Hip Hop Music Thread

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Is hip-hop actually music????:huh: Admittedly, I am an old fuddy-duddy, but I do not see any redeeming qualities in hip-hop music or alternative music. I swore I would not be this way when I got older in my younger days but music was good when I was younger. I actually listen to AM talk radio(a huge insight to my political views) mostly these days but when I do listen to music, I end up listening to classic rock or classic country. I do not care for hardly any of the new age music no matter the genre.

Well, thats a question that has a different answer for everyone. Most of the work that has been posted in this thread ranges from the 70's 80s, 90's... maybe early 2000's. There are a lot of different stages of hip hop during that range of time. I got into Jazz through hip hop... hearing samples of Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, & Freddie Hubbert. Hip hop also opened my mind to history in many ways as every artist did not speak on the same topic. Some Spoke on biblical topics, some historic topics, some on current events, and some just flossed (vanity).... There has been some really creative work musically, like the Roots, who records with a live band, Miles Davis' last album on this planet was a hip hop fusion album... and there has been some really lazy work where its just a loop and a hook.

Today hip hop has been overtaken by rap & pop (rap is the poetry, hip hop is the overall culture). And the use of synthetic music as the background has really changed the art, as samples, & studio musicians were becoming too expensive.

But again, its about what speaks to you. I was born in the mid 70's, split between two major urban metropolitans, in the neighborhoods where the arts were being practiced as a whole...so it speaks to me... But just like you, I am getting older, and some of the newer work goes over my head... but that happens to every generation that gets passed as the target audience... Now I'm targeted for insurance, & car loans. :)

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Is hip-hop actually music????:huh: Admittedly, I am an old fuddy-duddy, but I do not see any redeeming qualities in hip-hop music or alternative music. I swore I would not be this way when I got older in my younger days but music was good when I was younger. I actually listen to AM talk radio(a huge insight to my political views) mostly these days but when I do listen to music, I end up listening to classic rock or classic country. I do not care for hardly any of the new age music no matter the genre.

I thought NPR was on FM?:D Just messin with ya. I listen to rap and NPR but most if it is cultural relativity in all honesty (for the most part, as it shouldn't exclude burb/rural kids/adults from listening, etc.) But I think it's just a matter of what creative outlet attracts you as a youth. There was a lot of anger in the 80s n 90s; this is expressed in various ways via rap during that time frame both positively and negatively. The quality has been watered down bc of various changes as Springs referenced "catchy hook, and talk". I'm 31 and don't listen to most modern rap.

Last edited:

cml750

Reaction score
I did not mean to offend anyone, rather just expressing an honest (personal) opinion. I know there are a lot of people who like it and that I am a old fuddy-duddy so I am poking fun at myself as much as anyone who likes this type of music.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I did not mean to offend anyone, rather just expressing an honest (personal) opinion. I know there are a lot of people who like it and that I am a old fuddy-duddy so I am poking fun at myself as much as anyone who likes this type of music.

You're cool, I got what you were saying and wasn't offended at all. I tried to like Hard Rock for about a month (gf influence) as a teenager; different strokes, etc.

cml750

Reaction score
You're cool, I got what you were saying and wasn't offended at all. I tried to like Hard Rock for about a month (gf influence) as a teenager; different strokes, etc.

Actually, I did like some early Run DMC and early Beastie Boys. That was when rap was funny rather than violent and vulgar.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

Not offended... Im a vinyl collector... I listen to ALL music... and I emphasize that... you can look at the music game thread & see that..... Rock, Alternative, Classic, Punk, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz, Reggae.... and the list goes on... I'm sonically open!

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Actually, I did like some early Run DMC and early Beastie Boys. That was when rap was funny rather than violent and vulgar.

That's a poor stereotype also (no offense meant)... because rap was diverse for so long... what becomes popular is different that what exist fully.

Brand Nubian, Nas, The Roots, Rakim, BIG, Tupac.... and the list goes on, doesn't speak on the same topics, let alone their diversity within their own sphere... What comes on the radio is often dictated by people who don't even know the music... and unfortunately they have directed the music in a direction of "lowest common denominator"... when it was encoded, and the slang wasn't for everyone, it didn't sell enough... so it was decoded.. and just like movies, & television... sensationalism sells.

cml750

Reaction score
That's a poor stereotype also (no offense meant)... because rap was diverse for so long... what becomes popular is different that what exist fully.

Brand Nubian, Nas, The Roots, Rakim, BIG, Tupac.... and the list goes on, doesn't speak on the same topics, let alone their diversity within their own sphere... What comes on the radio is often dictated by people who don't even know the music... and unfortunately they have directed the music in a direction of "lowest common denominator"... when it was encoded, and the slang wasn't for everyone, it didn't sell enough... so it was decoded.. and just like movies, & television... sensationalism sells.

No offense taken. I am truly as an old fuddy-duddy as you will ever meet.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

And oddly enough, that's about the time I embraced rap (violent and vulgar) and reflected my anger as a youth, etc. I've matured from then but still cling to that music even while acknowledging it as "vulgar and violent"and NSFW type of music. It shows the strength of nostalgia tbh (in my opinion) and why every generation thinks "they" know music by a different "standard" than current or existing trends. I'll acknowledge my hypocrisy in this situation but that urge is still present; to hold my music to a higher standard and using watered down to describe modern hip hop, etc.

Last edited:

mldardy

Reaction score
Not offended... Im a vinyl collector... I listen to ALL music... and I emphasize that... you can look at the music game thread & see that..... Rock, Alternative, Classic, Punk, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz, Reggae.... and the list goes on... I'm sonically open!

Me and you are here Ron. As I've gotten older I've started listening to all genres of music. I think limiting yourself to one type of genre or two as I did with Hip-Hop and R&B got boring. Those two especially hip-hop will always be number 1 for me but there are so many good and great artists, groups, musicians of all genres it's hard to ignore that. Good music is good music.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Me and you are here Ron. As I've gotten older I've started listening to all genres of music. I think limiting yourself to one type of genre or two as I did with Hip-Hop and R&B got boring. Those two especially hip-hop will always be number 1 for me but there are so many good and great artists, groups, musicians of all genres it's hard to ignore that. Good music is good music.

yeh.... I listen to EVERYTHING!

StylisticS

Reaction score
Well I still do mostly hip hop and R&B. Some of the house music I can get into but I must be in the mood. But while I'm still mostly hip hop and R&B, it's NOTHING on radio.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
From A Very Underrated Album, Liquid Swords... (Cult Classic)

GZA
I Gotcha Back

4th Chamber (Killah Priest Was On Another Level At This Point)

ShadowBoxing

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Well I still do mostly hip hop and R&B. Some of the house music I can get into but I must be in the mood. But while I'm still mostly hip hop and R&B, it's NOTHING on radio.

Hence your name. I'm mostly into R&B both classic and new but only classic hip hop.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Hence your name. I'm mostly into R&B both classic and new but only classic hip hop.

lol. I'm only 32 so I grew up with 90s hip hop. That's the standard I hold hip hop too. There isn't much today that meets standard. It was easily the best time lyrically. Especially 94-96 with so many classics throughout the nation.

Junglist

Reaction score
I went and saw Naughty by Nature a few weeks ago here in Dallas. Awesome, awesome show. A few of us even got on stage when they did "hip-hop hurray". So far, I've seen the following live: Naughty by Nature, Phife Dawg, KRS1, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kwali, Roots, Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics, and Black Eyed Peas (in 2002, when they were actually hip hop). Also, I've seen some more underground people like: Brother Ali, Living Legends, Glue, and Kool Keith.

Junglist

Reaction score

I spin jungle/ DNB (obviously), but I still LOVE some good house music. Mark Farina is probably my favorite house DJ. His mushroom jazz stuff is good as well.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
lol. I'm only 32 so I grew up with 90s hip hop. That's the standard I hold hip hop too. There isn't much today that meets standard. It was easily the best time lyrically. Especially 94-96 with so many classics throughout the nation.

Yep it was full of classics. I'd say the 70's with Al Green and Marvin rivaled the 90's. Both excellent times for music. I'm 42 and enjoyed both those classics around the same time because the channel played them both. Now my iPod is loaded with it.
I also have quite a bit of classic hip hop and classic rock.(as required by law because I'm a white guy:D) R&B is my go to.

There's some ok R&B today but, it wears out fast and doesn't stand the test of time. Very few, if any, classics.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I like old Run DMC and Beastie too, but I was on board with NWA too. I hate today's garbage by all these wannabe gangster rappers.