Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Idgit;4957668 said:
Just because someone older is able to do it, doesn't mean Kiffen is. He might well be able to, but it seems like an unnecessary risk when there are younger guys doing it at a high level available.

If he goes out and fills a staff with a bunch of veteran coaches from his tree like like Rod Marinelli, Ron Meeks, Joe Barry, Raheem Morris, (and I believe all of these guys will or could be available) who do most of the daily coaching grunt work, his age is perfectly fine. These guys have been coaching this defense for a decade or more in the NFL, have seen everything under the sun, and they don't need him micromanaging them or their units. Kiffin can be the central overseer and the defensive direct communication line with Garrett.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'm assuming they don't believe Lovie would want to come to Dallas to become DC or he has a chance at the Iggles job, otherwise this move makes no sense.

Lovie Smith is a disciple of Kiffin, thirty years younger and his recent NFL track record is still great defensively.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
zrinkill;4957601 said:
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/oldguys2_zps8be0b5f9.jpg
Is that from Harry and Tonto? If so, congrats for the very obscure movie reference in a football thread.
Edit: Never mind. It's from Going in Style. But point stands.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
LOL, Galloway pointing out that a huge fan of Kiffin has always been... Larry Lacewell.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
My concern: Kifkin is just lucid enough to convince Jerry he is mentally agile enough to still coach successfully. And no more.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4957537 said:
I already said I don't think he's necessarily too old. :rolleyes:

But not everyone is Lebeau. Those years made a big difference to Parcells. I know people personally who changed a lot in that time.

I totally hear what you're saying. Maybe Kiffin defies the odds, but there is a reason most people are retired at that age. Very few 73 year olds are as sharp as they were at their peak or still have the necessary energy/stamina to do what an NFL DC needs to do to put a great D on the field.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
JonJon;4957583 said:
In regards to the CB's playing press man, that is fine to me. I wonder if people realize that press man is used in certain instances of the cover 2 defense. The two safeties would still have deep half coverage responsibilities, the CB's would play outside man, and in most instances, the outside LB's would cover the flats, with the MLB taking the mid zone. If Kiffin does come, I imagine we use both cover 2 zone and man fronts.
Good info. Thanks.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
TheCount;4957670 said:
I actually think Carr is a prototypical cover 2 corner. Claiborne, not so much.

No my cousin is much better in press man coverage, he's a very physical cornerback.

Falcon554

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4957643 said:
Now look it up for guys who are already 73.

Just cause he is that age, doesn't mean he will drop dead in 2 years.

nope maybe 6 months :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4957690 said:
Is that from Harry and Tonto? If so, congrats for the very obscure movie reference in a football thread.

I think that's from Going In Style, where the three old guys rob a bank, just to give themselves some excitement and make some cash. Good comedy-drama from the late 70's.

gmb85

Reaction score
I'm laughing my *** off. Wasn't Kiffen like 29 years old when man landed on the moon? Lmao

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Falcon554;4957712 said:
nope maybe 6 months :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Well if he can't get it mentally done or drops dead in a few years, then find someone else, not like Jerry has kept any coaches around for long periods of time with this team anyway.

But if they feel he can do the job right now, then age shouldn't be the determiner.

Wish you guys would stop acting like we are going to hire a DC for the next 20 years. Whoever we get will probably be fired soon or leave anyway.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4957730 said:
Well if he can't get it mentally done or drops dead in a few years, then find someone else, not like Jerry has kept any coaches around for long periods of time with this team anyway.

But if they feel he can do the job right now, then age shouldn't be the determiner.

Wish you guys would stop acting like we are going to hire a DC for the next 20 years. Whoever we get will probably be fired soon or leave anyway.

Yeah, why are people so concerned about the DC being here for the longterm? Unless the team turns around next year, Garrett is toast and we'll be looking for an entire new staff next offseason anyway. Most of the people who are crying about this think Garrett is incapable of putting a winning team on the field no matter who the DC is, so this should all be irrelevant to you anyway.

Does anyone think Lovie would be here for the long term? If he does his job and turns around the defense, he's a one and doner and leaving for a head coaching job next offeseason. If the defense doesn't turn around and the team doesn't make the playoffs again, he'll be let go with Garrett. (unless you support Jerry forcing the next HC to inherit the existing staff). High probability this is a one and done gig, no matter how you slice it, and any coaching looking to make a home for the next 5 years probably wont find this job very attractive. A coach at the end of the road who doesn't give a flip about climbing the career ladder is perfect for this situation.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Not forcing a scheme upon players whose strengths aren't well suited to it? What a novel concept.

The old master is wise.

dart

Reaction score
Just Say No To Kiffen

Get Some Young Guns In Here

surely there are some

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sasquatch;4957779 said:
Not forcing a scheme upon players whose strengths aren't well suited to it? What a novel concept.

The old master is wise.

True but he isn't coaching to his strengths either.

The Cowboys should pass on this one and find a better fit.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CATCH17;4957786 said:
So we're bringing him in and not using his scheme. Nice.

No, he's adapting to his player's strengths. Something you repeatedly said he won't do.

But I suppose now that that avenue of thinking is gone, let's bash him for the opposite, right?