Hitchens was a good decision

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
You can make a case for letting Lawrence leave from a cap efficiency standpoint, it just really hurts their chances to win next year. It's difficult to acquire pass rushers in free agency and without a pass rush there's limit to how effective the defense is going to be.

Sydla

Reaction score
You can make a case for letting Lawrence leave from a cap efficiency standpoint, it just really hurts their chances to win next year. It's difficult to acquire pass rushers in free agency and without a pass rush there's limit to how effective the defense is going to be.

Cowboys are stuck. If they want to win now, they have to bring him back or have a plan in place to get pass rushers in here if they dump him.

Or they could continue to play this game of saving cap space and being just “good” but not great season after season.

Verdict

Reaction score
He’s a significantly better player than Hitchens though.

You out yourself and your painfully obvious agenda when you utter stupid stuff like this.

Or maybe I'm a little bit more realistic than you are. If our team is comprised of all top 5 level players, how do we find ways to lose?

Tank isn't a top 5 player. He's a good player. He's not Mack, Vonn, or Donald. He's not even close.

Verdict

Reaction score
Cowboys are stuck. If they want to win now, they have to bring him back or have a plan in place to get pass rushers in here if they dump him.

Or they could continue to play this game of saving cap space and being just “good” but not great season after season.

Or they could over pay and run the team right off into the crapper. It's a catch 22 isn't it?

Verdict

Reaction score
Over paying is a matted of opinion
I think around 20 is a fair deal and if it’s true we offered 17 that’s a silly offer

$17m per year is a very fair offer. $20m is really too much. $23m is a piss poor contract.

rags747

Reaction score
The cowboys should weigh all options. I'd talk to the chiefs who are swtiching back to a 4-3 and dumping their best players. If we can't get DLaw for 18/year then maybe we can get better in a trade. But they have to move quick as we would need to sign 3 guys in the 6-8 million dollar range who can improve our defense to make up for his loss. That would include an upgrade at safety, a DT, and a DE all are needs with or without DLaw.
Agreed, let’s talk to the Chiefs...I’m thinking maybe Lawrence and Jones and Dak for Mahomes straight up! Where do I sign!?

conner01

Reaction score
$17m per year is a very fair offer. $20m is really too much. $23m is a piss poor contract.
Then never expect to have a pass rusher because if you don’t think Dlaw deserves more than a 3 yr old deal to a pass rushers he’s out performed in recent years, you never will have one
And if that’s the case with Dlaw then why bother offering Zeke, Dak, j smith or any others a second deal

Swanny

Reaction score
Hitchens was a good decision because Jaylon and LVE worked out. Had they not we were doomed.

We don’t have a LVE or Jaylon waiting in the wings for us at pass rusher.

And the caliber of Lawrence is light years ahead of the caliber of Hitchens.

I don’t great about getting a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick for one of the best pass rushers in the league.
This could be said about every single player that doesn't resign with a team position. Any time a player is replaced the only time it ever works out is if the player doing the replacing is good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Or maybe I'm a little bit more realistic than you are. If our team is comprised of all top 5 level players, how do we find ways to lose?

Tank isn't a top 5 player. He's a good player. He's not Mack, Vonn, or Donald. He's not even close.

Well we don't have top 5 players at all positions. So there's your first mistake. Second, I don't believe we have a great coaching staff.

Anyone who concludes that DeMarcus Lawrence is just a "bit" better than Hitchens has screw loose or an obvious agenda. Which one are you?

Sydla

Reaction score
Or they could over pay and run the team right off into the crapper. It's a catch 22 isn't it?

Overpaying wouldn't run the team into the crapper. My god, man.

Note, I am not advocating they do that. But this the end of the world stuff from you is hilarious.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we don't have top 5 players at all positions. So there's your first mistake. Second, I don't believe we have a great coaching staff.

Anyone who concludes that DeMarcus Lawrence is just a "bit" better than Hitchens has screw loose or an obvious agenda. Which one are you?

The agenda is obvious, and it was pointed out from this thread's very beginning. He doesn't even try to hide it anymore. He hasn't even mentioned Hitchens in his last several posts. This thread was all about a never-ending crusade against yet another player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overpaying wouldn't run the team into the crapper. My god, man.

Note, I am not advocating they do that. But this the end of the world stuff from you is hilarious.

Even more hilarious is the "$17 million a year" being a "fair offer" crap.

:lmao:

Sydla

Reaction score
Even more hilarious is the "$17 million a year" being a "fair offer" crap.

:lmao:

Better yet is $17MM is OK, but $20MM? Well that's too much and could run the team into a the "crapper".

If the difference between us sinking or floating is $3MM annually, guess what? This team has bigger contract problems than DeMarcus Lawrence.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better yet is $17MM is OK, but $20MM? Well that's too much and could run the team into a the "crapper".

If the difference between us sinking or floating is $3MM annually, guess what? This team has bigger contract problems than DeMarcus Lawrence.

And meanwhile, we're keeping a stiff like Allen Hurns around for 6.5 million. Or Crawford around for $10 million.
:facepalm:

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying OP about not overpaying Lawrence and receiving a comp pick, but it'd put us in a very, very bad spot this year.

Trading him > Letting him walk.

We'd likely get the highest comp pick possible for Lawrence (a 3rd), but having to wait a year to be able to use that 3rd hurts.

If they explore trades for him, there's a good chance they could get back a 2nd or even a late 1st. The Patriots were in a similar predicament with Chandler Jones (who was around D-Law's age at the time) and got a 2nd rounder back for him. This is a much better alternative to letting him walk because a) It'd be a higher draft pick than the comp pick and b) you'd get to use the draft pick right away instead of waiting a year.

HanD

Reaction score
Lawrence is not elite. Elite players don’t disappear on the big stage.

i remember hearing the same complaints about dware disappearing during his time and how people wanted to say clay matthews was better until the 4th qtr pressures and sacks stats came out. lawrence isn't khalil mack but who is? he's a top 5 de and should be paid as such. not mack money though.

Sydla

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying OP about not overpaying Lawrence and receiving a comp pick, but it'd put us in a very, very bad spot this year.

We'd likely get the highest comp pick possible for Lawrence (a 3rd), but having to wait a year to be able to use that 3rd hurts.

If they explore trades for him, there's a good chance they could get back a 2nd or even a late 1st. The Patriots were in a similar predicament with Chandler Jones (who was around D-Law's age at the time) and got a 2nd rounder back for him. This is a much better alternative to letting him walk because a) It'd be a higher draft pick than the comp pick and b) you'd get to use the draft pick right away instead of waiting a year.

Trading is just on part of the equation. If it's a possibility then you have to have in place a plan to add pass rushing immediately as the FA period starts.

If you trade Tank and your DEs next year are Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford sliding over from DT again and whatever DE you took with your first or 2nd round pick, you will have one of the worst pass rushing teams in football.

All those strides you made on defense last year go bye bye if you head into the season with an inability to get after the QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's funny. The Chandler Jones deal now looks like a steal compared to what the Raiders got for Khalil Mack, and then how much the Bears paid him.

Even if we could get somewhere in between, we'd be looking at at least a first round pick. Given the demand, and how many of these guys are being tagged and not even hitting the market, it's possible we could get one 1st rounder at least, maybe even a bit more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trading is just on part of the equation. If it's a possibility then you have to have in place a plan to add pass rushing immediately as the FA period starts.

If you trade Tank and your DEs next year are Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford sliding over from DT again and whatever DE you took with your first or 2nd round pick, you will have one of the worst pass rushing teams in football.

All those strides you made on defense last year go bye bye if you head into the season with an inability to get after the QB.

Yes, you'd have to simultaneously have an agreement with a guy like Flowers if you traded Lawrence. Otherwise, you're killing your rising defense, just killing it.