coach will clean house in the coaching staff department which would also mean Kiffin (unless Gruden comes and there might be a possibility he would keep Kiffin). Best case scenario? This 4-3 defenses works out well for us and the offense turns it around and we make a deep run into the playoffs. I do understand the age concerns as this man is older than my grandfather, but he is a defensive guru and there are still teams in the NFL that are using Kiffin's version of the Tampa 2 defense (Seattle uses it as does Minnesota, 2 teams that qualified for the playoffs). Like I said, if this experiment doesn't work out and we finish 8-8 again or something, Garrett is most likely fired and we get a whole new staff the following year.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
JonJon;4957583 said:
In regards to the CB's playing press man, that is fine to me. I wonder if people realize that press man is used in certain instances of the cover 2 defense. The two safeties would still have deep half coverage responsibilities, the CB's would play outside man, and in most instances, the outside LB's would cover the flats, with the MLB taking the mid zone. If Kiffin does come, I imagine we use both cover 2 zone and man fronts.

Incorrect. In a Cover 2, In most instances, the CB's cover the flats.

SWG9

Reaction score
CATCH17;4957790 said:
True but he isn't coaching to his strengths either.

The Cowboys should pass on this one and find a better fit.

Relax, next offseason we'll switch to the Tampa 2 after the defence finishes 27th this year. I could pretty much write the article right now...

This organization is so crazy sometimes. Reminds me of when Parcells came aboard and was "asked" to retain Zimmer (which set the 3-4 move backwards a few years).

If we're going to make the change, just make the freaking change and get it over with.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957786 said:
So we're bringing him in and not using his scheme. Nice.

Yeah doesn't make sense to me either. Bring in a guy who is the mastermind of the Tampa 2... then make him run something different cuz the players don't match his scheme.

That said, I think the players will do fine in a Tampa 2, regardless of if the DC is Kiffin or some other Tampa 2 DC.

hra8700;4957824 said:

Lee will be our MLB and he will excel in a Tampa 2.