Hitchens was a good decision

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Trading is just on part of the equation. If it's a possibility then you have to have in place a plan to add pass rushing immediately as the FA period starts.

If you trade Tank and your DEs next year are Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford sliding over from DT again and whatever DE you took with your first or 2nd round pick, you will have one of the worst pass rushing teams in football.

All those strides you made on defense last year go bye bye if you head into the season with an inability to get after the QB.
Oh I agree. If the plan is to trade D-Law, and rely on the group they have in house + 1st/2nd round rookie, then yeah, we're in trouble.

But edge rushers are probably the strongest group in free agency right now, so you'd have to think they'd find D-Law's replacement there if they went the trade route, along with drafting a DE on day 1 or 2. That wouldn't be the worst play in the world if D-Law's demands are too outrageous.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh I agree. If the plan is to trade D-Law, and rely on the group they have in house + 1st/2nd round rookie, then yeah, we're in trouble.

But edge rushers are probably the strongest group in free agency right now, so you'd have to think they'd find D-Law's replacement there if they went the trade route, along with drafting a DE on day 1 or 2. That wouldn't be the worst play in the world if D-Law's demands are too outrageous.

The best DEs in FA likely aren't going to be there. Clark got tagged. Clowney got tagged as well. Fowler just resigned in LA.

This team would have to get real creative if they wanted to move Lawrence.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The best DEs in FA likely aren't going to be there. Clark got tagged. Clowney got tagged as well. Fowler just resigned in LA.

This team would have to get real creative if they wanted to move Lawrence.
It's a deep group not including the guys who got tagged.

Flamma

Reaction score
We let a nice player go in Hitchens, and replaced him with a much better player and saved salary cap room and received a 4th round comp pick out of it. That's a win/win/win for the Cowboys.

We need to be giving Tank a serious cost benefit analysis. It will be harder to replace Tank, and he is a little bit better player than Hitchens but that comp pick (or better yet an earlier/better pick via trade) would feel really good, especially if it turns into an impactful DE or DT pick.

Tank is a little better than Hitchens? Remember when Sean Lee would get hurt and our defense went from average to implode? Hitchens was part of the implosion. LVE and Smith put a stop to that. So yeah, when I found out we were letting Hitchens go, I raised up a shot of my finest, thanked him for his services and bid him farewell. Forgot about him before the shot reached my head. Not keeping Leary was a mistake.

Verdict

Reaction score
Tank is a little better than Hitchens? Remember when Sean Lee would get hurt and our defense went from average to implode? Hitchens was part of the implosion. LVE and Smith put a stop to that. So yeah, when I found out we were letting Hitchens go, I raised up a shot of my finest, thanked him for his services and bid him farewell. Forgot about him before the shot reached my head. Not keeping Leary was a mistake.

Yes, not keeping Leary was a mistake. The analysis of whether to keep a player must be based on three things:

1. Can the player actually play at a high enough level to justify a roster spot?
2. Can the cap hit fit within the 5 year team cap budget?
3. What is the cost/benefit analysis of the ability of the player vs. the cap hit for that player.

It is really this simple.

For example I think Sean Lee fails on #1, passes #2 and fails #3. So we should be moving on from him.

I think Tank passes on #1, passes on #2 but fails on #3 if his demands are anything over $20m per year. The number should be closer to $17 or $18m per year but I could see how the team might say with inflation over a 5 year term that he may be worth that risk.

Most people who want Tank don't care at all about the cap. Most people who don't want Tank don't want him for salary cap reasons and not because they think he can't play at a fairly high level.

What is NOT a factor is "do you have someone who can play at the same level as the player you are analyzing." Every starter falls into that category.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hitchens' best year was his rookie year as far as impact. After that, it was hit and miss..sporadic results. Good move allowing him to walk. Chiefs paid a kings ransom for basically a guy...

Sydla

Reaction score
At the end of the day, there is an argument to be made that maybe it is not in the best long term interest of the Cowboys to sign Lawrence to a huge deal.

But if that argument involves claiming that Lawrence is barely better than Hitchens, that's not really going to help your case or get people to buy what you are selling.

Rayman70

Reaction score
on the heels of Gregory and that entire fiasco, we are likely keeping Dlaw...unless someone wows us. We still have to do a sign and trade for that to happen.