Hitchens was a good decision

Verdict

Reaction score
We let a nice player go in Hitchens, and replaced him with a much better player and saved salary cap room and received a 4th round comp pick out of it. That's a win/win/win for the Cowboys.

We need to be giving Tank a serious cost benefit analysis. It will be harder to replace Tank, and he is a little bit better player than Hitchens but that comp pick (or better yet an earlier/better pick via trade) would feel really good, especially if it turns into an impactful DE or DT pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hitchens was a good decision because Jaylon and LVE worked out. Had they not we were doomed.

We don’t have a LVE or Jaylon waiting in the wings for us at pass rusher.

And the caliber of Lawrence is light years ahead of the caliber of Hitchens.

I don’t great about getting a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick for one of the best pass rushers in the league.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cowboys should weigh all options. I'd talk to the chiefs who are swtiching back to a 4-3 and dumping their best players. If we can't get DLaw for 18/year then maybe we can get better in a trade. But they have to move quick as we would need to sign 3 guys in the 6-8 million dollar range who can improve our defense to make up for his loss. That would include an upgrade at safety, a DT, and a DE all are needs with or without DLaw.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Hitchens was a good decision because Jaylon and LVE worked out. Had they not we were doomed.

I don’t great about getting a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick for one of the best pass rushers in the league.
Hitchens was ok but very replaceable. "Doomed" without the success of Jaylon and LVE is a bit extreme.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hitchens is classic roster churn, draft well and get the production. Then get a comp pick back when he leaves.

DLaw is elite, there are very few of those players around. That costs a lot of money.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hitchens is classic roster churn, draft well and get the production. Then get a comp pick back when he leaves.

DLaw is elite, there are very few of those players around. That costs a lot of money.
In this salary cap era football we play in. You have to take that one or two exceptional players and take a chance and sign them to a long-term contract spread that salary cap money out. Hope they accept an injury clause in there somewhere.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hitchens was a no brainer. He was a solid back up type player that got overpaid in FA.

Tank is a much better player but I’d let him get offers from other teams and then either match it or let him go. Tough decision ahead...

DFWJC

Reaction score
The cowboys should weigh all options. I'd talk to the chiefs who are swtiching back to a 4-3 and dumping their best players. If we can't get DLaw for 18/year then maybe we can get better in a trade. But they have to move quick as we would need to sign 3 guys in the 6-8 million dollar range who can improve our defense to make up for his loss. That would include an upgrade at safety, a DT, and a DE all are needs with or without DLaw.
Agree
ALWAYS weigh all options for all players.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If we don't get that big ugly defensive tackle. Someone to push the center back into the quarterback's face. Are Edge rushers just can't get there. Quarterback steps up. If I couldn't sign Lawrence to a long-term deal. I would sign him trade him we still own his rights. If no one accepts him. That's the beauty of franchising. You have the first right to retain that player

cern

Reaction score
I understood why the cowboys had to let hitchens go, but didn't want it to happen. I never imagined his replacement would be found so quickly and that his play would be forgotten by vander esch and Jaylon. I also didn't think sean lee would fall so far in just one season. we still need another good lb.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We've needed that big defensive tackle for three seasons now. Pressures sacks are great but I rather get them up the middle

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I understood why the cowboys had to let hitchens go, but didn't want it to happen. I never imagined his replacement would be found so quickly and that his play would be forgotten by vander esch and Jaylon. I also didn't think sean lee would fall so far in just one season. we still need another good lb.
Wilson wasn't doing it for me. Yes we need one more linebacker. I would keep Sean Lee strictly for rotational purposes

Sydla

Reaction score
We let a nice player go in Hitchens, and replaced him with a much better player and saved salary cap room and received a 4th round comp pick out of it. That's a win/win/win for the Cowboys.

We need to be giving Tank a serious cost benefit analysis. It will be harder to replace Tank, and he is a little bit better player than Hitchens but that comp pick (or better yet an earlier/better pick via trade) would feel really good, especially if it turns into an impactful DE or DT pick.

LOL at comparing the decision on Hitchens to the decision on Lawrence.

Verdict strikes again.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wouldn't a hybrid strong safety linebacker be nice. I'll just keep wishing

cern

Reaction score
We've needed that big defensive tackle for three seasons now. Pressures sacks are great but I rather get them up the middle
more than just 3 years. ever since Marinelli got here. I can't wait for him to be gone. our defensive schemes stunk until last season when Kris Richard changed up a few things. still don't know why rod's here.

conner01

Reaction score

He’s a whole lot better than hitch
But the key to letting hitch walk was having a guy in line to replace him
Taco should have been that guy but he’s not