Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

Blitzen32

Reaction score
Hostile;4957876 said:
Dave Wannstedt.

Excellent point. That would have been an unmitigated disaster. See: Bills, Buffalo.

They were supposed to be a top defense this year.

Rack Bauer;4957897 said:
Yeah doesn't make sense to me either. Bring in a guy who is the mastermind of the Tampa 2... then make him run something different cuz the players don't match his scheme.

That said, I think the players will do fine in a Tampa 2, regardless of if the DC is Kiffin or some other Tampa 2 DC.

It'll be interesting to see how he schemes it to fit this team. I hope he brings Raheem Morris here somehow. I think he'd have a great influence on the younger players.

SWG9

Reaction score
weaver21;4957858 said:
I just don't see how anyone can have a problem with this. If we don't make the playoffs again next season, Garrett is fired and the new head coach will clean house in the coaching staff department which would also mean Kiffin (unless Gruden comes and there might be a possibility he would keep Kiffin). Best case scenario? This 4-3 defenses works out well for us and the offense turns it around and we make a deep run into the playoffs. I do understand the age concerns as this man is older than my grandfather, but he is a defensive guru and there are still teams in the NFL that are using Kiffin's version of the Tampa 2 defense (Seattle uses it as does Minnesota, 2 teams that qualified for the playoffs). Like I said, if this experiment doesn't work out and we finish 8-8 again or something, Garrett is most likely fired and we get a whole new staff the following year.

So we're back to musical coaches?

Let's be serious here; this defence isn't going to excel in its first year with a new scheme and a new co-ordinator. It just doesn't work that way.

So if the defence struggles (likely), and the Cowboys miss the playoffs (possible), we gut the entire coaching staff and start all over again? Is that any way to run a franchise? This isn't draw poker where you just keep throwing cards in and getting new ones year after year. Continunity matters. A lot.

We spent 7-8 years using high draft picks to build the foundation for a 3-4. We're finally on the cusp of putting something special on the field, and JJ gets cold feet and scraps the whole thing.

Ware, Carter, Lee, Spencer, all on the field at the same time and healthy...this group of LB's has the potential to be game changers for this team next year in a 3-4. I actually get goosebumps thinking about how disruptive that set of LB's could be.

And we're ditching it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4957730 said:
Well if he can't get it mentally done or drops dead in a few years, then find someone else, not like Jerry has kept any coaches around for long periods of time with this team anyway.

But if they feel he can do the job right now, then age shouldn't be the determiner.

Wish you guys would stop acting like we are going to hire a DC for the next 20 years. Whoever we get will probably be fired soon or leave anyway.

Yea, I dont get all the panties in a wad over this.

If the defense sucks and we dont make the playoffs, then Garrett will be fired along with most of his staff since a new HC would bring "his" guys in.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4957696 said:
LOL, Galloway pointing out that a huge fan of Kiffin has always been... Larry Lacewell.

You know, when Jerry said he was going to consult with football people outside of the organization that he respects to get unbiased feedback I was hoping he meant people like Bill Parcells and Mike Holmgren. Now I'm really starting to believe it may have been Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer.

intelmax

Reaction score
SWG9;4957903 said:
So we're back to musical coaches?

Let's be serious here; this defence isn't going to excel in its first year with a new scheme and a new co-ordinator. It just doesn't work that way.

So if the defence struggles (likely), and the Cowboys miss the playoffs (possible), we gut the entire coaching staff and start all over again? Is that any way to run a franchise? This isn't draw poker where you just keep throwing cards in and getting new ones year after year. Continunity matters. A lot.

We spent 7-8 years using high draft picks to build the foundation for a 3-4. We're finally on the cusp of putting something special on the field, and JJ gets cold feet and scraps the whole thing.

Ware, Carter, Lee, Spencer, all on the field at the same time and healthy...this group of LB's has the potential to be game changers for this team next year in a 3-4. I actually get goosebumps thinking about how disruptive that set of LB's could be.

And we're ditching it.

Its killing me too, this defense could be ridiculous but now were going start all over again. And even if carr can run the Tampa defense we dint pay 50 million a tampa 2 corner. We spent good money for a lock down guy and we drafted Claiborne to be the other lock down guy..

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
There's a genius to Kiffen's age. The pistol is not much more than a variation of the old single wing and I think Kiffen is one of the last coaches alive to remember when Pop Warner invented it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4957959 said:
There's a genius to Kiffen's age. The pistol is not much more than a variation of the old single wing and I think Kiffen is one of the last coaches alive to remember when Pop Warner invented it.

:laugh2:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957827 said:
Do you like this hire? If so.. Who could we have hired that you couldn't have got behind?

Wannstedt like Hos pointed out, or somebody with little experience coordinating a defense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
windward;4958150 said:
Wannstedt like Hos pointed out, or somebody with little experience coordinating a defense.

Or most everyone else in the country. There are only at most a few dozen coaches that are qualified to be good defensive coordinators in this league for the whole world for any scheme.

Falcon554

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4957959 said:

ROFL:laugh1: :laugh1:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star Guard_31;4957933 said:
You know, when Jerry said he was going to consult with football people outside of the organization that he respects to get unbiased feedback I was hoping he meant people like Bill Parcells and Mike Holmgren. Now I'm really starting to believe it may have been Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer.
He did.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;4957931 said:
Yea, I dont get all the panties in a wad over this.

If the defense sucks and we dont make the playoffs, then Garrett will be fired along with most of his staff since a new HC would bring "his" guys in.

Dallas HC's dont get to pick their guys.

RS12

Reaction score
Monte's forte is cover 2. Why would they bring him hear to do anything else? Makes no sense that would do anything else, otherwise why bring him.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Star Guard_31;4957933 said:

hmmmm, would the Magic 8 Ball be considered......uhh, nevermind. The guy is now getting desperate. :(

Reaction score
weaver21;4957616 said:
How is he too old? Dick Lebeau is 75 years old and he's still got the Steelers defense going strong. Kiffin is 3 years younger than him.

Because Dick Lebeau has taken care of himself through the years and he's been gifted physically. He stills does multiple push-ups a day that make young move squirm. He's an exception not a rule.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
RGKN33;4957499 said:
well washington sure ate him up in which he basically played re even though i give him the benifit of the doubt for being injured .
My issue with ware is his containment , he over-pursues alot which hurts us so much in the run game .

Two things, Skins did that to the Giants as well and 2nd if he does 'over-pursue" shouldn't that be corrected with coaching and practice? I do agree with you against the Skins he went for that ball fake too many times.