Hitchens was a good decision

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hitchens was a good decision because Jaylon and LVE worked out. Had they not we were doomed.

We don’t have a LVE or Jaylon waiting in the wings for us at pass rusher.

And the caliber of Lawrence is light years ahead of the caliber of Hitchens.

I don’t great about getting a 2nd or 3rd round comp pick for one of the best pass rushers in the league.
I would have just said Joe Thomas

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
more than just 3 years. ever since Marinelli got here. I can't wait for him to be gone. our defensive schemes stunk until last season when Kris Richard changed up a few things. still don't know why rod's here.
What the best things Kris Richard has done so far for me. Our Corners finally learned how to handle the red zone hand off. When the wide receivers cross we would Bang into each other not knowing how or who to cover. Used to drive me crazy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hitchens was ok but very replaceable. "Doomed" without the success of Jaylon and LVE is a bit extreme.
He was a solid starter. Whether he was ok or not he was the best we had at that position if Lee got hurt which he did. No one remembers this now but everyone thought that linebacker unit would be one of the worst in the league.

JayFord

Reaction score
I’m not big on tank but it’s much easier to find good linebackers than de’s

However

We need to sign tank given our string of taking dlineman that couldn’t even start in the AAF

JBS

Reaction score
Of course Hitchens was a good decision..everybody on here knew that from the get go..

Those saying it only worked out bc of LVE and Jaylon are foolish...he was grossly overpaid

Verdict

Reaction score

I indicated he is a better player than Hitchens. How much better is debateable. Obviously you think he is closer to DWare than I do. I think he's probably about as close to Hitchens as he is to DWare. You can't pay DWare type of money who isn't anything close to that level of ability.

You guys are WAY overvaluing Tank.

Verdict

Reaction score
He’s a whole lot better than hitch
But the key to letting hitch walk was having a guy in line to replace him
Taco should have been that guy but he’s not

It doesn't matter if you have a player to adequately replace him or not, you can't overpay that kind of money. I assure you, someone will be lining up in his place if we move on from him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sometimes I think Verdict is just trolling the board.

Anyone who thinks Lawrence is just a bit better than Hitchens has to be trolling.

He's not nearly as dominant as some of you guys think he is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We let a nice player go in Hitchens, and replaced him with a much better player and saved salary cap room and received a 4th round comp pick out of it. That's a win/win/win for the Cowboys.

We need to be giving Tank a serious cost benefit analysis. It will be harder to replace Tank, and he is a little bit better player than Hitchens but that comp pick (or better yet an earlier/better pick via trade) would feel really good, especially if it turns into an impactful DE or DT pick.

Hitchens was just not a player to spend free agent money on. Look at all the guys we're hoping to sign now. All much better than Hitchens. All much more important to the team.

And the comp pick is big. The NFL is now designed to reward teams that let players go. Free agent contracts are the worst value, and on top of it, whether you're signing your own, or you're signing someone else's, you're giving up a comp pick offset.

Build through the draft. And you do that by letting guys go and getting comp picks for them. Sign only the best, or only very good value, and don't do it with a health risk.

Angus12

Reaction score
I indicated he is a better player than Hitchens. How much better is debateable. Obviously you think he is closer to DWare than I do. I think he's probably about as close to Hitchens as he is to DWare. You can't pay DWare type of money who isn't anything close to that level of ability.

I'm not a Lawrence fan boy that thinks he is the greatest. But to even imply that he is only A LITTLE BIT BETTER than Hitchens is moronic, at best. Your agenda couldn't be any clearer.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Verdict is just trolling the board.
Anyone who thinks Lawrence is just a bit better than Hitchens has to be trolling.
:hammer:
(FIFY)
I was just about to post the same before I had seen your post. :lmao:

conner01

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you have a player to adequately replace him or not, you can't overpay that kind of money. I assure you, someone will be lining up in his place if we move on from him.
Over paying is a matted of opinion
I think around 20 is a fair deal and if it’s true we offered 17 that’s a silly offer

Sydla

Reaction score

No, you are undervaluing him. That’s clear when you claim he’s only a bit better than Hitchens.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not a Lawrence fan boy that thinks he is the greatest. But to even imply that he is only A LITTLE BIT BETTER than Hitchens is moronic, at best. Your agenda couldn't be any clearer.

This was noted months ago. After Bryant left, Verdict needed a new player to obsess over. Lawrence became that player.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think the Hitch decision was a little riskier than what some of you are thinking. Jaylon was coming off a 2017 season where he looked hobbled and sucked most of the time, and we had no idea what would be available in the draft. Letting Hitch walk for a $45 million deal elsewhere was an easy decision, but we didn't really have a good replacement behind him. It was Jaylon at an unknown level of health, and Lee for however long his health would hold up.

Jaylon turned it on, then our BPA in the draft turned out to be another LB who was ready to ball the hell out way, way earlier than anyone thought a 1 year starter at Boise State would be able to. So our succession plan at LB went dang near perfect, but we also got pretty lucky too.

I guess the closest parallel is if we let Lawrence walk, Randy Gregory comes back and goes beast mode, and we draft a DE in the second who plays at a top-ten level starting in Week 2. It's like the best case scenario, but it's nothing you'd expect to happen either.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the Hitch decision was a little riskier than what some of you are thinking. Jaylon was coming off a 2017 season where he looked hobbled and sucked most of the time, and we had no idea what would be available in the draft. Letting Hitch walk for a $45 million deal elsewhere was an easy decision, but we didn't really have a good replacement behind him. It was Jaylon at an unknown level of health, and Lee for however long his health would hold up.

Jaylon turned it on, then our BPA in the draft turned out to be another LB who was ready to ball the hell out way, way earlier than anyone thought a 1 year starter at Boise State would be able to. So our succession plan at LB went dang near perfect, but we also got pretty lucky too.

I guess the closest parallel is if we let Lawrence walk, Randy Gregory comes back and goes beast mode, and we draft a guy in the second who plays at a top-ten level starting in Week 2. It's like the best case scenario, but it's nothing you'd expect to happen either.

The decision on Hitchens was easy.

He was an average to slightly above average LB that got overpaid because the LB free agent market was fairly blah.